Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2018, 07:10   #1

How do I get a VHF license?

Croatian charter companies are asking for a VHF license, I believe I have also seen it called an MROC license.

I am told "just go to the FCC website" but that has not been a success for me, as there are so many different licenses, and I have been confused by all the different terminology and want to get the appropriate license needed. The closest I have come is a reference to forms 605 and 159 for a "GMDSS Radio Operators License (DO)"

The description says:
The DO qualifies the holder to operate, and make some basic equipment adjustments to, Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) radio installations. It also confers the operating authority of the MP.

Can someone advise me if this is the license I need to charter a bareboat in Croatia (and other countries in the Med)?

Thank you.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:16   #2
cruiser

Re: How do I get a VHF license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
Croatian charter companies are asking for a VHF license, I believe I have also seen it called an MROC license.

I am told "just go to the FCC website" but that has not been a success for me, as there are so many different licenses, and I have been confused by all the different terminology and want to get the appropriate license needed. The closest I have come is a reference to forms 605 and 159 for a "GMDSS Radio Operators License (DO)"

The description says:
The DO qualifies the holder to operate, and make some basic equipment adjustments to, Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) radio installations. It also confers the operating authority of the MP.

Can someone advise me if this is the license I need to charter a bareboat in Croatia (and other countries in the Med)?

Thank you.
How to get licence, take one day course and exam for Marine VHF - DSC or you do not have that in murica.
earlgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:54   #3

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

The FCC no longer gives examinations for the various Commercial Radio Operators licenses (which includes the MROC). Start at this page:
https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...icense-program
You can click on the page that gives you the various entities that do give the exams. For an MROC, you need only Element 1, which should not take a lot of study

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 15:05   #4

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

I don't see why he can't just pay for a restricted operators license. The charter link says vhf or gmdss vhf.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:37   #5

What is MROC?
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:55   #6

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Do a quick internet search for RYA Training Croatia and ask them if you can do the RYA Short Range Certificate. This will teach you how to operate a VHF, basic Pro Words, radio etiquette and most importantly how to construct a May Day message. It only takes half a day. Alternatively find a training school closer to home to do a similar equivalent course

At least 1 person on any vessel fitted with a radio transmitter must have a licence to operate said telecommunications equipment, which in itself must be registered with the flag state's telecommunications authority.

Croatia is no different from any other maritime nation in that respect.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:59   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
What is MROC?

Maritime Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Certificate
earlgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:32   #8

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...icense-program

You want option RR
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:51   #9
Marine Service Provider

In the US it's call a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit. They are free from the FCC if you can figure out their website. Nice people though. No test, no charge. Not even required in marine or aviation within the US but are required for all international aviation (at least my company did) and by some foreign countries for marine use. Don't know if issued only to US citizens or legal residents.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:08   #10
Marine Service Provider

I should have mentioned that the FCC calls it a "Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit" (not "License" as I previously stated). It is good for marine (VHF-FM) and aviation (VHF-AM) applications only.

There is also a "Marine Radio Operator Permit" which is required of all crew who operate any type of two-radio voice communications equipment in commercial marine operations. There is a test for this permit and a charge, or at least there was when I got mine.

It would be nice if posters to this forum would identify their nationality, location, size of boat and other specific information needed for responders to give intelligent and complete information.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:39   #11
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

For a US citizen - $95 gets you the test and test prep for FCC MROP. Good enough to operate VHF and SSB HF outside US waters. I got mine through Mariners Learning System online. The site works great now with new design.
Old 03-02-2018, 13:03   #12

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

jmschmidt, you can indeed get a Restricted Radiotelephone Permit from the FCC, but they are no longer free - they get $70 for them now. Finding them isn't easy, first you have to get an FRN (basically a login with the FCC) then you can apply (Class RR) - they'll walk you through.
At least it'll last for the rest of your life

73 DE Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 23:26   #13
Marine Service Provider

Yes you can go to commercial private peddlers of government documents who charge you for something you can do yourself for little or nothing. They hawk everything from US postage stamps to IRS tax forms but look at the web addresses, I scrolled through seven pages on a Google search before I came to an official FCC.gov website. The government doesn't pay Google to put their websites at the top and the government doesn't share your personal data with commercial firms. Or just sit down at your own computer and make up a radio operator's license for yourself, like the old Vietnam CIA ID known as the "Get Out of Jail Free card. I'll guaranty that most US or foreign government personnel would not know the real thing if they saw . Heck, TSA had never see the Merchant Mariner Document or the TWIC card when they first came out, not sure if they have yet.
Old 04-02-2018, 00:45   #14

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

So what is the down side risk if you operate your VHF and SSB radios on your own boat with no license or permit ?
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:20   #15

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
So what is the down side risk if you operate your VHF and SSB radios on your own boat with no license or permit ?
You don't need a license to operate a vhf in the U.S.

There are laws and penalties for not having a license when operating equipment requiring one.

Based on comments on CF, enforcement is rare.

From
https://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/consu...rizedradio.pdf

Federal law generally prohibits radio broadcasts without a license issued by the FCC. Anyone found
operating a radio station without FCC authorization can be subject to a variety of enforcement actions,
including seizure of equipment, fines and other criminal penalties

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...adio-operation

Authorized exceptions
There are certain limited exceptions to this rule. Operation of Citizens Band (CB) radios, domestic ship and aircraft radios, radio control stations and certain other types of devices is allowed without obtaining individual station licenses. Use of these devices must not violate the FCC's operational and technical rules, however, or it could be considered an unauthorized radio operation. For further information, see the FCC's consumer guide Personal Radio Services for Keeping in Touch. If you are suspicious of or are aware of unauthorized radio operations, please notify the FCC.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, vhf