Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 13:41   #1

Boat: Farr 50
Lisbon Portugal Marina advice?

Hello all-
We started in Annapolis and are currently in the Azores and off to Lisbon soon. We are wondering if any of you have any recent experience in any of the Marinas from Lisbon and on towards Gibraltar??? If anyone needs Azores advice feel free to contact us...

Thanks,

John
TENHO - Farr 50
johnandtessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 14:06   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Lisbon Portugal Marina advice?

Vilamoura - fake, plastic marina surrounded by timeshare apartments. Harbour water smelled because it lacks any through flow. Stop only if you need to for a rest or fuel.

Cadiz - Has a new marina but ended up in the fish harbour for some reason that the skipper failed to explain, probably down to cost. Anyway, fish dock smelled of err fish However, old town very pretty.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 14:27   #3

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Albufera, beyond Portimao. Proper yacht marina with facilties.
Portimao is more of an industrial port with a large area protected by sea walls, many yachts anchored there last time I was down that way.
No sailing experience down that way, just a tourist with intent, one day.
The sand banks and fishing villages east of Faro provide safe anchorages and fairly friendly natives in the summer. Good lay over for routine repairs and resuscperation. Fairly big town too. International Airport, note runway alignment and avoid flight path.
Jealous!
Old 04-08-2012, 14:37   #4

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Checking on Google Maps, satellite view, there's precious little boating activity in Lisbon, the main harbour, or the lagoon just south.
Note, this is a dangerous lee shore, and busy shipping lanes from europe and from the south, I'd suggest a middle of the channel approach toward gibraltar straights and a daylight approach across the main routes to Portimao. Register there and hop along the coast, it's a beautiful place to be. Albufeira marina is to the side of the town, an easy walk of a mile but hilly, and good cheap buses. Great night life with western music outside nearly al the pubs in the 'old fishing village'. Five visits so far (by plane), love it.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:33   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandtessa View Post
We are wondering if any of you have any recent experience in any of the Marinas from Lisbon and on towards Gibraltar???
John,

See my web site: West Portugal | JimB Sail . Here's an excerpt from that page referring to Lisboa:
Quote:
There are three reliable marina choices, and a good wintering yard. Choices. Leave the boat outside at the rather expensive and pretentious Cascais marina (nice town though!) and catch the train to Lisboa. If there's room, park in Porto de Recreio de Oeiras, just north of the light at the river Tagus entrance. Or pass under the big bridge, and enter Doca de Alcantara, cheaper, convenient for the city centre, but noisy with bridge traffic and nightlife. Opposite is Seixal, with a free anchorage, frequent ferries across the river to Lisbon, and Tagus Yacht Centre, a very well equipped new yard, cheap and suitable for shore layup. About 6nm further up river, same side as Lisboa, is Marina de Parque das Nações, good value, plenty of room, good for layup afloat, good shops and restaurants within 1km, bus or metro to town centre, closest to airport.
It's 4 years since I last visited this coast, but I have incorporated reports from several of my site members who cruised the coast this spring, so this should be pretty up to date.

Other pages cover S Portugal and Spain, then the Med, so they may help you with further info.
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:53   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Cascais Marina isn't cheap, no, but the town is very nice.

Setubal is also pretty. Sines is an overlooked gem because it's a big industrial port with a nice little marina at the far end and clean, basic facilities. Just have your papers in order. There are some great seafood restaurants in Sines. It's about halfway between Cascais and Cape St. Vincent/Sagres.

I agree about Vilamoura, but as I was a guest...

My Portuguese skipper friend loves to holiday at anchor around Culatra...tricky navigation through the sand bars, but a dream to swim, apparently.

Be aware that Portugal in general is a pretty rough shoreline and largely a lee shore, except in the mornings when you may get easterlies. I don't know much about the north, except that it's pretty basic and fish-industry oriented. Porto looks beautiful, though.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:18   #7

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat

Beware that Cascais marina charges on a daily basis starting at 1200hrs, so if you arrive at 1000hrs that's your day 1! You can anchor off the marina entrance in the bay which is a popular spot for Lisbon day boats. An excellent restaurant called L'Entrecote is on the west side of the marina complex.

In the Algarve don't overlook the Alvor lagoon, my favourite place on the Algarve.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:35   #8

Boat: Custom 70’ pilot house

If you are thinking of going to Lisbon, then definitely make your stop at the marina in Oeras (pronounced O-wey-rash).
Great marina, great prices (special discount for those coming across the Atlantic), great staff.
Say hello to Manuel and Joao (John) and regards from Ron if you go there.

Safe crossing.
Ron
Atraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 17:38   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Cascais is OK but pricey in season. The train to Lisboa goes every 30 minutes or so.

Cadiz is a nice place to visit on your way to Gibraltar.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 00:48   #10

Thank you for all the excellent and detailed advice! I think we will depart today and give Oeiras a try. We really appreciate the help. Hopefully we'll be all settled in in a week or so and we'll let you know how things are going.

Thanks again,

John
TENHO
Old 19-09-2012, 01:30   #11
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

We just sailed that coast John. Theres an excellent choice if Marinas and anchorages all the way down, mostly under 60 miles apart. Most can be seen in our blog if you are interested. Sephina
PM me if you have any questions
Monte
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 02:43   #12

Boat: J/120

Looks like I'm a bit late, but perhaps it will be useful for others.

We crossed from Annapolis via the Azores to Portugal in July. Originally we were going to head directly to Oeiras (and we'd heard about the special pricing for Atlantic crossers, glad to know that is really happening).

We ended up going to Porto and a brand new marina called Douro Marina in the Rio Douro. This is a brand new facility with super helpful staff that just opened earlier this year. The docks are very nice and the land based buildings are well under construction. Right now bathrooms, showers, and offices are in temporary buildings. The pricing is very attractive right now as they are keen to attract people into the marina. From what I can tell and what I've heard it is huge improvement over stopping at Leixoes just a few miles north. Douro Marina is walking distance from the famous Porto wineries and a really pleasant location. We plan to stay there awhile and do some land based travelling.
sv Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 05:15   #13

Shearwater - Thanks for the reply regardless. We had a good trip though Portugal and are moving up the Spanish coast. Just docked in Cartegena this morning. We will stay here for a big festival then find a good window to dash over to Sardinia. I have checked out your website and I think there have been several occasions were we have been very close. Anyway, best wishes for a great winter. John
Old 19-09-2012, 05:17   #14

Monte - thanks for the info. Currently in Cartegena. I will check out your website today. John
Old 20-09-2012, 08:19   #15

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandtessa View Post
Shearwater - Thanks for the reply regardless. We had a good trip though Portugal and are moving up the Spanish coast. Just docked in Cartegena this morning. We will stay here for a big festival then find a good window to dash over to Sardinia. I have checked out your website and I think there have been several occasions were we have been very close. Anyway, best wishes for a great winter. John
There's a Canadian cruising couple now in Greece who had plenty to say about Spanish and North African marinas. Plenty of good advice on the good, the bad and the ugly right here:

Benners Adrift
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Portugal