Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2015, 09:40   #1

Boat: Trader 39 11.8mts. Carlina
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian Streten
Italian owned Yachts flying other countries Flags.

Why are so many Italian owned yachts flying other countries flags? Yes, it is most probably there way of getting round the recently introduced Italian tax that the Guardia de Finanzia are checking up on all Italian registered craft. One has to ask the question is it legal for a boat to fly another countries flag & if it is illegal how should it be policed. The big problem that is occurring whilst cruising in Italian waters is that all boats, whatever flag they are registered under are being subjected to visits from the Guardia under the supposition that they are in fact Italian owned & flying the incorrect flag. This is becoming an ever increasing problem

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Ian Streten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 14:42   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Italian owned Yachts flying other countries Flags.

Reframe how you think about it. It isn't really a problem, just show them your boat papers, chat them up a bit, and you'll soon be on your way.

The nicer you are to them the better their impression of all foreign yachties will be.

Ann
Old 08-07-2015, 18:55   #3

Boat: Orca 43

For the same reason FIAT has its legal domicile in the Netherlands and its fiscal one in London.
sergiofil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 19:15   #4

Boat: Able 50

What's the problem? The most common flag in Newport RI is Cayman Islands and the owners could be from anywhere.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 19:22   #5

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

This is old news it's all about how the Italian nationals have paid for the yacht/boat weather it be they have financed , leased etc and if they own things above the declared income not about the flag
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 23:34   #6

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Streten View Post
Why are so many Italian owned yachts flying other countries flags? Yes, it is most probably there way of getting round the recently introduced Italian tax that the Guardia de Finanzia are checking up on all Italian registered craft.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
We have some friends he's Italian and she is Turkish their yacht is Belguim Registered. When asked why they said the rules imposed if it was Italian Registered were far more stringent and consequently expensive as compared to other countries.
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 19:23   #7

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Make sure the Sicilians don't get your IP address. Smile
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:55   #8

Boat: X-Yachts Xc-50

Hi,
As miyagimoon wrote, the main reason for Italians to fly another country's flag is that the rules imposed are far more stringent and consequently expensive as compared to other countries. In the bast majority of cases, there are no tax benefits .
For example, for my Italian registered yacht, I have to spend about €700 euro every 2 years to do an inspection check of the 8 pax ocean lifecraft, simply because Italy has amended the ISO 9650 norm and created a local version of it and therefore I cannot use a standard 9650 lifecraft. This is just an example of many other aggravations we are subjected to.
bikesherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 15:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesherpa View Post
Hi,
As miyagimoon wrote, the main reason for Italians to fly another country's flag is that the rules imposed are far more stringent and consequently expensive as compared to other countries. In the bast majority of cases, there are no tax benefits .
For example, for my Italian registered yacht, I have to spend about €700 euro every 2 years to do an inspection check of the 8 pax ocean lifecraft, simply because Italy has amended the ISO 9650 norm and created a local version of it and therefore I cannot use a standard 9650 lifecraft. This is just an example of many other aggravations we are subjected to.

Good grief do you honestly think most Americans who own merchant ships live in Panama, how about Marshal islands they must be full of ship owners, or should we mention Liberia! flag has nothing to do with domicile, just tax's and certification
tim_burley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flags, yacht