Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 12:46   #1

How to Get to the Med from the South Atlantic ?

HELLO, DOES ANYONE HAVE ADVICE ON THE BEST WAY TO GET FROM THE SOUTH ATLANTIC (MOST LIKELY SOUTH AFRICA) UP AND INTO THE MED? ANY THOUGHTS OR FIRST HAND ACCOUNTS WOULD BE GREAT!!!
THANKS
dniello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 13:52   #2

Any body got any thoughts????
Old 11-03-2010, 14:23   #3
Eternal Member

Hmmm...let's see. There are thousands of boats, literally, which have done that passage over the years, including the great square riggers. Many yachts have done it, too.

Check out Ocean Passages of the World. Check out www.noonsight.com. Lots of round-the-world races have done that routing, too. The tracks of many racers can still be found on the race websites.

In general, the strategy is to sail to the Brazilian coast, thru the doldrums, thru the easterly tradewinds, to the northern latitudes before taking departure for Bermuda, the Azores, and the Med.

You might also check out the pilot charts of the North and South Atlantic for the month(s) you plan to go. These are available free online.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:16   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Bill summed it up. There is really no other (easy) route to take.
JOHN
Old 12-03-2010, 15:43   #5

Great advice, thanks. I always thought it would be a cold trip across the north atlantic or a lot of beating and motoring. Is this true????
Old 12-03-2010, 16:26   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
If in the hurry - do not close with Brazil too much (say you go via Helena and Ascension) then cross the ITCZ at about 25-30W then sail very close to the wind and go for the Azores, or for the W coast of Spain/Portugal. (meaning - Bermuda is not necessary).

The route is a mix of heavy and light conditions so a well sailing, well prepared boat will be a huge bonus.

If not in the hurry then sail via the West Indies.

If sailing direct, you will likely depart RSA late to avoid arriving into the N hemisphere early.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 04:00   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

St Martin/Azores/Portugal is a great trip..... done it 3 times with no problems.... as long as its not between late June and October when the first 5 - 600 miles could be bouncy... would not go via Bermuda anytime of year if crossing... but thats a personal choice... never see the point of spending more time than nessecary in Hurricane Alley.
Crossing from the East Coast of US is another story... colder, wetter and often rougher..
As for the South Atlantic... see previous posts..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 04:51   #8

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Note the link above should say Noonsite: The global site for cruising sailors
Old 03-04-2010, 10:45   #9

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch
Jimmy Cornell completed his last circumnavigation by taking a shortcut through Cape Verdes and the Canaries direct to Gibraltar. From Noonsite:

"I would suggest you take the route I sailed myself in 2005: Cape Town to St Helena, Ascension, north across the equator to Praia in the Cape Verdes, then to the Canaries (we stopped in Gomera), and on to Gibraltar (good winds during a SW depression - frequent in March). You'll be on the wind north of Cape Verdes to Canaries, so take short tacks and also enough fuel from Cape Town (or St Helena). Good luck!
Jimmy Cornell, noonsite
PS. Details of my voyage in my latest book "A Passion for the Sea" avaialble at www.noonsite.com/booksale"
Paul Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 15:48   #10

Boat: a sailing boat
Yes, and in Cornell's PLS do note the "March" and the 'depressions' - it is far more difficult in anything else (majority of winds here are NW and pretty strong).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 15:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Lefebvre View Post
Jimmy Cornell completed his last circumnavigation by taking a shortcut through Cape Verdes and the Canaries direct to Gibraltar. From Noonsite:

"I would suggest you take the route I sailed myself in 2005: Cape Town to St Helena, Ascension, north across the equator to Praia in the Cape Verdes, then to the Canaries (we stopped in Gomera), and on to Gibraltar (good winds during a SW depression - frequent in March). You'll be on the wind north of Cape Verdes to Canaries, so take short tacks and also enough fuel from Cape Town (or St Helena). Good luck!
Jimmy Cornell, noonsite
PS. Details of my voyage in my latest book "A Passion for the Sea" avaialble at www.noonsite.com/booksale"
Hello from Spain:

Concerning noonsite... from Canary islands.... do not go straight to MED... have to go via Madeira...

From Canary Islands (LANZAROTE) point to MADEIRA (48 HRS) and then (depending on the westerlies) tacking (sorry if not written that way) to Casablanca and from there to HUELVA (4 DAYS) and Gibraltar. From Madeira it is a good tactic awaiting a LOW preassure (in spanish is Borrasca) and use it to go straight IT WORKS !.
Waiting for SW winds is not good idea as it blows strong and creates high seas (mostly SW on winter).
The season ...Best from April to May.. avoid July and summer.. as westerlies increases and make it hard...
Dangers: Close to Morocco... floating items ... at Morocco bad diesel (too much water on it)... and some sand banks close to cape Satin (or gatin dont remember).. therefore try to avoid africa coast.

Luck !!
Old 02-06-2010, 11:29   #12

Boat: Sweden, classic salup, & 9 meters- Mojo
Untitled Document

Not very accurate, but it gives you a nie overview.

fair vinds

Mud
Captain mud is offline   Reply With Quote