Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2018, 09:56   #1

Itinerary recommendations out of Split, Croatia

Any must-see anchorages, or towns? We're doing a one week catamaran charter from Split at the end of August.
Thanks
Q. Helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 10:31   #2

Boat: 43 Mikelson
Re: Itinerary recommendations out of Split, Croatia

Not to hijack your thread, but look at the other thread regarding many good suggestions for a thorough inspection photos etc prior to leaving the dock.
Hull dings, do all the heads flush correctly, interior hatches and looks, rigging and lines etc etc.
I believe a post Croatia charter resulting in a charge started the other thread.
Have a great trip.
I chartered a boat out of Dubrovnik and went to two different islands that were pretty cool. Also did a charter in Kotor, Montenegro another great place to cruise.
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 11:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painless View Post
Not to hijack your thread, but look at the other thread regarding many good suggestions for a thorough inspection photos etc prior to leaving the dock.
Hull dings, do all the heads flush correctly, interior hatches and looks, rigging and lines etc etc.
I believe a post Croatia charter resulting in a charge started the other thread.
Have a great trip.
I chartered a boat out of Dubrovnik and went to two different islands that were pretty cool. Also did a charter in Kotor, Montenegro another great place to cruise.
Thanks, will do.
Old 14-07-2018, 12:19   #4

Boat: Bavaria 35E

Hvar, Korcula, and Dubrovnik. And spend a day exploring Split. Enjoy!
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 18:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowle View Post
Hvar, Korcula, and Dubrovnik. And spend a day exploring Split. Enjoy!
Dubrovnik is probably too far for one week charter, unless it is one way. I would add Vis and Trogir to Hvar and Korcula. There are nice anchorages in Pacleni Otoki across from Hvar
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 20:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
Dubrovnik is probably too far for one week charter, unless it is one way. I would add Vis and Trogir to Hvar and Korcula. There are nice anchorages in Pacleni Otoki across from Hvar
Right, I don't think we'll go farther than Vis and Korcula. We'll go to Dubrovnik by land, or ferry at the end of the trip
Old 23-07-2018, 07:43   #7

We chartered out of Trogir this past June. It was great! The Blue Grotto on Bisevo was pretty cool. On Vis we stayed in Komiza one night, and Luka Rukavac another - there was a pretty good restaurant there. Stari Grad on Hvar was very nice - try the Konoba Batana for a great meal- the best of our trip.

We wanted to go to Korcula but found it was too far for our one week trip, although we could have gone.

One caution I would give is that the anchoring can be tough, because in many places it gets very deep a short distance from shore, the bottom is very rocky, and we only had 60 meters of chain. One bay, Uvala Tatinja, on Solta for instance, had 33 ft of depth at 57 feet from shore, and even steeper in spots. Hard to let out enough scope in such spots. I spoke to an experienced skipper in the area and he said there were a lot of places with good anchoring but you had to know where. I asked him how do you find them, and he said experience in the area. I used the Navionics website's chart viewer before the trip to check out the islands for places to anchor or moor.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:50   #8

There is a number of resources online regarding mooring fields and anchorage in the Med. One that comes to my mind is Navily. It has information and first hand reviews about hundreds of anchorages in Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
We chartered out of Trogir this past June. It was great! The Blue Grotto on Bisevo was pretty cool. On Vis we stayed in Komiza one night, and Luka Rukavac another - there was a pretty good restaurant there. Stari Grad on Hvar was very nice - try the Konoba Batana for a great meal- the best of our trip.

We wanted to go to Korcula but found it was too far for our one week trip, although we could have gone.

One caution I would give is that the anchoring can be tough, because in many places it gets very deep a short distance from shore, the bottom is very rocky, and we only had 60 meters of chain. One bay, Uvala Tatinja, on Solta for instance, had 33 ft of depth at 57 feet from shore, and even steeper in spots. Hard to let out enough scope in such spots. I spoke to an experienced skipper in the area and he said there were a lot of places with good anchoring but you had to know where. I asked him how do you find them, and he said experience in the area. I used the Navionics website's chart viewer before the trip to check out the islands for places to anchor or moor.
Old 23-07-2018, 13:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post

Thanks for the suggestions. I figured Vela Luka might be the furthest afield we got. I bought the Adriatic Pilot, which shows depths at all the anchorages. Did your boat not have a copy?
Old 23-07-2018, 13:32   #10

Quote:
There is a number of resources online regarding mooring fields and anchorage in the Med. One that comes to my mind is Navily. It has information and first hand reviews about hundreds of anchorages in Croatia
Thanks
Old 23-07-2018, 14:19   #11

You can take a local bus from Vela Luka to Korcula town. It is a very scenic drive and well worth it. And Korcula very pretty too. It will save you time sailiing along the island which can be very breezy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q. Helm View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I figured Vela Luka might be the furthest afield we got. I bought the Adriatic Pilot, which shows depths at all the anchorages. Did your boat not have a copy?
Old 23-07-2018, 21:37   #12

Quote:
You can take a local bus from Vela Luka to Korcula town. It is a very scenic drive and well worth it. And Korcula very pretty too. It will save you time sailiing along the island which can be very breezy.

Thanks!
Old 24-07-2018, 06:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q. Helm View Post
I believe it did, and a set of paper charts, but I wanted to scout out anchorages before we left, and if I remember right, the Adriatic Pilot did not indicate bottom type or mooring balls. I used a couple of sites to try to plan:

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...y=e%60ngG_qacB

www.wosamma.at - Bojenfelder in Kroatien - Anchorages in Croatia - Nauticka sidrista u Hrvatskoj - Campi boe in Croazia

And there is an app called MySea.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia, men