Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 13:54   #31
cruiser

Re: Looking for Feedback On Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
I stand corrected. Clearly, I should have said 'mostly just Dalamatia, covering from Cavtat to Zadar'
It is ok, Dalmatia or not Dalmatia, big deal. Just kidding. only forgot to put few smilies....something like this one
transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:25   #32

Hello again,

Can anyone please shed any light as to whether charter companies in Croatia accept credit card payments for a deposit on a bareboat charter?

A prospective company has advised that credit card payments are not accepted any more in Croatia as a deposit and a direct debit is required. A little bell is going off in the back of my head.

All assistance gratefully accepted.

Thx,

Stendecian
Stendecian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:51   #33
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Wire transfers are pretty common. My marina always wants one. It saves them about 4%.
Old 11-03-2013, 16:49   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stendecian View Post
Hello again,

Can anyone please shed any light as to whether charter companies in Croatia accept credit card payments for a deposit on a bareboat charter?

A prospective company has advised that credit card payments are not accepted any more in Croatia as a deposit and a direct debit is required. A little bell is going off in the back of my head.

All assistance gratefully accepted.

Thx,

Stendecian

do not you worry for croatia and bells in your head, they are not cheat. probably they (croatians) are most honest charter companies in the world.. you worry about little bells in your head if and when you wont to charter boat in your own country. they invented cheating.
probably charters in Croatia started asking for advance payments and direct debit because cheats like your people and other "honest" cruisers. they rent boat and damaged it or did not pay in full and then run away.
Old 11-03-2013, 18:03   #35

Thx Palarran, info was what I was after.

Transformer, what country is it exactly that I am from that happened to invent cheating? You need a cup of bex and a good lie down.
Stendecian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 18:24   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stendecian View Post

Transformer, what country is it exactly that I am from that happened to invent cheating? You need a cup of bex and a good lie down.

Thanks for your concern about my health. but do not worry i have cure. you should be worried, you have bells ringing in your had, if you start hearing voices that is for real concern. .

Old 26-03-2013, 22:06   #37

Boat: between boats

We are looking at cruising croatia south to north this June but keep hearing about the having to pay to anchor issue. On general principal I know I am going to have a issues with some bloke that clearly isnt an official asking for euros to anchor somewhere (no problem with marine park fees collected by an official).

Seems those that have posted here havn't had too many problems but ive heard enough second hand stories by now to know it does go on.

Is there a particular way that you have dealt with these approaches that works? Or particular areas where you can expect to be left alone vs hasselled?

thanks
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 23:15   #38

Boat: Lagoon 440

Truth is in last 12 months of cruising wev'e only been asked to pay twice, once in Kornati National Park and the other in a bay that had 100 moorings, we stopped for lunch and moved on.
You will not get hassled, these people are not like that they have manners. We spent 8 months on the pick at zero cost all over Craotia from PULA to Vis.

CHEERS.
Old 26-03-2013, 23:55   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Truth is in last 12 months of cruising wev'e only been asked to pay twice, once in Kornati National Park and the other in a bay that had 100 moorings, we stopped for lunch and moved on.
You will not get hassled, these people are not like that they have manners. We spent 8 months on the pick at zero cost all over Craotia from PULA to Vis.

CHEERS.
Did you spend any time in Luca Bay in Korcula where there was not even any water accessible ashore, but they were fanatical at collecting high anchoring fees?
Or Vis at both Viska Luka and Komiza?

It is five years since we were there, so the situation may have altered. We did find it particularly annoying being bothered each day and would have far preferred to just have paid a higher yearly cruising fee to start with.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 05:09   #40

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefloki View Post
Furhter Kornati is extremly expensive. Beside the the already high fees for the permission to sail in Croatia, they ask for the Kornati again a bunch of money.
You can however save quite a bit by buying the National Park entrance tickets ahead of time in one of the mainland Marinas.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 05:12   #41

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Agree with Lagoon4Us, I cannot remember any occasion we have been charged to anchor apart from paying a national park entrance fee such as Mljet, Lastovo and the Kornati, but these are not charges to anchor. Neither have we been approached by bogus ones. My feeling is that such behaviour is rare in Croatia.
Things may be different this year given the recent law regarding not allowing anchoring within 300m of an official mooring concession but we shall see.
If you are approached for an anchor fee, ask for an official receipt and hand them your garbage (official concessions have to collect garbage)
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 05:17   #42

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
We are looking at cruising croatia south to north this June but keep hearing about the having to pay to anchor issue. On general principal I know I am going to have a issues with some bloke that clearly isnt an official asking for euros to anchor somewhere (no problem with marine park fees collected by an official).
The Croatian "Ministry of the Sea" has a list of anchorages where concessions exist.
http://www.mppi.hr/UserDocsImages/AN...mj%2012_11.xls
Or use this map:
http://www.wosamma.at/bojenfelder/map.php
There the rule is that you must pay, even if you don't use the mooring buoys. However the person collecting the fee must identify himself, give out a receipt and collect your trash. So far we have not had a problem.
My experience is that in the beginning of the season there are often not enough boats moored up for the guy who collects the fees to even bother showing up. I've also once even stayed overnight in the Kornati without anybody asking for money...

In places where there is no mooring concession you can anchor for free. When I am in Croatia I like to sail to the islands that are a but further away, like Lastovo. Makes for a nice sail, and even in august when the adriatic is overrun by Italians we managed to find a bay all for ourselves on Lastovo.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 12:04   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
Agree with Lagoon4Us, I cannot remember any occasion we have been charged to anchor apart from paying a national park entrance fee such as Mljet, Lastovo and the Kornati, but these are not charges to anchor. Neither have we been approached by bogus ones. My feeling is that such behaviour is rare in Croatia.
Things must have changed then!
Good to hear .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 19:35   #44

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post

CHEERS.
Thats good to hear Frank. Ive been getting revved up with 2nd hand stories of boats being asked to pay fees twice after they got done by a bogus first concession collector etc etc

So you were able to find plenty of non concession anchorages then and its just a case of a bit of planning or were the concessions just not that active?

thanks
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 01:26   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

K V B tells the story about the controlled anchorages and mooring spots. As he pointed out, Wosamma has produced a very useful map of these.

There are, however, far more free anchorages than controlled anchorages, and lots of spots where you can moor with a line ashore. In a some of these spots a local restaurant owner will help you, in the hope you use his place.

you'll find a description of the the anchoring possibilities, and links to three google maps. One is Wosamma's map of controlled anchorages, another is a map of free anchorages close to Split, and yet another shows free anchorages ranging over most of Croatia. All of the anchorages listed have brief notes describing what's good (or bad!) about each place. Great work by the contributors!

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia