Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 00:39   #61

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon
Re: Karpas Gate Marina, Northern Cyprus - The Truth

Please, please don’t let all this put anyone off from visiting here. I don’t believe anyone is trying to put people off. We are trying to show it as it is - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
The Marina is in fact very modern, state of the art and in a beautiful setting.
It’s brand new, the staff are new to this game and inexperienced. They really try to please and help. Unfortunately, IMHO the owners / management do not give them any real authority or freedom to make decisions. The Owners /Management shall we say have the ability to flower out the truth. This makes it difficult to determine what is true, wishful thinking or even a lie. Some of their press releases and statements made on the Marina Web site would in UK be classed as misrepresentation.
The Marina and staff as said are all new and as such are going through a massive learning curve, there are numerous teething problems but given time they will sort it. We the yachties that are there are their guinea pigs and at the same time are their mentors.
Yes, Karpaz Gate Marina is miles from anywhere (both by land and Sea). But, if you are aware of that you can be prepared and act accordingly. If you know that there are only 2 buses pass the marina (0615 & 0715) which can get you to Famagusta, then you can plan for that. I.e. get up early to catch the bus or hire a car.
The island (and I’ll include both North & South in this) is beautiful, there is loads and loads to see, the people are friendly, warming and helpful. E.g. one yachty at the Marina was out walking and was lucky enough to witness a calf being borne, the farmer and his family invited her into their home to “celebrate” and have tea. You don’t get that in down town London.
Some say that the Marina fees are expensive, some are happy with the fees. Each to his/her own. Check their web site and contact them they have some special deals going at the moment.
IMHO Karpaz Gate will be a great place to winter, especially if you were to spent the autumn (Oct/ Nov) and spring (Mar/Apr) on board / sightseeing and the rest of the time back in your home country. To stay here for the whole winter is a real test. The biggest drawback (which I’m sure they will change) is not being able to live aboard when the boat is out of the water. However, I could not recommend it for the summer season as there are no real safe anchorages and only 2 Marinas / Harbour namely Karpaz Gate and Girne.
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:18   #62

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
Bill ,well i am glad they ignored one of your suggestions re wind generators i just got elec bill which is for 27 days of elec supply of which i only have it tickle feeding my batteries and the bill Came to a WHOPPING 176 euros so when i come out next week my wind generator will be going up and mains power disconnected
Dale,

Your boat must use a lot more electricity than our Amel. The invoice I just received for the last 30-day period was for 103 Euro. We have 3 central heating units and ran all 3 some of the time, and 1 or 2 most of the daylight hours. That, and a TV/DVD going 20 hours a day...usually 2 computers all day, also running 2 battery chargers which are charging a total of 13 ea. - 105 amp batteries, hair dryers, microwave, 1 freezer and 1 fridge, halogen lights, etc. etc.

Is it possible that you were here part of the time or, is it possible that you have an electrical problem. We are connected to the same pedestal and during the last month that pedestal has cut off 3 times...you and I are the only ones connected...I have checked everything on BeBe.

I hope that you do not run your wind generator, but if you do I will ask to be moved. I am sure that you will understand.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:29   #63
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyagimoon View Post
If you know that there are only 2 buses pass the marina (0615 & 0715) which can get you to Famagusta, then you can plan for that. I.e. get up early to catch the bus or hire a car.
I know about the 2 buss leaving the marinia- what about when folks land at the airport how will we return -is there a way to find a bus all or most of the way back and if not what will it cost for a cab??
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:40   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I know about the 2 buss leaving the marinia- what about when folks land at the airport how will we return -is there a way to find a bus all or most of the way back and if not what will it cost for a cab??
there is a dolmus to kyrenia that cost's 5 euro,from there take a cab.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:43   #65

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Thumbs up Re: Karpas Gate Marina, Northern Cyprus - The Truth

Hi Ram, you are disconnected from the electricity. I did'nt do so some one beat me to it

There a people with cars, car hire cars and a lot of the sraff give lifts as well as the locals giving lifts.

