Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2018, 05:50   #91

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Re: Long stay visa help? Spain? France?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
In that case I'll have to stop flying Ryan Air, TAP and Easy Jet.. in each case one has to provide passport
But where do you fly to? I have a suspicion that most of your flights are probably to/from the UK.
And when I fly to the UK I do also have to give my passport nr. And that each time, for each flight, as I already indicated.

Incidentally I flew TAP from Barcelona to Lisbon last year, and did not show my ID at the gate their either.

Quote:
Who do you fly..???
Swiss usually, or another one of the *A airlines.

Within the Schengen area the airports are now systematically divided in a "Schengen" and a "non Schengen" zone. You first enter the Schengen zone, and do not need to show an ID for that, then from there you proceed to the "non Schengen" zone, where you do have to show an ID.
But for a flight within Schengen, like the one from Zurich to Copenhagen I took on monday, you do not have to show an ID a single time.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:07   #92
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Long stay visa help? Spain? France?

Actually I've not flown to the UK for several years now.. I live in Portugal so mainly Holland, Spain, France, Greece, Malta.. places that have a boat to pick up and deliver or that I've just delivered to..
Lisbon I've yet to go through into the boarding area without have to show my ID and boarding pass before the security check in and again before boarding.. Porto the same.. Amsterdam's Schipol airport likewise.. Athens.. Paris..
Coming off I pass through the passport scanner gate that's for EU citizens, but for boarding security is always tight.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:32   #93

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Lisbon I've yet to go through into the boarding area without have to show my ID and boarding pass before the security check in and again before boarding.. Porto the same.. Amsterdam's Schipol airport likewise.. Athens.. Paris..
Most airports I have passed through last year now have automatic gates before security, and scanning your (real or fake) boarding pass is sufficient to gain entry.
I have noticed that where the gates are still manned many people do indeed show ID and boarding pass simultaneously, out of habit, not knowing they don't need to.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:05   #94
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Don't forget not just face recognition but location data from your cellphone is tracked, apparently even with it turned off, most modern phones can't remove the battery anymore.

Even with burners, voice recognition is a done deal, very high hit rates now.

Computational and storage capacity also no longer an issue.

Why would they ruffle our feathers by asking for papers, when they have no need to?

If not fully collated and widely shared with police/immigration/tax authorities now, very likely will be sooner or later.

My friends and ICT colleagues used to call me tin-hat paranoid when ten years ago I was stating what Snowden then revealed to be true.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:20   #95
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

John-
Despite the battery issue (which apparently is only an issue if you have let malware be installed on the phone) it is possible to "shut" any phone.
You'll see ads for "radiation safe" cell phone holders. Typically a cloth or neoprene pouch with a flap over it, made from a metalized fabric liner. The metal fabrics actually have enough metal in them to stop cell phone signals, some are sold as "antiradiation" to prevent the cell phone from radiating into your body, leaving the outer side open for signals.
So, if it is fully metalized inside, try it. Odds are the phone can't receive calls and it works. If that isn't an option, just wrap a piece of aluminum foil around the phone. Perfect Faraday Cage, no signal in or out. DO turn the phone off, or into airplane mode, before putting metal around it though, as a phone will go from low power (6mw) to full power (600mw) as it tries to find a tower signal. So a wrapped phone will quickly go to full power, and stay at full power, running down the battery.

KVB-
Well, if he declared you to be a US citizen, not a triple citizen but a US citizen? Then you'd have to leave the Schengen Zone because US citizens are only allowed to be there for 90 days in a row. Your other citizenships? What, like they can't be declared null and void? No one in Europe ever made a declaration of annexation, or other unilateral "orders" ? ( Yes, I know, you have bunkers on the mountain passes. )
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 14:01   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Well, if he declared you to be a US citizen, not a triple citizen but a US citizen? Then you'd have to leave the Schengen Zone because US citizens are only allowed to be there for 90 days in a row.
What‘s he going to do? Come over in Air Farce 1 and confiscate my passports?

Quote:
Your other citizenships? What, like they can't be declared null and void? No one in Europe ever made a declaration of annexation, or other unilateral "orders" ? ( Yes, I know, you have bunkers on the mountain passes. )

Unilateral declarations are just that. Declarations.

