Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2015, 19:14   #31

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'
Re: Julian Mustoe (82) rescued in the North sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
Poor old Julian, I think we should start a fund for him, if we all donated £2 or whatever then with the many thousands of forum members out there, I bet we could soon raise enough for him to buy a good replacement boat. Wad y'all think folks?
I'd be in for a few bucks, if he will accept it.

As far as the "young pay for the old" discussion. I've sen too many posts about that crap on the interwebs in the last couple of years. Apparently not everyone in the U.S. feels we are all in the same boat anymore. Really sad.
Freemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 19:22   #32

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

I'm with Freemind, this man is an inspiration. Not wanting a handout, but if he needed a hand up, I would certainly be there.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 23:33   #33

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

I'm sure a great many of us would contribute however, it would need to be handled through a major financial institution, such as a Bank or trust Company to make sure nobody runs off with the money. Such financial institution would almost have to be in the home city of the recipients own country. Until such safeguards are put in place, I would not recommend participation.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 00:20   #34

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

If you want to help him out buy his book.

http://www.julian-mustoe.com

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:56   #35

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
If you want to help him out buy his book.

Julian Mustoe - Sailor and Author,
+1!

I actually think "Harrier of Down" was 25 feet , not 29...
AndI'm sitting here lookin for something bigger than my 31' before I dare to cross oceans..

.manitu
Old 10-10-2015, 12:03   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

I'm game......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
Poor old Julian, I think we should start a fund for him, if we all donated £2 or whatever then with the many thousands of forum members out there, I bet we could soon raise enough for him to buy a good replacement boat. Wad y'all think folks?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 17:21   #37

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I can't believe some of the comments around age. It amounts to discrimination.

And I absolutely hate these CF discussions around who pays for Search and Rescue.. I've worked all my life and I'm more than happy for my tax dollars to go towards anyone's rescue, anywhere, under any circumstances.

Except for that guy on Mars.. stuff him, he missed his boat, he can damn well wait for the next one.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 17:53   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I can't believe some of the comments around age. It amounts to discrimination.

And I absolutely hate these CF discussions around who pays for Search and Rescue.. I've worked all my life and I'm more than happy for my tax dollars to go towards anyone's rescue, anywhere, under any circumstances.

Except for that guy on Mars.. stuff him, he missed his boat, he can damn well wait for the next one.
Concur. The billions that the gov spends so wisely for us, this should not be in our radar.
Old 11-10-2015, 18:00   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLewis View Post
Concur. The billions that the gov spends so wisely for us, this should not be in our radar.

Exactly Tom. Like the $40 Million spent to send and keep four refugees in Cambodia.. or the $1 Billion a year to house assylum seekers off our shores. That's a hell of a lot of rescue money for the occasional person needing rescueing.
Old 11-10-2015, 18:13   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Exactly Tom. Like the $40 Million spent to send and keep four refugees in Cambodia.. or the $1 Billion a year to house assylum seekers off our shores. That's a hell of a lot of rescue money for the occasional person needing rescueing.
It's funny. That thousands of miles separate us, yet we still have the same worthless bureaucracies. It's amazing to me.
Old 11-10-2015, 18:16   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLewis View Post
It's funny. That thousands of miles separate us, yet we still have the same worthless bureaucracies. It's amazing to me.

Old 13-10-2015, 03:19   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Ann T. Cate,
You're absolutely right. I don't want to take anything away from this man. In fact I admire him tremendously for just being out there. I suspect he is a good sailor and is probably fit for his age. He also probably weighed all the variables very carefully before he sailed. But was that decision to sail a good one given all the variables? Im curious what others have to say as well. Thanks.

nigel1,
I agree it is indeed a great shame he lost his boat under tow. I would like to know more about how that happened but we will probably never know. Apparently she started taking on water while in-tow. Seaworthiness? Again we will never know.

Im glad the man is safe. BTW he does look pretty good for being 82. I just hope I GET to be 82.
Perhaps the towing vessel was towing too fast. I once got a tow from the RNLI Lifeboat in Valentia, Ireland, and was more terrified during the tow than during the situation which prompted the lifeboat call-out in the first place!
SpiritofGlenans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 03:41   #43

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Yes, but how active are they really. A few walks, maybe a few holes of golf? Sailing offshore in rough weather is extremely strenuous and the additional effort required to make some minor repairs can be taxing for those much younger. I really think if you look thru the forums you'll see a TON of older single handlers getting rescued in the last many years.

I certainly think they should do whatever they want, but should younger taxpayers need to rescue them AND pay them whilst they're doing it?
Are you serious? Take a look around you and if your eyes are open you will see many and I repeat many 20, 30 and 40 year olds who have trouble WALKING a city block. I, myself am 70 and I regularly outwork the young people we hire. (That is if we can them to show up for work). In fact the best worker we just hired out performs the 19 year old we have had on staff for months. He is 65!! (We are a test facility and as such move 2 X 100+ lbs cylinders at a time all day long)

As was pointed out, age had nothing to with with incident that I can see. Least you have a problem with age, just remember it is coming, you can not avoid it and yes at times it sucks. Keep active, avoid extremes and you may live to be so OLD!
Old 13-10-2015, 04:10   #44

Boat: a sailing boat

I hope he will find a new boat to keep on going.

There seem to be quite many boats sinking while tow is attempted by SAR / CG boats. I am not sure if this has anything to do with SAR / CG skills related to handling small craft.

Sad for the loss but glad the sailor is fine.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 05:24   #45

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I certainly think they should do whatever they want, but should younger taxpayers need to rescue them AND pay them whilst they're doing it?
I'm amazed that some young people think they can inherit roads, infrastructure, democracies won by military sacrific, modern cars & air transport, a host of other technological advancements etc, all at no charge to themselves and yet still claim the older generation are bleeding them of their taxes.

The freedom of 82 year-olds were won by his generation and those before him, and hopefully your generation won't stuff it up for you..
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue