Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 16:05   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: St Paul MN
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 16
Ireland and EU

I am having a heck of a time finding information about staying on our sailboat in Ireland. We are thinking once we cross over from Nova Scotia we'd like to spend the winter somewhere in that vicinity, living on the boat. Does anyone know where to find rules and information about that? How long can I stay? What documents/procedures need to be completed? Can we work there for the winter? What is required for that?

I know. A lot of questions and we don't leave until 2019 so I have time. But these are details I like to know ahead of time as we plan our route.

THANKS to all!
__________________

__________________
Jill from Lake Superior
jillnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 15:07   #2
Registered User
 
Hydra's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lorient, Brittany, France
Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Posts: 1,229
Re: Ireland and EU

If you want to work in Ireland, I suggest you check Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service Home Page

Alain
__________________

__________________
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 15:33   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 160
Re: Ireland and EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillnord View Post
I am having a heck of a time finding information about staying on our sailboat in Ireland. We are thinking once we cross over from Nova Scotia we'd like to spend the winter somewhere in that vicinity, living on the boat. Does anyone know where to find rules and information about that? How long can I stay? What documents/procedures need to be completed? Can we work there for the winter? What is required for that?

I know. A lot of questions and we don't leave until 2019 so I have time. But these are details I like to know ahead of time as we plan our route.

THANKS to all!
private mesaage sent
__________________
Huckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:58   #4
Registered User
 
paulclan's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 22
Re: Ireland and EU

Www.irishcruisingclub.com has publications!


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
paulclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 14:47   #5
Registered User
 
Hydra's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lorient, Brittany, France
Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Posts: 1,229
Re: Ireland and EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulclan View Post
Www.irishcruisingclub.com has publications!
Yes, I highly recommend these: Home -
As they say on the cover: "If you are intending to cruise these coasts, it is essential. There is no alternative and there is no need for one."

Alain
__________________
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:18   #6
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,737
Re: Ireland and EU

Ireland is Schengen, so unless you have a residence permit or long stay visa, you are limited to 3 months out of six, and not just in Ireland, but the whole Schengen zone, subject to some fairly obscure exceptions.

The UK is more flexible and makes a much better base from the point of view of immigration, typically giving you six months at a time every time you enter (but beware of becoming a tax resident). South coast of UK is reasonably warm in winter and has pretty cheap berthing - so all in all a great place to spend the winter. Clear out by April, however, when it becomes the most expensive place in Europe to sail.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-Ítre pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:25   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Re: Ireland and EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Ireland is Schengen, so unless you have a residence permit or long stay visa, you are limited to 3 months out of six, and not just in Ireland, but the whole Schengen zone, subject to some fairly obscure exceptions.

The UK is more flexible and makes a much better base from the point of view of immigration, typically giving you six months at a time every time you enter (but beware of becoming a tax resident). South coast of UK is reasonably warm in winter and has pretty cheap berthing - so all in all a great place to spend the winter. Clear out by April, however, when it becomes the most expensive place in Europe to sail.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dockhead, Ireland is not Schengen. Berthing in Ireland is considerably cheaper than in the UK.

List of Schengen Area Member States - France-Diplomatie - Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development
__________________
keseyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:03   #8
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,737
Re: Ireland and EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by keseyken View Post
Dockhead, Ireland is not Schengen. Berthing in Ireland is considerably cheaper than in the UK.

List of Schengen Area Member States - France-Diplomatie - Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development
You're right! I stand corrected. Thanks for that and sorry for the misinformation.
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:08   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1
Re: Ireland and EU

Hi jillnord,

Just to endorse the excellent advice previously given regarding the immigration service at www.inis.gov.ie/ and the cruising guides from the ICC.

I note that you're from Minnesota. Winter here isn't as cold as you are used to, but it's not the Med either. Living onboard for the winter will require either heating or thermals - our climate is cool but humid. The humidity makes it feel colder than it would with low humidity and the same temperature.

There is an excellent website www.inyourfootsteps.com that you can use to plan marinas etc. There are few locations here where people will anchor or moor during winter months as generally local insurance companies won't cover your boat in these circumstances ( a couple of very exceptional and very sheltered locations apart).

The website can let you locate some of the marinas that are available and you can contact them and haggle with rates. It's worth haggling as unlike locals, you have the option to relocate to another part of the country so if they want your business, then.....

Some marinas don't like long term liveaboards so make sure you discuss your likely term of stay with them.

Finally if you need any local advice on marinas or other stuff, don't hesitate to ask. I'm not a regular visitor to the site, but I'll try to keep an eye out.

Regards

Padraig
__________________
skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:58   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: north wales uk
Boat: Ker 33 IRC
Posts: 70
Re: Ireland and EU

i live northwest england -- given that you are canadian and the UK government slashed the number of work visas its giving out no matter how talented you are you might end up getting shut out of the UK

Ireland is a different ball game and is not subject to the UKs immigration rules despite sharing a border if you have skills then you're best applying for a work permit/visa --- these are typically 6 months.

cruising wise - there's not gunna be any probs with you living on your boat -- i've been across the irish sea numerous times and lived on my boat whilst working there

just make sure that all your paperwork is in order before you set off !!!!!! have fun
__________________
ruby tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 14:43   #11
Registered User
 
Dauntlessny's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA & Europe
Boat: Kadey Krogen '42
Posts: 273
Re: Ireland and EU

Ireland is a great place to winter when you need a non Schengen country.

that's what we did.

People are great and dock and fuel prices very good.
Really good.

Go online and look at Waterford, price is also online.

I doubt you can get a work visa anyplace in EU.


Richard on Dauntless now in Ireland
Kadey Krogen 42'
__________________

__________________
Richard on M/Y Dauntless
https://dauntlessatsea.com/
Location: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Ireland

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charts of Ireland and Scotland aneblanc Navigation 1 26-11-2013 11:29
Scotland, Wales, Ireland Phantom Corsair Europe & Mediterranean 27 08-05-2013 15:14
Want To Buy: Charts, UK and Ireland annk Classifieds Archive 2 13-05-2012 12:45
Vector Charts for UK and Ireland r.fairman OpenCPN 1 18-12-2011 02:58
The Med from Ireland by Christmas ? swagman Europe & Mediterranean 3 27-10-2005 07:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:24.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.