Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2015, 10:28   #16

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)
Re: Julian Mustoe (82) rescued in the North sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
A sad end to a cruiser's boat that had taken him so far (circumnavigation).

Noteworthy to me as another example of a loss of boat due to "loss of steering."
I don't mean to divert the OP, but this issue of loosing rudder or steering has happened to me 200 yards from a leeward rocky shore coming into a harbor.

Can some highly experienced sailor comment here on your own experience in the same scenario that Julian faced, far out to sea, and assume that the winds were consistent and he could not create or have a temporary rudder. What sail balancing/imbalance or other method have you done that allowed you to head closer to land and how did you find the boats response without a rudder?
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:14   #17

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

As I understand , Mustoe didnt want to be rescued, he drifted into the Oseberg restricted sone , and allmost collided with an oil rig. The coastguard even allowed him to stay on the boat for a while.He was eventually ordered off the boat.

And regarding pay, being rescued in Norway is free unless you've been seriously negligent.

The norwegian coastguard cruisers are on patrol most of the time, doing a rescue costs the same as just being on patrol. most of the crew are 20 year old boys doing their one year military service, getting 12-13$ a day.

(edit:bad wording)

.manitu
Old 09-10-2015, 11:41   #18

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
I'm glad he's safe. But seriously... 82 years old, singlehanded, in the North Atlantic, in October, on a 29' boat? Not the best of situations to say the least.
If you always wait for perfect conditions and look to take no chances at all. you'll go nowhere and in my mind live a dull life. the gamble of life started the day we were conceived and we're still alive. Live life and live it more abundantly.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:51   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy View Post
I don't mean to divert the OP, but this issue of loosing rudder or steering has happened to me 200 yards from a leeward rocky shore coming into a harbor.

Can some highly experienced sailor comment here on your own experience in the same scenario that Julian faced, far out to sea, and assume that the winds were consistent and he could not create or have a temporary rudder. What sail balancing/imbalance or other method have you done that allowed you to head closer to land and how did you find the boats response without a rudder?
Hi.

The topic of "loss of steering" has been an interest of mine, though I have not experienced myself.

The topic of emergency steering and emergency tillers has been discussed on the forum before. Here is a link to some of those discussions.

Emergency steering - Google Search
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:02   #20

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

There's nothing wrong with getting older, as long as the body is able.
I too am 82 going on 83. We launched our new 24/30' cutter just this past August. My wife and first mate recently celebrated her 80th birthday and we have had some fun sailing our new boat, putting her through her paces.
Last Saturday, we sailed her for 5 hrs., on her ear, 35 degrees, rail down, all sails hoisted. We were pushing her to "our" limits, to see how she handled in a steady and constant 25kt blow. We're satisfied we have a very safe little ship. Not one splash of water came into the cockpit.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:02   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

It seems as you get to be quite old like this you have ALOT less energy than someone even 10-15 years younger.

For Example: the 76 y/o skipper of Kiwi Spirit reported sleeping 16 hours of 24 aboard his 65' custom built yacht due to exhaustion. It's pretty easy for things to break if a yacht is to be self tending for this many hours. Also likely easy to "fix that later" and a small problem quickly becomes an bigger one.
Old 09-10-2015, 13:07   #22

What does being 82 have to do with a boat sinking under tow? Somehow, I don't expect that I'll get an answer.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 13:32   #23

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
It seems as you get to be quite old like this you have ALOT less energy than someone even 10-15 years younger.

For Example: the 76 y/o skipper of Kiwi Spirit reported sleeping 16 hours of 24 aboard his 65' custom built yacht due to exhaustion. It's pretty easy for things to break if a yacht is to be self tending for this many hours. Also likely easy to "fix that later" and a small problem quickly becomes an bigger one.
OTOH I've know some elders who seem to sleep LESS the older they get.
ETA: I just think it's an individual thing.
Freemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 14:50   #24

In his own words:
BTTV

Seems like a reflected and mentally fit sailor.
I hope I'm in as good shape when I reach the 80's

I'm buying his e-book , AND a hardcopy for my maritime library.

.manitu
Old 09-10-2015, 15:45   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemind View Post
OTOH I've know some elders who seem to sleep LESS the older they get.
ETA: I just think it's an individual thing.
Yes, but how active are they really. A few walks, maybe a few holes of golf? Sailing offshore in rough weather is extremely strenuous and the additional effort required to make some minor repairs can be taxing for those much younger. I really think if you look thru the forums you'll see a TON of older single handlers getting rescued in the last many years.

I certainly think they should do whatever they want, but should younger taxpayers need to rescue them AND pay them whilst they're doing it?
Old 09-10-2015, 15:52   #26

Quote:
I certainly think they should do whatever they want, but should younger taxpayers need to rescue them AND pay them whilst they're doing it?
I would definitely vote for yes and would support this if I would live in a country where SAR is paid by the tax payer.

In Germany (where I am from) the Maritime Search and Rescue Service is entirely financed by membership fees, private donations and legacies.

Who we are | DGzRS Die Seenotretter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German...Rescue_Service

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 16:15   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarstenWL View Post
I would definitely vote for yes and would support this if I would live in a country where SAR is paid by the tax payer.
Yes , the RSSR in Norway too is privately funded, this guy was rescued by the coastguard aka the navy..

But even wen rescued by the private RSSR , rescue of life is still free, towing cost big bucks for non members.. but I still havent met a norwegian sailor who was'nt a member.

They allso have mutual agreements with other countries' private rescue-services, so i'm covered sweden and denmark too. (and some more , i think.)

.manitu
Old 09-10-2015, 16:29   #28

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:

So you think it is only 'old' people that call for help? Let me tell you, I live near Vancouver BC. ... people go hiking in the mountainous back country. There`s hardly a day goes by that the volunteer SAR team are not called out to find some of these people who very often are ill equipped for the backwoods, and little knowledge on how to survive if lost ... guess what ... most of them are young people who think they can always dial 911 on their cel phone and get instant help. Last weekend, there were three calls in one day.
Most often, these folk require a Helicopter long-line rescue and that is not cheap. There`s never a charge for this service, it is all covered by public donation.
The reason they do not charge is because they believe if a charge was levied, these young people would not call for help immediately they realize they`re in trouble and simply go from a bad situation to worse.
As for marine rescue, I have never heard of any country demanding payment for a rescue attempt. Could it be everyone recognizes we might all be in the same boat ...
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 17:43   #29

Boat: Prout Snowgoose MK1

Poor old Julian, I think we should start a fund for him, if we all donated £2 or whatever then with the many thousands of forum members out there, I bet we could soon raise enough for him to buy a good replacement boat. Wad y'all think folks?
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 19:09   #30

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

I only wish I am still sailing at 82. I am figuring if I make it to 70 I would be thrilled. I hope this gentleman sailor can get back on the water, at least he has his charge card. He can charge another boat.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue