Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 09:22   #1

Boat: Roberts 434
Inverness to Copenhagen - suggestions?

Hi Everyone:

I am currently working on my plan for summer 2017. First Tracks is currently wintering in Ardrossan Scotland, and the first part of the season will be spent in SW Scotland, and transiting the Caledonian Canal. We are scheduled to disembark crew in Inverness May 22nd. Our next firm commitment is in Copenhagen in early July.

My current plan is to sail to Bergen No via the Shetlands and Orkneys, and them work our way around the Norwegian and Swedish coasts as far as Goteborg, and then into Denmark. We have just over 6 weeks for this.

I have done a bit of research into various harbours and anchorages along the way, and I definitely with I had an entire summer to cruise this stretch. I suspect we will be back in this area in 2018 or 2019, so I don't feel I need to see all the best sights this time through. My full time crew consists of my wife and 6 year old daughter, so I am not looking for too many long days or big crossings.

I am looking for any specific suggestions for places not to miss, and also places not worth the effort to get to. A couple of specific areas I am considering are LysenFjorden inland from Stavanger, and Oslo. Both are detours in a sense - are they worth the time?

I also have read little so far about Denmark. A Swedish friend recommended Skagen at the top of Jutland, and we will be collecting crew in Copenhagen. I will need to travel south from Copenhagen, to meet a group in Rostock Germany. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Deryk
deryky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:37   #2

Boat: Heritage 35
Re: Inverness to Copenhagen - suggestions?

Having cruised Norway for 3 years. I'd leave Inverness cross to Stavanger and head South. From Stavanger take a day and sail into Pulpit rock. then back out and South Cross from Kristiansand to Denmark. Lots of towns and anchorages on the way, friendly people and most of the route is protected. We've been through the Caledonia 3 times, expensive but does save going around the top. and can be entertaining in the locks with the rental boats. Wifi is expensive in the canal fuel is cheap fuel at Corpach or Inverness. The Sea Port Marina at Inverness is free for the first night and daily rate after that was about 8# sterling. Marina's in Norway ran about $16 to $25 Cdn. with honour boxes. You can check out our blog for some pictures of the coast and canal at Kalinka 1's adventure at Blogspot.com
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:46   #3
AUK

Boat: Olle Enderlein 32
Re: Inverness to Copenhagen - suggestions?

Hi Deryk,
You are coming into great sailing waters and there are many places to explore! We have cruised these waters over the last 5 years and love it.
1) So, my first advice is to spend plenty of time in Orkney and Shetland.
Shop at Imray for Cruising Guides. They are pretty good but expensive.
Maybe go to a local library or yacht club to see the guides before you buy.
2) For Norway and West Coast of Sweden I am using the Norwegian Cruising Guide by Phyllis Nickel & John Harries. Many practical suggestions for places to visit.
3) Denmark and the Baltic: Imray again; Cruising Guide to Germany and Denmark.
Good luck with the project !
Niels
AUK is offline   Reply With Quote