Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2016, 14:28   #31
cruiser

Re: Long term cruising questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc View Post
Kenomac, I have often found your posts very useful. Then absolutely free of polemic - I don't like to argue - I fully confirm my last post, which is based on my humble experience of "only" 38 years of boating in the Med, and living in a house which is located in less than half a mile from the sea. For the reason in my own opinion our friends of CF, especially those who are living far away, deserve the availability of reliable answers and informations, as well as an act of respect for them, for their great plans, and for this valuable forum.
OK fair enough. Can we then agree that the Med isn't like sunny Southern California during the winter time, like the OP is expecting?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 14:36   #32
omc

Boat: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
OK fair enough. Can we then agree that the Med isn't like sunny Southern California during the winter time, like the OP is expecting?
I definitely agree with you about that. Newport Beach / Balboa Island / Laguna Beach and the beautiful San Diego Bay are more sunny, less humid, and less windy in winter than the Med (they don't have the "Mistral" wind, good for them !).
I can't wait to be back there again in 3 weeks from now.
Cheers,
Old 22-05-2016, 15:04   #33

Oh bother, winters are notorious in Europe. Think storms, lots of storms. Second, marinas are expensive, can be extremely noisy in the summers, and not perhaps where you would want to be as an older couple. Lot less hassles just to find a long term rental, especially in places like Trieste, and travel by train. For an older woman, would be way more comfy and safe.
If you can, get a non tourist status so you can stay around for three years. Mostly job related. Get ordained as a writer for some publication state side, writing about European tourism.
Beware that the Med from October through March can be really rough; lots of harbors not so great to be in during that time.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 16:16   #34

Boat: Seaward 26RK

If you want to stay in Italy permanently you can apply for Elective Residence. It needs to be done in Italian consulate in the United States though. It will require a lot of paper work proving that you will not be burden to Italian state( carico di Stato). They may require permanent address on the application.
Something similar may exists for other EU states.
facciatosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 17:06   #35

A friend is selling his stone cottage, 800 s.f. in Collodi Castello, Tuscany, Italy for 50k. If interested, can give you his phone number. He is an artist that lives part time there and part time here in mid coast maine. Think your wife would like that better than living in a cold, musty boat.
Old 23-05-2016, 00:23   #36
cruiser

The Mistral is blowing hard today here in Sardinia. Not a good day for boating. Indoor projects for me.

This sort of weather pattern will mostly quit in another week or two until late September. But it can reappear unexpectedly, so all boaters need to keep an eye on the weather forecast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	124738  
Old 23-05-2016, 00:54   #37
cruiser

Mediterranean wind pattern names.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	324
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	124739  
Old 23-05-2016, 07:21   #38
omc

Quote:
The Mistral is blowing hard today here in Sardinia. Not a good day for boating. Indoor projects for me.

This sort of weather pattern will mostly quit in another week or two until late September. But it can reappear unexpectedly, so all boaters need to keep an eye on the weather forecast.
Mistral is blowing hard there and here in Bandol area too with strong gusts while it's not that bad in Antibes (attached map of today) which is the reason why I keep my boat there to avoiding most of the Mistral.

I more than agree with the need to keep a close eye to the weather forecast in the Med where the wind and sea may build up quickly all year round. In my own opinion an electronic barograph (electronic barometer with recording unit and graph) not only to show the pressure but also to measure the rate and the speed the pressure is sometimes dropping seems to me essential in a large part of the Med where we are under the influence of a possible low atmospheric pressure that is often developing in the Gulf of Genoa, bringing some significant height waves.

Your map of Mediterranean wind pattern names is a very interesting synoptic table for those who would be interested to come sailing over here.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	311
Size:	471.9 KB
ID:	124747  
Old 23-05-2016, 07:44   #39
cruiser

Oliver,

I've been using the Pocketgrib app for iPad for five years, but for the Med, I really like subscribing to Bouyweather because it provides 7-10 days including wave height and period. And my newest app Weather 4D Pro is excellent, pictured above with color graphics. The one app I miss having here in the Med is MyRadar which shows approaching storms in real time.

The giant ferries don't seem to be running today in and out of Olbia, but I did see a small cruise ship come in early this morning.
Old 23-05-2016, 07:59   #40

Not so much the wind but the really steep, short period chop that sets up in the med. Off Sicily we literally came to a standstill in our WS43 in 12-20 foot walls of water spaced about 30 feet apart. Our course lay dead into the chop which meant vertical this, vertical that. Gave up and took it on the beam's end till we rounded the boot. Very nasty seas sometimes.
Old 23-05-2016, 12:31   #41
omc

Quote:
Oliver,

I've been using the Pocketgrib app for iPad for five years, but for the Med, I really like subscribing to Bouyweather because it provides 7-10 days including wave height and period. And my newest app Weather 4D Pro is excellent, pictured above with color graphics. The one app I miss having here in the Med is MyRadar which shows approaching storms in real time.

The giant ferries don't seem to be running today in and out of Olbia, but I did see a small cruise ship come in early this morning.

Always pleased to learn and try new things aboard, I can't get enough of them.
I just downloaded Bouyweather signed up for Premium, looks a very reliable source of information for offshore marine weather.

Still looking at Weather 4D Pro compared with Weather 4D 2.0 (Double screens due to new programming language (SWIFT) / handy AIS through AISHub / Weather forecast and optimized auto Routing according to weather / easy transfer from Navionics HD which I already had), to use in double with my Garmin chart plotter.

Thanks Kenomac for this professional suggestion.
Old 23-05-2016, 12:38   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc View Post
Always pleased to learn and try new things aboard, I can't get enough of them.
I just downloaded Bouyweather signed up for Premium, looks a very reliable source of information for offshore marine weather.

Still looking at Weather 4D Pro compared with Weather 4D 2.0 (Double screens due to new programming language (SWIFT) / handy AIS through AISHub / Weather forecast and optimized auto Routing according to weather / easy transfer from Navionics HD which I already had), to use in double with my Garmin chart plotter.

Thanks Kenomac for this professional suggestion.
Please let me know if you can figure out how to make the Mediterranean come up first on the Weather4D screen. Mine keeps showing North America first. Then I need to select the Med. Very annoying.
Old 23-05-2016, 12:55   #43
omc

Quote:
Please let me know if you can figure out how to make the Mediterranean come up first on the Weather4D screen. Mine keeps showing North America first. Then I need to select the Med. Very annoying.
I'm downloading right now then will let you know if I found how to fix the issue.
Old 23-05-2016, 13:28   #44

Boat: Grand Banks 50

Quote:
You can order the "zones" in the zones screen by "editing". The one at the top of the list will come up first.

You can erase the zones you don't need so they are not downloaded.
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 13:46   #45

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Weather really depends on where you are in the mess. Mistral gets really nasty, and weather Windows between are short on winter. That wind makes long distance crossings dangerous and living aboard uncomfortable.

But we also spent a lovely late season in southern Spain until we crossed to the canary islands for Christmas.
May also be an option for you.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, long term cruising