Fair winds

Peter
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:54   #66

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Ram , there are three buse's from famugusta to karpaz 1/ 11.00am 2/14.00? 3/ 17.00 cost is 8tl from Ercan airport you can take airport bus from airport to famagusta when you get to famugusta its about a 100 meter walk to bus station to catch the karpaz flyer or if you like to catch a taxi from airport (ercan) to karpaz it will cost about 160tl i can give the email and phone No of a good turkish guy speaks good english and is a safe driver unlike few others out there
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:05   #67

Bill i have only spent 3 days there this yr on feb 3 to 6 prior to this i was not connected to the power so this is a high bill i think there is a prob with the pedestal as before xmas the staff come over to see why the meter was spinning at 1000 mph and i wasn't even connected to the mains ,so bill can you pull my plug out of the pedestal for me please, thank you
Old 02-03-2012, 08:33   #68

Exclamation Re: Karpas Gate Marina, Northern Cyprus - The Truth

Quote:
Ram , there are three buse's from famugusta to karpaz 1/ 11.00am 2/14.00? 3/ 17.00 cost is 8tl from Ercan airport you can take airport bus from airport to famagusta when you get to famugusta its about a 100 meter walk to bus station to catch the karpaz flyer or if you like to catch a taxi from airport (ercan) to karpaz it will cost about 160tl i can give the email and phone No of a good turkish guy speaks good english and is a safe driver unlike few others out there
Wow that is an expensive taxi. HAGGLE it might help!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:44   #69

well just a drop in the ocean for us aussie's so pete of up to the restrobar for your cod and chips and mushy peas tonight
Old 02-03-2012, 09:00   #70

Talking Re: Karpas Gate Marina, Northern Cyprus - The Truth

Quote:
well just a drop in the ocean for us aussie's so pete of up to the restrobar for your cod and chips and mushy peas tonight
G'day mate. get me a fosters When r u cumin over (like mi spelin)

Peter
Old 02-03-2012, 09:56   #71

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Sounds like a great place !! sure beats wooden docks, and Bum pileings, nasty water,and badly wired power!! and Ive found all of those over the years !! I find I like to be where its warm to winter myself ! LOL darned if Im wintering where it SNOWS !!!! sounds a little to UP beat to me I would feel like a interloper being there !! LOL Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 22:35   #72

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Bill i have only spent 3 days there this yr on feb 3 to 6 prior to this i was not connected to the power so this is a high bill i think there is a prob with the pedestal as before xmas the staff come over to see why the meter was spinning at 1000 mph and i wasn't even connected to the mains ,so bill can you pull my plug out of the pedestal for me please, thank you
Done

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 23:02   #73

thanks bill much appreciated
Old 03-03-2012, 00:08   #74

Location: December 2014 Back in Marmaris Turkey getting Dora Mac ready to put back on the market.
Boat: Diesel Duck 462 M/V Dora Mac

We have spent three complete months in KGM. Our electric bill is as follows: Dec 547 KWH, Jan 536 KWH, and Feb 309 KWH. On Feb 6 we got our diesel stove going so the Feb bill reflects that. Electricity is expensive to produce in N Cyprus. Add to that the marina has a backup generator that comes on quite often as the grid is not reliable.
This marina is still under construction so will have some issues with reliability as all startup businesses do. I think the staff is doing a good job. The London office has been a little over optimistic with their projections but aren’t we all. I would also like to mention that the berthing cost is zero and they are offering deep discounted berths after the freebies run out.
One of my first perceptions of the cruising life was our freedom to pull up and leave if we didn’t like a place. I still have that option here.
Randal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 00:16   #75

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon

Quote:
when i come out next week
Dale or anyone else who wishes,

We are away at the villa until end of March. But if you want, there is a power lead complete with meter in our cockpit floor locker (You'll have to move the bikes to get to it). Why not use that for a day or so, get the marina to tell you how much they reckon you use over that period and check it against my meter lead.

Albert
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cyprus