Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2012, 04:19   #106

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 54
Re: Karpas Gate Marina, Northern Cyprus - The Truth

If anybody is interested in either a ride to/from Larnaca airport of the shared use of a rental car in a couple of weeks please let me know. I'll be arriving at Larnaca airport (from Moscow!) at 2pm on Thursday the 5th of April and driving up to the marina. I'll be leaving Larnaca again on Sunday April 15th at 5am in the morning.

Will have space in the car or can add names to insurance, etc if you'd like the use of the car for a few days while I'm around - just let me know.

Phil
S/Y 37 Rocks
PhilDuhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 03:24   #107
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Anyone know of Gas for the stove is in the marina or near by for sale?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 03:26   #108

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

You can take the bottle to the office and they will have it filled. Usually takes a few days. Or you can take it to the first little grocery store on the right as you walk to the village and they will handle it for you. That also takes a few days. The marina does charge a fee for the service but it isn't much.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 04:53   #109

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Anyone know of Gas for the stove is in the marina or near by for sale?
Hi ours is one of the larger bottles and the marina got it filled (12kg) and the cost was billed to us at 19€. Were happy with that.

Peter
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 05:11   #110
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Judy & Peter-how is the food store in the marina- does it have a good selection of Produce, fruits/veggies
Old 23-03-2012, 05:25   #111

Thumbs up Re: Karpas Gate Marina, Northern Cyprus - The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Thanks Judy & Peter-how is the food store in the marina- does it have a good selection of Produce, fruits/veggies
Hi, yes it has a small selection and enough to get you by on. It is a small shop and does not have the selection that is available in the village. We are VERY pleased with the quality from the shop and use it regularly.
If what you want is not there you only have to ask it they will get it for you if they can.

Peter
Old 27-03-2012, 09:46   #112

Sadly allthough the papers were signed and all agreements made IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO CHECK OUT of Karpaz Gate Marina. Such a shame. I do believe that eventually (a couple of weeks) it WILL all be up and running.
Old 28-03-2012, 13:09   #113

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivonia View Post
Sadly allthough the papers were signed and all agreements made IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO CHECK OUT of Karpaz Gate Marina. Such a shame. I do believe that eventually (a couple of weeks) it WILL all be up and running.
You have certainly confused me!

What papers? Who's agreement? Yours, KGM's or Immigrations?

Are you saying that KGM is NOT a Port of Entry?

Albert
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:18   #114

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon

It appears that KGM's Port of Entry status is in tatters.

Two yachts left today but had to sail to Girne (50nm) to clear out.

They had given KGM at least 7 days notice of leaving. However, there are no immigration officials at the marina. There is no immigartion computer system (which apparently needs it's own dedicated secure line) so clearance cannot be done from KGM. No one knows when they will be able to provide the service.

Permission was refused for them to go to either Famagusta or Girne by taxi, complete the clearance, return to KGM then sail away.

More yachts want to leave in the coming days. Should prove interesting and even more so if and when boats arrive (the EMYR is coming soon) under the belief that they can sign in here.

Some people who were going to take up KGM's 50% savings on mooring contract have now changed their minds due to the hassle of clearing out. Others who took up the offer are considering cancelling and asking for refunds.
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:36   #115
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I suppose, there still working out the kinks and hopefully will get it together before the bulk of the yachts want to start sailing- I hope officials will change there mind and let them bring the paper work to Grime by taxi in the mean time
Old 02-04-2012, 02:33   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyagimoon View Post
It appears that KGM's Port of Entry status is in tatters.

.........snipped.......

Some people who were going to take up KGM's 50% savings on mooring contract have now changed their minds due to the hassle of clearing out. Others who took up the offer are considering cancelling and asking for refunds.
Really? That is really hard to believe. Hard for me to comprehend that someone who was seriously considering staying here 6 months or longer would change their mind simply because they MIGHT have to return to the place they cleared into the country in order to clear out. Who knows what will happen during that interim; the clearance problem could be resolved by the time they want to leave next season. But I guess there is no logic sometimes.

We will be leaving KGM later this month and sailing to Turkey, so going to Girne is not a big deal. Instead of a normal speed overnight 130NM sail straight to Alanya, it is simple enough to go to Girne to clear out. Then a very slow 96NM overnight to Alanya. I have been told by another boat here that it is not possible to clear out if we anchor at Girne; that officials will not clear people out who arrive by dinghy. That means one must go into the marina at Girne in order to clear out. That does not make me happy because that 'marina' in Girne is both dangerous and expensive.

Judy
Old 02-04-2012, 04:57   #117
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Really? That is really hard to believe. Hard for me to comprehend that someone who was seriously considering staying here 6 months or longer would change their mind simply because they MIGHT have to return to the place they cleared into the country in order to clear out. Who knows what will happen during that interim; the clearance problem could be resolved by the time they want to leave next season. But I guess there is no logic sometimes.

We will be leaving KGM later this month and sailing to Turkey, so going to Girne is not a big deal. Instead of a normal speed overnight 130NM sail straight to Alanya, it is simple enough to go to Girne to clear out. Then a very slow 96NM overnight to Alanya. I have been told by another boat here that it is not possible to clear out if we anchor at Girne; that officials will not clear people out who arrive by dinghy. That means one must go into the marina at Girne in order to clear out. That does not make me happy because that 'marina' in Girne is both dangerous and expensive.

Judy
Judy I cleared in in Grime when I arrived and went into the marina, the woman running the place was very nice - I had to stay a few days due to weather and because I came in on a friday she did not charge me for the weekend and I left first thing Monday morning- I forgot what I paid for the 1 day but it was not bad-
Old 02-04-2012, 06:19   #118

Ram,

We paid 65 Euros for 1 night at the "marina" in Girne when we cleared into N Cyprus.

A 1 year old catamaran currently docked at Karpaz Gate was badly damaged at the marina in Girne a few months ago. It was damaged when the bow line let go and the cat twisted causing the port side to slam into the steel docks at Girne. Those docks have steel protrusions welded to the sides of the docks...The steel protrusions tried to stop the cat before it hit the floating steel dock, but when steel and fiberglass struggle, steel usually wins. At the end of the struggle the protrusions were inside the cat.

I agree with you about the woman that runs the marina at Girne, she is capable and very courteous.

Bill
Old 18-04-2012, 04:10   #119

FWIW, the first boat cleared out of Karpaz Gate Marina this morning for departure to Turkey. Apparently a lot of bureaucratic hassle involving visits to the marina by 4 separate officials, but now that the first boat has tested the process and successfully cleared departure it should be easier for future boats.

The first of anything is always the most difficult. Hopefully, it will soon become routine now that the designated officials know what to do.

Judy
Old 18-04-2012, 05:21   #120
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hows the weather? Is it time for sailing yet? Has the winter storms let up?

Tags
Cyprus