Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2011, 07:58   #31

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon
Re: Karpas Gate Marina, Northern Cyprus - The Truth

As of 1200hrs local time today 15 November the power & water to C & D pontoon has been restored. We are led to believe the remaining pontoons will be restored in the next week or so.

Now all that is missing is an ATM, Mini Market, Chandlers, Gym, more than 2 showers, hand washing facilities, Fuel and Port of Entry.
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 08:34   #32

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 54

Fantastic news!! I'm sorry I'll be missing the celebration party!!
PhilDuhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 10:50   #33
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyagimoon View Post
As of 1200hrs local time today 15 November the power & water to C & D pontoon has been restored. We are led to believe the remaining pontoons will be restored in the next week or so.

Now all that is missing is an ATM, Mini Market, Chandlers, Gym, more than 2 showers, hand washing facilities, Fuel and Port of Entry.
Thats a big move forward! Now you need the Mini Market next, Its a bit tuff if you dont have a car to get food there so I hope that get that to you soon
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 11:23   #34

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

albert am i on pontoon D? if so i will be out in the next few days so if you want any small items brought out let me know i will be bring another supply of sail mags with me as well
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 00:57   #35

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Thats a big move forward! Now you need the Mini Market next, Its a bit tuff if you dont have a car to get food there so I hope that get that to you soon
Any groceries anyone needs can be obtained through the restaurant for now. There are not nearly enough people in the marina to support a Mini-Market. Breads and produce would probably spoil before sale. So I can understand why management apparently does not view the Mini-Market as a high priority.

We haven't found lack of an ATM to be an issue because we obtain sufficient funds at each ATM withdrawal in Famagusta to last us minimum of a month.

Only 'complaint' from me would be that it would be nice if the satellite showers were open, although only once have I had to wait my turn in the 2 showers currently open. Also would love for the gym to be open, but that looks a couple of years away from completion at the current rate of progress.

I am very glad the electricity was restored this week....just as the weather turned colder and we needed to heat up the boat. All things considered, life here is nice.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 03:58   #36

I'll be back at the marina next Friday (2nd Dec) for a week. I'll rent a car in Larnaca and have it until I leave a week later (Sat 10 Dec). I won't be using it during the week days so if anyone wants me to add their names to rental/insurance so you can use it to do a bit of touring that's fine by me. Happy to do grocery runs, etc anyway. See you in a week!

If anyone needs a lift from/to the airport I'll arrive in LCA at 1305 on 2nd Dec (might do a bit of shopping before coming to marina) and fly out again at 1445 on 10th Dec.

Phil
S/Y 37 Rocks
Old 24-11-2011, 11:19   #37

Phil,

I am sad that we will miss you again. Kiwis have a special place in our heart. We fly out of LCA om 3 Dec and return to Karpaz on 7 Jan.

We already have a car, but I'll bet there is someone here that will want to take you up on your generous offers...I will try to get the word out for you.

Email me at crew"at"svbebe.com (sub @ for "at") and I will pass your email on to those interested...they will contact you.

Best,

Bill
Old 17-01-2012, 10:00   #38

Hi All - I have another trip planned to the boat in February. I arrive in LCA at 20:30 on Thursday 2nd Feb and will leave again at 19:30 on Friday 10th Feb and will once again have a car for the week or so I'm there. If anyone needs a ride to/from the airport around those times please let me know or if you'd like to use the car for some of the days I have it at Karpaz let me know too so I can arrange insurance, etc in advance.

Otherwise I'll see those of you at the marina in a few weeks!

Phil
S/Y 37 Rocks

Anyone going to be at the Dusseldorf Boat Show? I'll be there 28th and morning of 29th if anyone wants to compare notes!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:45   #39

karpaz gate Marina has just been Granted port of entry now the customs office is all set up only now waiting for the customs officers to come
Old 07-02-2012, 05:20   #40
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
karpaz gate Marina has just been Granted port of entry now the customs office is all set up only now waiting for the customs officers to come
That’s good News-so when we leave we can check out right there!! I just received an offer from the management of %50 off birthing and some free time on the hard, something to consider for the coming year!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:42   #41

yes ram I was there on the weekend and will take up the offer myself now that port of entry has been granted ( en light of the turkey visa regs) and i believe now a few of the other yachts that are there currently have taken up the offer the mini market has also opened to some extent the market manager is currently stocking the shelves and alonside the market the new Gym has opened up
Old 17-02-2012, 03:59   #42

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Thumbs up Re: Karpas Gate Marina, Northern Cyprus - The Truth

We shall also be taking up the offer of another year as it is a very very good price. The gym is now being used and the mini-market is nearly stocked should open any day now. Also worth a note they have a very good grp man who is also a marine mechanic.

Fair winds
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 06:33   #43

The Marina Market opened today. Freezers are not yet stocked but the shelves are filled with an excellent selection of products, including fresh veggies & fruits & breads.

Judy
Old 28-02-2012, 05:20   #44

Since the OP was about Karpaz Gate Marina's shortcomings, I am posting the press release from Karpaz that I received today:

PRESS RELEASE
Karpaz Gate Marina: An Official Gateway to the Eastern Mediterranean

February 2012 – Karpaz Gate Marina, part of the all-new Karpaz Bay Resort in Northern Cyprus - one of the most luxurious resorts in the Eastern Mediterranean – is now an official Port of Entry. All marine vessels can now officially enter Northern Cyprus at Karpaz Gate Marina following the recent approval of Port of Entry status earlier this month (1 Feb). As a result, visitors to the marina will now experience a smooth arrival to, and departure from, Northern Cyprus via Karpaz Gate Marina, which is positioned in a protected bay on the north side of the Karpaz Peninsula at N35° 33,5’ – E034° 13,6’.

With 300 berths, 12 of which are designed for super yachts up to 55 metres, Karpaz Gate Marina provides much-needed berthing capacity within the Mediterranean. Since its soft-launch in June 2011, many...yacht owners, passengers and crew, travelling from all over the world, have been welcomed by the Karpaz Gate Marina team.

Itay Singer, of Sea-Alliance Group, the marina management company, said: “Becoming an official port of entry to Northern Cyprus is a great coup for us and all our visitors. We can now provide smooth access into and out of the marina, with no need for visiting yachts to visit other ports before coming to, or leaving, Karpaz Gate Marina. The move helps to put Karpaz on the map as an international yachting destination.”

Karpaz Gate Marina is a five star marina and resort, where visitors will now be able to enjoy duty-free shopping and fuel, also as a result of the recently confirmed Port of Entry status.

Additional services are provided in the expansive 18,00sqm dry dock including a 300 ton travel lift which can service vessels of up to 10m beam, 4m draft and more than 45m length, including mono- and multi-hulls.

Leisure services include a restaurant, terrace and bar at ‘Hemingway’s Restobar’, which serves freshly prepared local and international dishes. There is also ‘The Market’, selling branded and local (groceries and) produce, a Fitness gym with high quality equipment, and an exciting children’s play area.

In the summer, a luxury Pool and Beach Club will also be completed, which will feature a 35 metre swimming pool and a separate children’s pool.
Old 28-02-2012, 10:22   #45

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon

Judy / Bill,
I beg to differ (well you wouldn’t expect me to say otherwise would you) , but the Op was not about Karpaz Gate Marina’s shortcomings. I was informing people what had happened and how things really were at that time (6 September 2011). The “Truth” and not some Marketing waffle / press release.

Having said that; Yes we now have:

1. Electricity & Water on all pontoons (As of End Nov 2011). Apparently still electric problems on the breakwater.
2. Free Wi-Fi throughout the Marina.
3. A Laundry (although 1 machine is out of order and has been for some time).
4. A Mini Market (not all shelves / freezers full and prices still to be reviewed).
5. A “Restobar”. Personally I think it’s got no atmosphere and is “Plastic”. Much prefer the Turkish Restaurant next to Hotel Teresa.
6. A 300 Tonne Travel Hoist and a massive hard standing. However, you’re not allowed to stay on your boat when it’s out of the water. The Marina will organise a hotel room for you at 45€ per night. (Book early to ensure you get a room).
7. A fitness gym (quicker than thought).
8. The same 2 Male showers and 2 Female Showers mentioned in #35 on 16 Nov 2011.
9. An “Exciting Children’s Play Area”.
10. Fuel Station. Remember “Duty Free Shopping & Fuel”. Apparently Duty Free fuel only available if you take 600 litres or more.
11. Port of Entry. (I bet all those people who sailed here then had to go back to Girne will be pleased).

Coming soon (to a Marina near you)!
1. Ship Chandler (no rush we’ve got an Exciting Children’s Play Area)
2. Modern Workshops! Beats an old derelict one.
3. Diving Centre.
4. Sailing School (good I might be able to get my Competent Crew Certification)
5. ATM (Another Total Myth)
6. Luxury Pool (35m) and a separate children’s swimming Pool (Hey, it might have some more showers)
7. Beach Club (When’s Happy Hour)
8. “Night Club” that should prove interesting if that’s a true TRNC Night Club. 2 for 1 on Wednesdays, special rates of OAP’s.

Now don’t forget:

1. They are offering 50% discount on “one of the most luxurious resorts in the Eastern Mediterranean”.
2. No washing to be visible.
3. No working on or obstructing the pontoons.
4. To check your mooring warps every 7 days.
5. No bicycles on the pontoons.
6. To close the gate after you as the security system does not work yet.
7. Do not spend too long in the showers as the pressure will run down and the next person will have no water.
8. Take your own light bulbs, toilet rolls and hand towels. Unless you wish to pee in the dark, get your hands dirty and have nothing to wipe them on when you find the taps are not working again.

BUT THERE ARE NO SHORTCOMINGS!
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cyprus