Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 22:37   #16

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
the international certificate of competence is the equivalent to RYA day skipper or ASA 104 if a person gains his/her RYA day skipper then all they have to do is apply for a ICC which is only a paper work process I have been now sailing in the Greece based in the Cyclades Islands since 1993 and I have No qualifications what so ever except experience gained over the yrs the only thing i carry is Radio licence yes Insurance docs in both greek and english and vat cert and owernship papers
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:16   #17

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
For Australians:

You can probably get by with the Recreational Skippers Ticket plus a passport.

Shame they dont include a photo on this ticket.

UK ICC is free to UK RYA members who have a Day Skipper practical and above. This does have a photo. So does the RYA Yachtmaster ticket.

I reckon with all three I should be good to go!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:47   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 57
The ICC is about the same level of knowledge as the first ASA course - successfull participants know enough to identify the forward parts of boats. It is a very basic entry-level certification.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:15   #19

Boat: Bowman 57 -- Aleria
Thanks everyone. You led to me to search online and I found something that may be useful to others on the Irish Sailing Assn site: http://www.sailing.ie/dynamic/pdf/Gu...CC(JULY04).pdf

FAQs are found here: Irish Sailing Association - Training - International Certificate of Competency
CruisingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:42   #20

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
With respect, the only time we've been asked for 'proof of qualifications' in Europe virtually any document would have satisfied the offical due to the lack of English. It could have been an ICC, RYA certification, or anything else official looking.
I strongly suspect anything you might have already issued to you in your own country will suffice.
JOHN
Old 05-09-2009, 18:04   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The ICC is not equivalent to the RYA day skipper, The day skipper cert is to a far higher standard. ( thats why they will give you a ICC if you have one_). Its a simple on the water assesment and paper exam to get an ICC. The day skipper is a five day on the water course.

Note you can only get an ICC for your own countrys issuing authority and schools. Unlike say ASA tickets or RYA day skipper YM etc

Agree re comments abouyt being asked for anything in the med, Yacht Reg and insurance is all that you need ( The VAT thing is nonsense as there is no such thing as a standard "proof of VAT").( you could just make up an invoice for all anyone can check up on!!).
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 00:34   #22

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The day skipper is a five day on the water course.
Not actually true. Sailing schools sell a 5 day course leading up to the day skipper exam. The actual exam is carried out by a different person who comes aboard for the sole purpose of carrying out the exam on the day.

Even the Yachtmaster exam is a one day and night exam only.

The rest of the period is designed to bring people up to the required level of competence.
Old 06-09-2009, 00:58   #23

Boat: 1953 McGruer 33' and 1949 Vertue V26
I've got the ICC which seems to cover it all.
Jim Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:33   #24

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re go boating now Remark on the vat thing being nonsense this yr alone in the port of Naxos( Greek Island/ Cyclades ) two yachts have been impounded for this as the owners produced doc's of which they stated was a proof of vat paid on there yachts ( these yachts where from an eu country) when infact they just made them up on there own computer , and so far 7 charter yachts have been stopped going any further because none of the crew of these yachts could prove any form of sailing qualification, the authorities are starting to clamp down more and as i live on Naxos for nine months of the yr i see them more and more doing inspections on yachts and when i return every April they just ask to see my insurance papers and vhf licence
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:43   #25

Boat: Koopmans, 33 ft cutter
The difference in legislation between EU states is quite interesting.
In French seas you do not need any permit for a pleasure sailing craft, even if it has an engine. However, if you take the mast down your sailing boat becomes a motor boat and you need a permit, both at sea and inland waters.
For a motorboat, even your tender, you always need a permit when you have more than 6 horses.

For those who understand French:

Depuis le 1er janvier 2008, le permis plaisance est un titre de conduite unique obligatoire pour piloter un bateau de plaisance à moteur que cela soit en eaux maritimes ou en eaux intérieures. Le permis plaisance est obligatoire lorsque la puissance motrice du bateau est supérieure à 4,5 kilowatts (6cv).En eaux maritimes, la conduite des navires de plaisance à voile de plaisance, mêmes équipés d'un moteur auxiliaire, n'est pas subordonnée à la possession d'un permis.

Klaas
Zoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:06   #26

Boat: Lagoon 440
Croatia over rated

Almost no red tape for us past year sailing south of France, most of Italy and now Croatia. I have a Masters captains but have never been asked. All they ever want is boat doc and insurance.
By the way, we loved the south of France and italy. The tuscan islands are very cool, loved Ponza. We have been in Croatia now for two months. They charge you for everything. First about $300 for cruising permit good for one year. Then many harbors charge you to simply anchor using your own gear from $20 to $40, then above that charge a "tourist fee" of a couple bucks for each person on board per day, and they do this everyday! Marinas run on average about $2/foot. Now Croatia is beautiful but has nothing over France and Italy. Bottom line Croatia gets a lot of press these days and is very very busy in August but is just more of the same from island to island with a system of non stop charges
jmpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 14:29   #27
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Re go boating now Remark on the vat thing being nonsense this yr alone in the port of Naxos( Greek Island/ Cyclades ) two yachts have been impounded for this as the owners produced doc's of which they stated was a proof of vat paid on there yachts ( these yachts where from an eu country) when infact they just made them up on there own computer
Why I mentioned it it that there is NO SUCH thing as "proof of VAT paid". No country produces such official documentation. You might have an original sales invoice, all that is a piece of paper a past supplier may have provided. This is because VAT is paid by the commercial seller of the boat and is remited as a composite amount ( ie all sales vat minus purchase VAT for the reporting period, This could represent one boat or 10 boats etc. The fact is that once you can show your yacht is in the EU already, ie its not an import , VAT then is the responsibility of the country that it was first imported into. In fact even if youd oaid the VAT in another country , it wouldnt remove the requirement to pay the VAT in the original country of import. VAT is a country specific issue not an EU wide consistent tax.

In all my years cruising the med, I have never met anyone first hand that had a VAT issue, what I did find was that often they couldnt prove ownership( ie yacht not registered) or prove that the yacht was already in the EU and hence were assesed for importing the yacht into the particular country and hence VAT was demanded.

BTW Zoef, that french rule only applies to french registered boats.

Quote:
Not actually true. Sailing schools sell a 5 day course leading up to the day skipper exam. The actual exam is carried out by a different person who comes aboard for the sole purpose of carrying out the exam on the day.
Actually Talbot, the RYA day skipper is instructor examined, what you refer to is for higher grades of exam, like rya yachtmaster. It is a five day on water course that is examined by the instructor. It does not have a sperate preparation and examination structure like the Coastal SKipper and YM courses.

I am a RYA instructor
Old 06-09-2009, 23:31   #28

Boat: Koopmans, 33 ft cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

BTW Zoef, that french rule only applies to french registered boats.
Only in cases French skippers need a (French) permit, us foreigners need an ICC.

Zoef
Zoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 14:32   #29
Nearly an old salt

no, only if your own country requires it (except the canals of course with the CEVNI requirement)
Old 07-09-2009, 15:05   #30

Residence is not necessarily so difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingKitty View Post
Thanks everyone. You led to me to search online and I found something that may be useful to others on the Irish Sailing Assn site: http://www.sailing.ie/dynamic/pdf/Guide%20to%20the%20ICC(JULY04).pdf

FAQs are found here: Irish Sailing Association - Training - International Certificate of Competency
Once you've drunk a jug of Powers or Guinness & taken a course: you're a resident. After all you are not sleeping under a bridge: you are in command on a bridge.
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mediterranean, red tape