Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 12:01   #31

Boat: 1974 Stilson 44
Re: Inexpensive in the Mediterranean

Thanks everyone for your comments, I really appreciate it and have taking notes and done lots of research. And if there should be more suggestions or comments, please keep 'em coming.

Happy sailing folk!
Old 07-11-2011, 00:52   #32

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
It is not easy getting a handle of what place might be the best value, as we've all got differing ideas on what we want from a winter berth and therefore we'll pick out aspects that suit us but may not suit others........

We spent some time cruising the Med in 2005/6/7 and (please do remember this was then) if we had to list the countries in order of cost for a good quality marina in the countries we visited when getting quotes for winter berthing in order from low to high cost, it would be a bit like this.

1. Egypt
2. Israel
3 Canary Islands
4. Turkey
5. Greece
6. Spanish mainland
7. France
8. Portugal / Algarve
9. Italy
10. Croatia
11. England / South Coast
12. Balearics

Hope this helps.

JOHN
Oops....missed some others we could also comment on. Added in bold to list above.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 07-11-2011, 02:02   #33

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long

Hi - we're a UK flagged vessel and have been cruising the western Med since 2006 (tho not this year, so our info is to 2010.)

It depends what you want in your winter base as people have said. We had a v pleasant winter based afloat in Rome, with time spent there and in England. it wasn't cheap - but if you compared it to several weeks paying for accommodation there and getting to know that city, it was great value! So - will you be aboard? Do you want a live-aboard community where you are? Are you anticipating work on your boat needing outside assistance? What do you enjoy - eg sight-seeing?

The advice about Navy Service in the Golfe de Fos is absolutely correct: it is almost certainly the cheapest place in the Western Med, and the local town (Port St Louis) is well set up to cater to cruisers. (it is also the main exit area from the French canal system.) There is another marina with both afloat and ashore storage nearby, called Port Napoleon, which if you reckon to spend time aboard, is a bit dearer, still has mossies but is a bit more salubrious.

Gauvins also gave good advice. Cagliari is excellent. A lot of people have reported favourably on Marina de Ragusa in Southern Sicily, though it is a place to stay or leave, as it is a trek to an airport. Malta is worth exploring, though not nearly as cheap as it once was, as it is very easy to get to. There is good storage afloat or ashore, and if you need substantial work done it can help that so much English is spoken.

On the Atlantic coast, then it would be worth looking at Cascais, at the mouth of the Lisbon river, or indeed the Doca's further up river in the city. (Fewer cruisers, closer to sights, certainly cheaper from August on). Or try Portimao (already mentioned, popular with cruisers with kids), Lagos (lots of Brits), the hook at Alvor (t'other end of the spectrum), on the hook upriver at Alcotim, on the hook upriver outside Seville (our favourite), in the marina at Rota (much more pleasant than Cadiz marine itself), or the new Spanish marina at La Linnea (more sociable and cheaper than Gib, but in Spain).

We had a fab time in Morocco in 2007. We think Smir however is rather isolated and expensive (it's really European prices). If you were happy to leave the boat afloat, you could look at Tanger, where the security is excellent and transport connections also good. Alternatively, consider Mellilla,. the eastern Spanish enclave inside Nabor. Ludicrously cheap, afloat only, several liveaboards, but transport connections dire.

We haven't got to Turkey yet, as we found so much lovely cruising and places to see in the western med. I'm sure it is cheaper there, but you will dash past some of the most exciting places to visit.

HTH and enjoy the exploring.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:10   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I really agree that you have to decide your priorities. If it's cost driven then that defines where you will go ( turkey south of Gocek in my opinion ). I prefer France because I love the culture the people and the food. But it costs more.

Dave
Old 07-11-2011, 02:27   #35
Armchair Bucketeer

Be interesting to see how North Africa opens up.......especially Libya (being well placed ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:29   #36
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
Be interesting to see how North Africa opens up.......especially Libya (being well placed ).
Interesting is one word for it, I suppose. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

Dave
Old 07-11-2011, 03:10   #37
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Interesting is one word for it, I suppose. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

Dave
Maybe not hold my breath ............but the BBC / Western Media "reporting" aside (apparently not having sorted everything out already, and the provisional Govt not including any 1 legged black lesbians is a sure sign of doom ).........

......I heard that the UK Govt wants to exhume the body of Colonel Gaddaffi, apparently his assylum application has now been approved. and the free Council Houses (for him and his tribe) are now ready.......obviously compensation will need to be paid for the delay.

But IMO no reason why Libya could not become a pleasant destination......
Old 07-11-2011, 04:19   #38
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
and the provisional Govt not including any 1 legged black lesbians is a sure sign of doom ).........

is it the legs, lesbian, or race that is the problem
Old 07-11-2011, 05:49   #39

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long

Thought this was a politics-free(ish) forum ...
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:53   #40
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
is it the legs, lesbian, or race that is the problem
The fact that being all 3 guarantees a long and well paid Govt Career - thinking of ever more bizarre ideas to p#ss money against a wall.

No caricutures with me .

BTW.......I heard the UK Govt has sent Crystals to Greece, apparently if they wave them around whilst chanting to the Earth Mother it will solve the Eurozone Crisis. It's also George Osborne's Plan B
Old 07-11-2011, 06:54   #41
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
BTW.......I heard the UK Govt has sent Crystals to Greece, apparently if they wave them around whilst chanting to the Earth Mother it will solve the Eurozone Crisis. It's also George Osborne's
well definitely better then anything the Germans have come up with..

Dave
Old 07-11-2011, 07:02   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Inexpensive in the Mediterranean

Quote:

Dave
'SIGH.......' Women as 'The Boss' is never popular...
They wobble the old 'Sense of Superiority'.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:47   #43
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

Dave
They are keeping there powder dry..........

...........3rd time lucky and all that
Old 21-11-2011, 13:46   #44

Boat: 33ft sloop

Also to my experience I'll second Gauvains and Roaring Girl. I know Navy Service very well as well as the other side: Port Napoleon, where they have some good facilities.
I used to have in the past a very good time at M'diq, which is called now differently. It was in my time a small fishing port with no facilities and a sleeping guardsman. From there, when we needed foodstuff and refreshments (beer, booze) we sailed to Gib, about 7 hrs sailing. Beware for the Levante.

The eastern part of the Med I am not so familiar with but I know lost of hiding places in Spain, France and Corse. Corse in this respect opens for boats under 40' some possibilities if you have some sort of transportation with you.
A dinghy is obligatoire. Wherever you are in the Med.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 00:34   #45
Marine Service Provider

Jesper,

If you want to leave it in the water and looking for cheap berthing, get your boat over to Greece. There are plenty of spaces on town quays in small harbours in the Ionian and available for overwintering yachts. I can suggests several if your are interested and there are plenty of people that will check the boat every other day, make sure lines and fenders are good, bilges etc. Otherwise, if you want 100% security, i would advise the hard standing in Vlicho Bay or at Actio Marinas...very reasonable! Can out you in touch with some people if you like?

Dave
http://www.ioniansailingpilot.com
ionianpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mediterranean