Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 14:17   #1
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Kassandra and Sithonia Peninsula's

I'm hoping some of you Med sailors can give me some information about the Chalkidiki region and the two peninsulas available to cruise. My family has 4 weeks to leave from Rafina and return to Paros. I had planned on heading up Evia and then to the Sporades. From there we would go over to the North Aegean islands, down to Fourni, then back west to Paros.

Looking at Google Earth, the Sithonia Peninsula really looks beautiful and if we don't get there this year, it likely won't ever happen. Would you trade 5 to 7 days in this area over Lesvos, Chios, and Ikaria?

I'm kind of thinking:
Rafina to Skiathos - 5 days
Skiathos to Kyra Panagia - 10 days
then
Kyra Panagia to Sithonia - 6 days
Sithonia to Paros - 6 days via Skyros, Andros, Tinos
Or
Kyra Panagia to Limnos then down to Ikaria/Fourni - 12 days.

The distances aren't great so really anything is possible but if anyone has "must see's and do's" I'd appreciate hearing them
Old 28-03-2016, 14:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Kassandra and Sithonia Peninsula's

Carry cash.. on the mainland N of Evia I had to go 35km inland to find a cash point.. Platania where I was anchored had nothing, the shops and restaurants would not take plastic so I had to get a ride to Promyri to top up with funds.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:56   #3

Boat: Faurby 396
Kassandra and Sithonia Peninsula's

From Kira Panagia sail to Porto Koufo (Sythonia tip), it is a must visit place and very protected bay (German submarines used the bay to hide during the WW2). If there is no place at the concrete dock, just anchor opposite. Though bottom is weed and does not hold well, you would not expect dragging anchors conditions. "Koufo" means "deaf" because no matter the seas roar outside the very enclosed bay, inside you will not hear anything. I kept my boat there free of charge last summer. It tends to become hot and windless during the summer. Then you can explore the east coast of Sythonia and go north as far a Pyrgadikia just between Athos and Sythonia, passing through Kalamitsi, Sikia. Don't miss the coves along the inside of the island of Diapora very close to and opposite Sythonia northeast coast And you will have all the time the imposing view of Mount Athos.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
olianta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:29   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Kassandra and Sithonia Peninsula's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I'm hoping some of you Med sailors can give me some information about the Chalkidiki region and the two peninsulas available to cruise. My family has 4 weeks to leave from Rafina and return to Paros. I had planned on heading up Evia and then to the Sporades. From there we would go over to the North Aegean islands, down to Fourni, then back west to Paros.

Looking at Google Earth, the Sithonia Peninsula really looks beautiful and if we don't get there this year, it likely won't ever happen. Would you trade 5 to 7 days in this area over Lesvos, Chios, and Ikaria?

I'm kind of thinking:
Rafina to Skiathos - 5 days
Skiathos to Kyra Panagia - 10 days
then
Kyra Panagia to Sithonia - 6 days
Sithonia to Paros - 6 days via Skyros, Andros, Tinos
Or
Kyra Panagia to Limnos then down to Ikaria/Fourni - 12 days.

The distances aren't great so really anything is possible but if anyone has "must see's and do's" I'd appreciate hearing them
We visited Sithonia Peninsula and the northern part of Athos several summers back. If I had not previously visited Lesbos and Chios I would not trade them for the Chalkidiki peninsulas. Ikaria I would skip - it blew 40+ knots unrelentingly there several years ago while the surrounding islands were dramatically less affected. I think Icarus's wings blew off, not melted off there .

Fourni and Chios are two of my all time favourite Aegean islands.

The Sithonia area is mainland, so it is readily accessible by all Europeans and their runabouts. This lends quite a different flavour with a high number of tourists and daytrippers in certain areas. The northern region had little wind (no meltemi). This may be viewed as a positive or negative . The south eastern side of Sithonia was affected by truly nasty swell rolling in from around the tip of Athos.

The overwhelming highlight for me was anchoring just north of the anchorage shown on the northern edge of Ouranoupoli. Crystal clear aqua water. Access to lots of tavernas via a short dinghy ride, but total privacy otherwise. The history is fascinating. If visiting, read a bit about the Byzantine tower and last occupants (an Aussie/British couple who took up residence at the time a settlement for relocation of Turkish Greeks was established in the 1920's). If you can gain access visit the tower and check out the rugs. Long story about them.

If you do plan to visit the area I can provide you with more info.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote