Judy / Bill,
I beg to differ (well you wouldn’t expect me to say otherwise would you)
, but the Op was not about Karpaz Gate Marina’s shortcomings. I was informing people what had happened and how things really were at that time (6 September 2011). The “Truth” and not some Marketing
waffle / press release.
Having said that; Yes we now have:
1. Electricity & Water on all pontoons (As of End Nov 2011). Apparently still electric
problems on the breakwater.
2. Free Wi-Fi throughout the Marina.
3. A Laundry
(although 1 machine is out of order and has been for some time).
4. A Mini Market (not all shelves / freezers full and prices still to be reviewed).
5. A “Restobar”. Personally I think it’s got no atmosphere and is “Plastic”. Much prefer the Turkish Restaurant next to Hotel
6. A 300 Tonne Travel Hoist and a massive hard standing. However, you’re not allowed to stay on your boat when it’s out of the water. The Marina will organise a hotel
room for you at 45€ per night. (Book early to ensure you get a room).
7. A fitness gym (quicker than thought).
8. The same 2 Male showers and 2 Female Showers mentioned in #35 on 16 Nov 2011.
9. An “Exciting Children’s Play Area”.
10. Fuel Station. Remember “Duty Free Shopping & Fuel”. Apparently Duty Free fuel only available if you take 600 litres or more.
11. Port of Entry. (I bet all those people who sailed here then had to go back to Girne will be pleased).
Coming soon (to a Marina near you)!
1. Ship Chandler (no rush we’ve got an Exciting Children’s Play Area)
2. Modern Workshops! Beats an old derelict one.
4. Sailing School
(good I might be able to get my Competent Crew Certification)
5. ATM (Another Total Myth)
6. Luxury Pool (35m) and a separate children’s swimming Pool (Hey, it might have some more showers)
7. Beach Club (When’s Happy Hour)
8. “Night Club” that should prove interesting if that’s a true TRNC Night Club. 2 for 1 on Wednesdays, special rates of OAP’s.
Now don’t forget:
1. They are offering 50% discount on “one of the most luxurious resorts in the Eastern Mediterranean”.
2. No washing to be visible.
3. No working on or obstructing the pontoons.
4. To check your mooring
warps every 7 days.
5. No bicycles on the pontoons.
6. To close the gate after you as the security
system does not work yet.
7. Do not spend too long in the showers as the pressure will run down and the next person will have no water.
8. Take your own light bulbs, toilet rolls and hand towels. Unless you wish to pee in the dark, get your hands dirty and have nothing to wipe them on when you find the taps are not working again.
BUT THERE ARE NO SHORTCOMINGS!