Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 02:27   #1

Innocent Questions for Turkey, Marmaris to Datca

Hello All,
Me and two of my friends are renting a brand new oceanis 34 for 1 week in may to sail between marmaris and datca (or bodrum). We are all almost without experience. My friend goes to Gocek for 1 week each year for the past 10 years with his family but they don't usually leave the protected Gocek area. Him and I had sailing lessons on a 50 footer for about 20 hours each, and had a bavaria 50 for 1 week in gocek but with a captain. 3rd friend has no experience whatsoever.
For our first trip alone we wanted something simple like marmaris-datca trip and back but some say we should just stick to Gocek. For first timers like us, do you think we can do Marmaris-Datca without major problems and should go for it? I feel confident we have the knowledge but never been on this kind of trip before. If you think we should do it and its not that tough a route, what advice can you offer me regarding sea and wind conditions in that area around may, and what I must watch out for. All and any advice of past experiences is appreciated.
By the way, we are all turkish and have been to many of these locations before on land, and we feel that gives us an advantage if something goes wrong.
Thanks
memch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:35   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
May is a good time to go, less wind- and why not give it a try? Start in Bodrum area and sail south to Marmaris then back Good Luck!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 14:22   #3

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS
Memch: Welcome to the Board, and to your sailing adventures. During May the weather is quite calm, in that there are usually no major storms to contend with and the Meltemi has yet to kick up. The route between Marmaris and Datca is an easy and comfortable cruise for a week. Assuming you are picking up the boat in Marmaris, you can be off and headed toward Boyuz Buku in no time. However, the afternoon winds can pick up going through the pass between Turkey and Symi Island. There are plenty of coves and bays to cruise in and remain safe from any adverse winds. Go for it.

Life isn't a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!"
gegroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:25   #4

Boat: beneteau 423
I agree with the previous posters, there are no real dangers on the route you propose, the Meltemi will be absent, however expect to motor quite a lot as you go from go from Marmaris towars Bodrum. The only car point I would raise is that it can be quite gusty going between the Datca penninsula and Kos- that's why there is a winsdsurf centre just there on Kos! The sailing is easy- how's your experience mooring? As you are probably aware, the normal practice is to anchor with a line ashore, it's not difficult to do, but somtimes requires a bit of planning and quick swimming if it's windy. Anyway, enjoy the sailing in the beutiful waters of your country.
Bryan
S/Y Future Options
lying Yalikavak Turkey
bryan and wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:37   #5

Thanks

Thank you for the encouragement. I have been windsurfing the waters of Alacati since I was 7 and know how bad the wind can get. thats why i was a bit worried. but as you all said may should be ok. i might try it again in september if all goes well and i know meltemi might be a problem than. if anyone knows the northern area, we have a place in Sarpdere bay on the way to alacati from sigacik. i have lined ashore many times with a fishing boat so i hope that wont be a problem. as i said, i never captained a sailing boat for a week before and that was mine main worry. Thanks to you all now that is gone.
memch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Turkey