Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 07:21   #1

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
July too late to head to Croatia from Turkey?

Weather wise, would mid-July be too late to depart Fethiye to cruise Croatia for a month and then sail to Rome?

This sounds like a silly question, but we are away from the boat for months and all our reference books for the Med are back on the boat. Family members would like to visit us on the boat this summer and want to book flights and I'm trying to determine where would be the best place to meet them. If mid-July is too late weather wise then we might have to skip Croatia, disappointing as that would be.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:27   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: July too late to head to Croatia from Turkey?

NO absolutely not , you can cruise croatia , quite happily into October in the Med ( in general)

dave
Old 12-03-2013, 07:35   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Weather wise, would mid-July be too late to depart Fethiye to cruise Croatia for a month and then sail to Rome?

This sounds like a silly question, but we are away from the boat for months and all our reference books for the Med are back on the boat. Family members would like to visit us on the boat this summer and want to book flights and I'm trying to determine where would be the best place to meet them. If mid-July is too late weather wise then we might have to skip Croatia, disappointing as that would be.

Judy
.."sail to Rome?"...

for heaven sake, what they are teaching you people in American schools. do you know where Rome is in the first place. second, even if you wont to sail to Rome from Croatia, you can not just cross the Adriatic, you will have to go around Italy (west coast) to the Fiumincino.

"Late in July, weather wise"...have you clue at all where Croatia is.Croatia is not in Minnesota that start snowing in august, you can go there end of November and will be hotter than in Duluth in the august.
transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:46   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Be nice Transformer, to the geographically challenged New World Colonists. There there.

Perhaps they could take the train to Rome!

Dave
Old 12-03-2013, 08:09   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Be nice Transformer, to the geographically challenged New World Colonists. There there.

Perhaps they could take the train to Rome!

Dave
Yea, perhaps. ok. I promise I will be nice from now on.
transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:38   #6

Boat: Bavaria 37

I my opinion, the question is not how to sail from Greece to Croatia and after to Roma... No particular problem between Corinth's canal and Ionian sea from june till october...
The question is : how will be the Meltemi in the Aegean sea in mid-july ? Last year the Meltemi was quite strong since end of June and it was difficult to sail westward through Cyclades island for 3 weeks as I remember. But each year can be different and if you are patient you will find a "weather-window" (how to say in english ?)...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:15   #7

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformer View Post
.."sail to Rome?"...

for heaven sake, what they are teaching you people in American schools. do you know where Rome is in the first place. second, even if you wont to sail to Rome from Croatia, you can not just cross the Adriatic, you will have to go around Italy (west coast) to the Fiumincino.

"Late in July, weather wise"...have you clue at all where Croatia is.Croatia is not in Minnesota that start snowing in august, you can go there end of November and will be hotter than in Duluth in the august.
I wanted to refrain myself, but could not resist…
It boggles my mind as to why people visit this forum just to expose their arrogant and crass attitude.
The OP has asked a fair question and even explained the reason for posting it here.
Transformer, why can’t you just click the back button and move on? I mean, don’t you have anything else to do? Seems like you know it all – as I have seen before, you like to come in and be rude – why don’t you place a post and lets see what you are up to?
Like the rest of us, if you can't be helpful with a reply, please click on the back button!
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:45   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Hi Judy,

It's two very long passages. Fetheya to Croatia I doubt you would want to do with guests as that Meltemi may be a friend breaker.
The passage Croatia to Rome are would be easier.

We didnt go to Croatia but left Marmaris thru the Greek Isles to and Methoni to go straight though to the Straits of Messina and then up the Italian coast.

The Terrenhian Sea and Legurian Sea can have some severe summer thunderstorms, in fact the strongest winds I have sail in we're in a thunderstorm in the southern part of the Legurian!

Rome is so worth the visit. If you haven't been before it really is one of those cities that is quite as good as the postcards. We found hotel accommodation right in the center of Rome for the same price as a double room in a hostel.

Though I have never sailed to Croatia I was there during the Balkans War and in Dubrovnik when it was surrounded. It is an amazing place and well worth a visit.

As with all cruising, keeping in the correct season really matters with after Rome.
Mid July to Croatia for a month, say a two week passage, so you leave Croatia beginning of September for a two week passage to Rome putting you there middle of September at 42 degrees North. I would not like that. Then what? Are you Winterning in Rome area? Because you don't want to be cruising that latitude much later.... Or being stuck in the Gulf De Lyon in October....

All the best,

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:49   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
The OP has asked a fair question and even explained the reason for posting it here.
Transformer, why can’t you just click the back button and move on?
Particularly considering the OP has done more long range cruising and more passages than 95% of people on this forum!!