Are you unilaterally trying to be very silly?
Old 06-02-2018, 20:36   #97

Boat: Jeanneau SO 440

Hello fieldtrip400. My wife and I are going through the French long stay visa process right now here in the U.S., before we depart this spring for a summer sail in the Med. We will let you know how it goes. There are a lot of steps and forms to complete, but so far I haven't seen any hurdles of Olympic proportions to overcome. My impression is that they are trying to make sure that (a) we have the means to travel for the length of the visa period, (b) we are not criminals (a mandatory criminal history report from the local police department took care of that), (c) that we promise we won't work while there (there's an affidavit form for this), (d) we can prove that we have accommodations - bill of sale or rental agreement (I'm not sure what they will accept from us on this one - ownership of the boat?) and (e) proof we have health insurance. The consulate also had paperwork for requesting a resident permit, but this seemed like a dicey approach, as my understanding is we would then be required to pay VAT on the boat. In the end, we are hoping they will look favorably on us, as we are buying a French boat!

And good luck on your family cruise plans. We took our young boys on a year long cruise awhile back, homeschooling along the way, and it was an incredible experience for all of us.
tgrimmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:39   #98
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Long stay visa help? Spain? France?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrimmett View Post
Hello fieldtrip400. My wife and I are going through the French long stay visa process right now here in the U.S., before we depart this spring for a summer sail in the Med. We will let you know how it goes. There are a lot of steps and forms to complete, but so far I haven't seen any hurdles of Olympic proportions to overcome. My impression is that they are trying to make sure that (a) we have the means to travel for the length of the visa period, (b) we are not criminals (a mandatory criminal history report from the local police department took care of that), (c) that we promise we won't work while there (there's an affidavit form for this), (d) we can prove that we have accommodations - bill of sale or rental agreement (I'm not sure what they will accept from us on this one - ownership of the boat?) and (e) proof we have health insurance. The consulate also had paperwork for requesting a resident permit, but this seemed like a dicey approach, as my understanding is we would then be required to pay VAT on the boat. In the end, we are hoping they will look favorably on us, as we are buying a French boat!

And good luck on your family cruise plans. We took our young boys on a year long cruise awhile back, homeschooling along the way, and it was an incredible experience for all of us.
If your buying a French boat you can wash the VAT worry out of your mind.. unless its a decommissioning charter boat.
VAT is a one off tax on a new item.. once paid that's it until you export it then wish to re import after 3yrs.
State taxes won't be liable till after the boats been permanently in the country for 12 consecutive months.. in fact my UK flagged boats in Portugal have never been flagged for taxes and I'm a UK national with full residency in the Schengen zone.
Mind.. France makes up its own laws..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 18:27   #99

Hi all,

good to say hello to you. I have been reading for quite a while here and on lots of other forums - and, I guess it's time to say hello and share some things.

After reading for quite a while about the rules, the weather, the costs and god knows what else has to be considered before embarking on some European/British cruising, and reading a multitude of posts from people speculating and people who are doing it in many ways – I have not seen, so far, anyone who is actually doing what I want to do. So, can I ask if there is anyone out there who is doing it with the same idea and conditions – and, if there is – is it doable easily or is it a pain in the bum administratively or otherwise. TIA.

I know how to live in boats and small vehicles – I have had years of experience there – it’s more the admin. Etc. That is the issue (and, perhaps European weather on a full year basis).

My intention is to fly from Australia and land somewhere in Europe or Britain (depending on where my boat for sale priority list begins) – then to buy a boat (which will be suitable for inland Europe and coastal Europe at least.
I want to be able to spend about a couple of years – possibly more – flitting like a happy little mosquito from country to country or area to area.
I will not require work – I have a permanent income and documents to prove it etc..

I don’t mind cool to cold weather - so I think I will be able to survive a winter there somewhere on a boat quite happily.

Also – I am a very slow traveller – a naturally aspirated sloth, with a headwind and a bad limp can usually pass me on a backwater. Not that that is important for this exercise – just to show that my itinerary isn’t time restricted or similar – in fact, I don’t have an itinerary at all bar Europe/Britain, should I survive the food and wine of France and the convivality of the people of Europe - I shall concern myself with what comes later - later – the practical itinerary will be set by the requirements of weather and bureaucratic idiosyncrasy only, with the potential odd occasion of being led astray.

I will be doing it solo – with occasional visiting guests – and, I understand that in locks etc. That the rules state that 2 on board are a minimum – I will get around that as necessary – my plan being that if I don’t have a travel companion for a leg –then at worst, I will accost and capture a passing backpacker or similar for a short kidnap to get through a lock – then, release them unharmed (or just chuck em over if they are a pain in the bum).

The question in a nutshell - is there anyone out there actually doing all that now who can comment please on whether it's a pragmatic and comfortable way of life -- or is it an administrative nightmare?

thank you all - have a great weekend and happy cruising.

