Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 02:54   #1

Ireland: Shannon River Cruising

HI all,

I'm planning a summer 2014 boating trip on the Shannon. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers on route planning. Looks like Carrick on Shannon
will be where we leave from. I'm trying to to figure out for a 7 days trip if we should head N or S on the river. The Inland Waterways Association has lots of info, so far a lot of it is from a birdseye perspective. I'm trying to drill down and figure out what are good villages/pubs/sites to see to figure out which way to go.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
ChiefDanGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Ireland: Shannon River Cruising

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dan.

http://discovertheshannon.com/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:18   #3

Hey Gord,

Thanks! I also found this right after I posted: Cruise Ireland | Hire Boat | Shannon River | Boat Rental Ireland | Cruiser Hire Holidays | Compare Boats | Rent a boat and cruise on the Shannon River in Ireland
With the interactive map and cruising times chart, combined with Google Map street view, it's easy to see what's there and which way to go.

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Old 05-01-2014, 03:07   #4

Thumbs up Re: Ireland: Shannon River Cruising

hi chiefdan
I was rooting around to sort my own hols.
but anyway, I live in Ireland and can tell you sincerely that Shannon waterways and ajoining towns are all great.
To really see all the best of it I would qualify your question do you want to cover alot of ground motoring or stay in harbour for more than one night at a time.
couple of really nice spots are portumna athlone killaloe. these are well spread out. shopping for the ladies . good provisioning supplies and watering holes!
this will take you through a large open lake/lough . pretty scenery and many othe small marinas and river exits if the fancy took you.
I hope this helps. any questions drop me a line.
Millar
Millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:49   #5

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft

Dependingon the type of experience you are seeking, by going north from Carrick on Shannon its more canal small lake and river. South, bar one cut (stretch of canal), its wide river and large lake). Depending on the charter company, it may be possible to return the boat to a second company base, giving you the chance to do a one way trip. But a days hard travel should get you back to Carrick after a weeks leisurely cruising. Regards Joe McDonnell

Sent from my ME173X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 16:32   #6

Millar,

THanks for the info. I think we're going to leave out of Carrick on Shannon simply because that seems to be easiest to get to from Dublin and has most of the boat rentals. My research so far has pointed towards heading south just because of the travel times.
I think we want to take in sites on shore and defintely try and enjoy local pubs and restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millar View Post
hi chiefdan
I was rooting around to sort my own hols.
but anyway, I live in Ireland and can tell you sincerely that Shannon waterways and ajoining towns are all great.
To really see all the best of it I would qualify your question do you want to cover alot of ground motoring or stay in harbour for more than one night at a time.
couple of really nice spots are portumna athlone killaloe. these are well spread out. shopping for the ladies . good provisioning supplies and watering holes!
this will take you through a large open lake/lough . pretty scenery and many othe small marinas and river exits if the fancy took you.
I hope this helps. any questions drop me a line.
Millar
Old 24-01-2014, 03:20   #7

Joe,

Are there sites to see that would give the edge to going N over S or vice versa? I picked S since the travel times between towns was closer judging by the chart here: Cruise Ireland | Shannon River Boating Holidays Ireland Cruising Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemac4sail View Post
Dependingon the type of experience you are seeking, by going north from Carrick on Shannon its more canal small lake and river. South, bar one cut (stretch of canal), its wide river and large lake). Depending on the charter company, it may be possible to return the boat to a second company base, giving you the chance to do a one way trip. But a days hard travel should get you back to Carrick after a weeks leisurely cruising. Regards Joe McDonnell

Sent from my ME173X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
cruising, Ireland