Mark

Old 12-03-2013, 11:21   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post

Judy
quite a few times i have left cyprus in september to be in gib by mid october.
it will be bumpy! in mid july,but not impossible just keep an eye on low pressure cells entering the biscay,you will get a nw blow 4-6 days later.
as others have said the weather is generally good till mid oct.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 13:34   #11
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Judy, we went from Porto d'Roma to Lefkas last August. It was great wind from Messina to Lefkas and near calm from Rome to Messina. It took us 4 days with short 4 hour stops at Capri and Stromboli. I have enjoyed your blog and hope to say hello some day. If you do this, you will be passing us as we are heading from Croatia back to the Ionians in July. Good luck.
David.
Old 13-03-2013, 06:58   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
stops at Capri and Stromboli.
David.

Stromboli erupts every 20 minutes aprox. At night it's a wonderful sight. Just follow the tourist boats out at sundown for the best area to watch

Old 13-03-2013, 09:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformer View Post
.."sail to Rome?"...

It is just easier to say Rome. Of course, I mean the Porto di Turistico di Roma at Ostia, as the marina is referred to in their emails to me. And where would you ever come up with the idea that I thought we would sail east-to-west across the land mass of Italy!

My question was whether it might be possible weather-wise departing Turkey that late in the year. I recall that in the reference literature on the boat it was advised to arrive in Croatia in mid-June and depart by early August because of typical high winds in the Adriatic beginning in August. So I was hoping that someone with local knowledge of Croatia might be willing to share information. Figures that I would get a snide response from at least one CF member that does not address the question posed.

To all others who did provide helpful answers, thank you.

Judy
Old 13-03-2013, 09:17   #14

Boat: Lagoon 440

Judy quite honestly i've yet to see weather come in at a set date and evacuate at a set date, if this was true weathermen would have no job.

Sailing boats do not conform to timetables that's why they invented engines. Far better to use the phrase 'We are heading for' rather than we are 'Sailing to' Timetables cause most problems it is a crazy thing but many boats have come unstuck thumping the crew and boat to windward only to have the winds favourably change when arriving in the desired marina.

Italy to Croatia is a short hop, plan alternative routes and if all is good go for it, no one can say that the winds will comply....

July is only the season's beginning, Bura will start here tomorrow for the first time, March is historically Bura time (very strong cold northerlies)

Cheers
Old 13-03-2013, 09:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hi Judy,

It's two very long passages. Fetheya to Croatia I doubt you would want to do with guests as that Meltemi may be a friend breaker.
The passage Croatia to Rome are would be easier.

We didnt go to Croatia but left Marmaris thru the Greek Isles to and Methoni to go straight though to the Straits of Messina and then up the Italian coast.

The Terrenhian Sea and Legurian Sea can have some severe summer thunderstorms, in fact the strongest winds I have sail in we're in a thunderstorm in the southern part of the Legurian!

Rome is so worth the visit. If you haven't been before it really is one of those cities that is quite as good as the postcards. We found hotel accommodation right in the center of Rome for the same price as a double room in a hostel.

Though I have never sailed to Croatia I was there during the Balkans War and in Dubrovnik when it was surrounded. It is an amazing place and well worth a visit.

As with all cruising, keeping in the correct season really matters with after Rome.
Mid July to Croatia for a month, say a two week passage, so you leave Croatia beginning of September for a two week passage to Rome putting you there middle of September at 42 degrees North. I would not like that. Then what? Are you Winterning in Rome area? Because you don't want to be cruising that latitude much later.... Or being stuck in the Gulf De Lyon in October....

All the best,

Mark
Thanks for your comments, Mark. Yes, we are considering wintering at Ostia. Because of the Schengen limitation of only 90 days for Americans, we will have to leave the boat somewhere in Italy and return to the USA for a number of months. The Rome area makes better sense for sightseeing and possible land travel once we return to the boat the following spring. I have been watching the weather this winter at various marina locations in Italy and Ostia appears to be as good as any other location and well-situated for continuing westward the following spring.

Then we plan to sail westward and get the hell out of the Med because of the stress of trying to stick to that 90-in/90-out rule, which because of Med winters really means 90-in (summer-early autumn)/180+out (late autumn-winter)/90-in (spring-summer). We are willing to endure the USA for one full winter home but not twice. It will be time to return to the Caribbean. Where adhering to immigration laws is infinitely easier than in the Med.

Again, thanks to you and to all others who answered the original question.

Judy

Tags
Croatia, head, Turkey