Pinto
Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:24   #100
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Pinto-
I think you will find the Pardey's and some others have written extensively about cruising the canal systems ("inland" waters) in Europe, including details of what limits you will find on height and width and draft, all of which are essential on the canals and tunnels, and you need to expect less draft if there's a drought at the time.
But as to the administrative side, I think that it pretty much always a unique case as each person has different rights/limits according to their citizenship(s), whether they are in or out of the Schengen zone, and particularly, how willing they are to bend or ignore the rules.
My suggestion is to *write* to the consulates or directly to the nations that you plan to visit, and ask for their written reply,along with any comments as to changes they expect to come. Remember, all the rules change from time to time, often on the first of the next year.
What worked for anyone anywhere else last year? May not apply to YOU, this or next year.
Old 10-02-2018, 13:03   #101

thanks for that hellosailor

"including details of what limits you will find on height and width and draft, all of which are essential on the canals and tunnels, and you need to expect less draft if there's a drought at the time."

I have no problems with the boating side at all -- that's a management doddle.

it's purely the admin on moving around.

I find it difficult to believe that I am all that unique -

a self funded, non Schengen/non UK resident -- who wants to stick around for a few years

I wouldn't have thought we were all that rare a breed --

but, my mother did often say that I was a different child

I can see the rules quite clearly without speaking with consulates or embassies -- it's not the actual rules that make asking someone who is actually doing it of value -- it's basically how much stuffing around it actually is when one is on the ground.

It's things like how much poop you are in if you stuff it up or get caught waiting and overstay - in various places -- only experience counts there.

I would be certain that someone who has been doing it for a few years would have the system down pat (and, yes, of course the rules change and probably far too often).

thanks for your reply - have a great Sunday (or rest of the weekend for you)

Pinto
Old 10-02-2018, 14:26   #102
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dunno. Haven't heard a lot about Australians being world traveling vacation tourists until the last few years, either Australians abroad are unusual (so much of the world being a LONG flight for you folks) or you've been sneaking by, hard to tell without the bright Aloha shirts that others wear.(G)

But yes, somehow the EU/Schengen schemes have decided that long-term casual tourists are now "repugnant pestilential foreign trash" to be kept out at all costs, rather than "visitors who might leave money with us". I don't know why, but considering the size that both have grown to (no, really, Iceland and Croatia? Will be part of one "zone" ?) it makes no sense to say "OK folks, you have only 90 days to see it all, then go home."
From what I've heard, Ozzies are considered ex-British Empire and as such still treated somewhat as natives over there. I suppose we in America could sue for the same status and no doubt her Majesty would not be amused.(G)
Old 10-02-2018, 14:52   #103

hi again,

na, you are a bit misinformed there

Aussies are everywhere - almost plague proportions.

And, in places like France - where, sometimes we get pinged as being English -

when, they are informed that we are not English - we are Australian - we get lots of hugs.

Of course, we are naturally attractive, so, that's got a bit to do with it.

In the boating/charter world - if you look at videos eg. Arctic cruises -- listen and you will hear 'lots' of Aussie and New Zealand accents from crew -- I think they have a breeding program up there. I bet there are a lot of Aussie conversions to Vodka on Russian ships. Russians and Aussie get togethers make for some very memorable nights (for onlookers).

You are most certainly correct in that 90 days is a mere drop in the ocean for looking around - I was only looking at the Moselle from Trier - heading towards Frankfurt - it's a very small part of the area - and, I would think there are days and days of cruising just in that tiny bit. In Trier alone, I could spend many days (have done in the past) - so, with time not being a personal pressure - 3 months is just silly.

Then, if you look at a map and zoom out - see where you have to go to actually get the boat into there (Trier) -- and, out of there within the 90 days to satisfy things - well, it's beyond silly - assuming you want to stay with the boat - which I do - it's going to be home for years.

I might have to declare war and invade if I can't get around a tourist timetable.

Pinto
Old 10-02-2018, 15:56   #104
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Traveling the world over many decades yes Aussies are the most prolific travellers by far, well out of proportion to their population.

Usually for many months even years at a time, and often working their way.

Only way you could miss them while travelling is staying only in boring posh places.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:43   #105
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Pinto-
Being an uneducated Colonial I can only recall vaguely that the French and English have a thousand years or so of invasion and conquest issues that sometimes get in the way. So your thoughts of declaring war will seem perfectly normal to the French, just continuing the tradition. As long as you remain outside of Paris, you will even gather local support if you simply reply "We are here to sack and burn Paris!". Even less love lost between Parisians and the rest of France, the city is a nation all it's own, somewhat upset by all the rabble outside the city limits.
And of course if you are caught IN Paris, you can always say "Ninety? Is it already ninety? I don't know, we don't count that high" and of course the Parisians will readily forgive that, they know you're a barbarian from somewhere (anywhere, everywhere) out of town anyway.(G)

Tags
France, Spain