Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 15:05   #1

Boat: Dufour 35
Ireland and EU

I am having a heck of a time finding information about staying on our sailboat in Ireland. We are thinking once we cross over from Nova Scotia we'd like to spend the winter somewhere in that vicinity, living on the boat. Does anyone know where to find rules and information about that? How long can I stay? What documents/procedures need to be completed? Can we work there for the winter? What is required for that?

I know. A lot of questions and we don't leave until 2019 so I have time. But these are details I like to know ahead of time as we plan our route.

THANKS to all!
Old 05-06-2015, 14:07   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Ireland and EU

If you want to work in Ireland, I suggest you check Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service Home Page

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 14:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillnord View Post
I am having a heck of a time finding information about staying on our sailboat in Ireland. We are thinking once we cross over from Nova Scotia we'd like to spend the winter somewhere in that vicinity, living on the boat. Does anyone know where to find rules and information about that? How long can I stay? What documents/procedures need to be completed? Can we work there for the winter? What is required for that?

I know. A lot of questions and we don't leave until 2019 so I have time. But these are details I like to know ahead of time as we plan our route.

THANKS to all!
private mesaage sent
Huckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:58   #4

Www.irishcruisingclub.com has publications!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
paulclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 13:47   #5

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulclan View Post
Www.irishcruisingclub.com has publications!
Yes, I highly recommend these: Home -
As they say on the cover: "If you are intending to cruise these coasts, it is essential. There is no alternative and there is no need for one."

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:18   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Ireland is Schengen, so unless you have a residence permit or long stay visa, you are limited to 3 months out of six, and not just in Ireland, but the whole Schengen zone, subject to some fairly obscure exceptions.

The UK is more flexible and makes a much better base from the point of view of immigration, typically giving you six months at a time every time you enter (but beware of becoming a tax resident). South coast of UK is reasonably warm in winter and has pretty cheap berthing - so all in all a great place to spend the winter. Clear out by April, however, when it becomes the most expensive place in Europe to sail.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Ireland is Schengen, so unless you have a residence permit or long stay visa, you are limited to 3 months out of six, and not just in Ireland, but the whole Schengen zone, subject to some fairly obscure exceptions.

The UK is more flexible and makes a much better base from the point of view of immigration, typically giving you six months at a time every time you enter (but beware of becoming a tax resident). South coast of UK is reasonably warm in winter and has pretty cheap berthing - so all in all a great place to spend the winter. Clear out by April, however, when it becomes the most expensive place in Europe to sail.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dockhead, Ireland is not Schengen. Berthing in Ireland is considerably cheaper than in the UK.

List of Schengen Area Member States - France-Diplomatie - Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development
keseyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:03   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by keseyken View Post
Dockhead, Ireland is not Schengen. Berthing in Ireland is considerably cheaper than in the UK.

List of Schengen Area Member States - France-Diplomatie - Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development
You're right! I stand corrected. Thanks for that and sorry for the misinformation.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:08   #9

Hi jillnord,

Just to endorse the excellent advice previously given regarding the immigration service at www.inis.gov.ie/ and the cruising guides from the ICC.

I note that you're from Minnesota. Winter here isn't as cold as you are used to, but it's not the Med either. Living onboard for the winter will require either heating or thermals - our climate is cool but humid. The humidity makes it feel colder than it would with low humidity and the same temperature.

There is an excellent website www.inyourfootsteps.com that you can use to plan marinas etc. There are few locations here where people will anchor or moor during winter months as generally local insurance companies won't cover your boat in these circumstances ( a couple of very exceptional and very sheltered locations apart).

The website can let you locate some of the marinas that are available and you can contact them and haggle with rates. It's worth haggling as unlike locals, you have the option to relocate to another part of the country so if they want your business, then.....

Some marinas don't like long term liveaboards so make sure you discuss your likely term of stay with them.

Finally if you need any local advice on marinas or other stuff, don't hesitate to ask. I'm not a regular visitor to the site, but I'll try to keep an eye out.

Regards

Padraig
skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:58   #10

Boat: Ker 33 IRC

i live northwest england -- given that you are canadian and the UK government slashed the number of work visas its giving out no matter how talented you are you might end up getting shut out of the UK

Ireland is a different ball game and is not subject to the UKs immigration rules despite sharing a border if you have skills then you're best applying for a work permit/visa --- these are typically 6 months.

cruising wise - there's not gunna be any probs with you living on your boat -- i've been across the irish sea numerous times and lived on my boat whilst working there

just make sure that all your paperwork is in order before you set off !!!!!! have fun
ruby tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 13:43   #11

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Ireland is a great place to winter when you need a non Schengen country.

that's what we did.

People are great and dock and fuel prices very good.
Really good.

Go online and look at Waterford, price is also online.

I doubt you can get a work visa anyplace in EU.

Richard on Dauntless now in Ireland
Kadey Krogen 42'
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ireland