Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2014, 15:15   #1

Boat: Catana 42
Itinerary Suggestions for Sailing Med

Hi there,

New to cruising and life on the water I have much to learn. Our home is sold and the boat is almost ready, so commitment is thus far 100% as we prepared to leave Tasmania and fly to France to collect our new boat a 42 ft Catana this coming June.

My question may seem strange and relates to an itinerary suggestion - well in fact two.

First for insurance I need to give our insurance agent a route from France to Turkey which we plan to take 4 weeks to do. This is because we have agreed to have boat in Turkey for Bodrum boat show. For this journey we will have an experienced delivery captain coming with us, but I thought it would be good to have some research under our belt for this trip.

The second itinerary suggestions I am looking forward relates to planning a 2 week trip in Greece and then another 2 weeks either in Greece or Turkey with our best friends. My girlfriend is a "planner extraordinaire" and has asked me for a route itinerary for the 2 x 2 week periods in mid May and last two weeks of June 2015 so she can start planning . Our friends will spend 2 wks on 4 wks away and 2 wks before coming back to Australia.

When asked for ideas for locations, I was a little like a rabbit in the headlights and said I would get back to her soon to discuss options.

Thus far all my energies have been into running away I haven't had time to consider what happens when we get there and have always thought we would take our time and learn as we go.

I would love any advice or previous routes that others have taken. To be honest at this stage I am open to any worthy suggestions on the whole thing, as the long term dream to run away is fast approaching.

Thanks in advance

the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
The Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 15:39   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Itinerary Suggestions for Sailing Med

While you have a delivery captain on board you will not be allowed to decide anything. My thoughts are to fire him now and employ an experienced First Mate. Then you are in command but he teaches you to sail.

On a quick trip like that you can exclude the Greek isles as they are close to Turkey anyay.
Spend some good time in the south of France, Nice, Antibes, Cannes, Monaco, and St Margarita in Italy near Porto Fino. Then off south and do Capri and Stromboli.

After Italy and France you can high tail it to Turkey and pick up the other stuff later.

One problem will be having a Catana and a male on board.... He will try to do lots of fast long passages and you may miss a lot.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 15:44   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

On the last part of the question, after the boat show, if you have Australians on board you might like to go to Gallipoli. Its not far and a truly wonderful visit this year just months before the 100th anniversary.
Port is called Kabe (or gaba) Tepe and its walking distance to ANZAC Cove, and on the same coast line.
The price of the quay side berth was negligible. Not a sole speaks English there.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 15:52   #4

Hi Mark,'

Have put a ballot in for us to attend the 100th ANZAC ceremony but may be a tough ticket to get hold off. From memory I think only 800 double tickets available. We thought even if we didn't get a spot on the beach we would plan to be in Turkey for the marking of the occasion.

Turkey has been on my top destination to visit for as long as I can remember so plan to take plenty of time to look around.
Still feels unreal to say we plan to be in Turkey....I will have to pinch myself once this all starts to happen.

the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
Old 21-01-2014, 16:20   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Miss View Post
Hi Mark,'

Have put a ballot in for us to attend the 100th ANZAC ceremony but may be a tough ticket to get hold off. From memory I think only 800 double tickets available. We thought even if we didn't get a spot on the beach we would plan to be in Turkey for the marking of the occasion.

Turkey has been on my top destination to visit for as long as I can remember so plan to take plenty of time to look around.
Still feels unreal to say we plan to be in Turkey....I will have to pinch myself once this all starts to happen.

the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
Hi Miss, Im a little behind you but hope to be out towards the end of the year! The best advice I have ever been given is dont RUSH things, its not a race, enjoy yourself & dont have stress by worrying about getting to certain places on set dates! Mark is right regarding the captain, get a 1st mate! Give yourself some breathing space, once you get to turkey you may have a different idea for your friends due to people you have met or new ideas or places you had not thought of to visit! The weather will also have a say from time to time as to what you can or cant do!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 16:42   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

sailing 2500 miles ,in 4 weeks in the med in june is not going to leave you much time apart from fuel and reprovisioning stops.
suggested itinery,is baiona,lagos,gib,cartagena,malta,crete or athens, bodrum.

you can expect to be motoring a lot,if you plan on making it in 4 weeks with a few 2-3 day stops,though at that time of year it is best to sail when you have wind,for as long as it lasts,and not be fixed on stops,rather stop when the wind is against you or non existant.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 16:55   #7

Hi Atoll,

I know what you say is right. This trip will be about the boat being on time and us getting to know the boat. Site seeing will be low on the agenda.

If I gave this to: "baiona,lagos,gib,cartagena,malta,crete or athens, bodrum" to an insurance company will that be enough do you think

Cheers
the Miss
Old 21-01-2014, 17:16   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi Atoll,

I know what you say is right. This trip will be about the boat being on time and us getting to know the boat. Site seeing will be low on the agenda.

If I gave this to: "baiona,lagos,gib,cartagena,malta,crete or athens, bodrum" to an insurance company will that be enough do you think

Cheers
the Miss
this would probably be fine as an itinery for your insurance company,since most of the stops are 3-400 miles apart,i will include a couple more additional safe easy to enter in any weather stops.

the main thing is to show that you have thought about the itinery,have the correct charts and pilots to enter if neccasary.

revised itinery,baiona spain, sines portugal, lagos portugal, gib uk, cartagena spain, mazzaro del valle sicily, valetta malta, hania crete or plaka milos island greece or pireaus greece,either of the last 3 options give a nice run to bodrum on the way from malta,depending on the state of the meltemi
Old 21-01-2014, 17:20   #9

Hi Mark,

Just went onto your site and had a listen to your interview with Maclain Christie whilst I did works accounts for the day.

Love love love the advice, including when you travel you remain who you are and finding freedom plus other handy tips like stick with the right season to travel and follow the ducks.

Maclain Christie from The Great Outloud interview via Our Life At Sea - Sailing Yacht 'Sea Life' - I recommend to others who have a spare 15 minutes to listen whilst working

Cheers
the Miss
Old 21-01-2014, 17:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
this would probably be fine as an itinery for your insurance company,since most of the stops are 3-400 miles apart,i will include a couple more additional safe easy to enter in any weather stops.

the main thing is to show that you have thought about the itinery,have the correct charts and pilots to enter if neccasary.

revised itinery,baiona spain, sines portugal, lagos portugal, gib uk, cartagena spain, mazzaro del valle sicily, valetta malta, hania crete or plaka milos island greece or pireaus greece,either of the last 3 options give a nice run to bodrum on the way from malta,depending on the state of the meltemi
Thanks so very much. I notice you have Spain and Portugal, we will be collecting the boat from French Catana yard in the Med Cantel. So hopefully this will give us a few more days to make sure the journey is more comfortable.

It will be a hard thing to get back on a plane to travel home. My husband may change his mind....

Cheers
the Miss
Old 21-01-2014, 17:39   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks so very much. I notice you have Spain and Portugal, we will be collecting the boat from French Catana yard in the Med Cantel. So hopefully this will give us a few more days to make sure the journey is more comfortable.

It will be a hard thing to get back on a plane to travel home. My husband may change his mind....

Cheers
the Miss
ha ha i must have missed that having been away for a bit,that you will be pickig up in the med,and not in sables de olone,la rochelle,that will make the trip much easier if picking up around nice area,much shorter trip!

about 1200 miles,so easily doable in 4 weeks,would reccomend stops in elba island or calvi (corsica) ,maddelena archepelago,olbia(sardinia) portoveccio,then sicily etc
Old 21-01-2014, 19:06   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

You may like to consider a stop in lovely Marbella which is about a 4 hour sail east of Gibraltar, I live near the marina in the centre of town, well worth an evening stop if you have time!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 19:40   #13
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

It's really surprising your insurance company would need a route. Can't imagine why really.

Have you thought about traveling at night? That is what we did quite often in the Western Med. It sounds like there will be three of you at least so the watches shouldn't be to bad even if you and your husband/partner double up. Then you can spend more days at the stops.

The suggestions of Calvi and Elba are right on. I wasn't that crazy about Sardinia but many are. Ischia, Capri, and the Aeolian Islands would be good stops. Four weeks is a lot of time, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You might want to stop and see the Costa Concordia also. Quite a sight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5580.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	74430  
Old 21-01-2014, 19:52   #14

That is quite a site indeed.

Night sailing sounds like a fine idea and one we have discussed as a possible way to see more for this shorter journey. Pantaenius is the insurance company we are looking at and who have asked for itinerary. Whereas BF has requested itinerary for Greece.
Any suggestions for a two week stint in Greek Islands at all?
Or a site I can go to and view how others have traveled in this period.

I note the Tolkien references and smile as the quote "not all those who wander are lost" is an all time favourite as are the books & movies...

cheers
the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
Old 22-01-2014, 03:19   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
As a general comment I would do the Cote D, azure , Corsica , Sardinia ( avoiding rich marinas ) Then over to Italian coast to Tropea ( nice marina ) around the heel and then Greece

Dave

Tags
sail, sailing