Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 14:25   #16

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Help extend cruising time in Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Well it would be possible, but have a think about the number of people involved. How many cruisers are there in Turkey that would be affected? say 5000 perhaps? and how many of them would vote in an local election, they answer is none.

So there will little political will to do anything for them, even worse as the Italians are doing now, boat owners make an easy target to throw some mud at and deflect attention from other very real issues like tax rises for locals.

Imagine they did give a 1 year exemption for boat owners, what would the headlines in the local press say?

"Filthy Rich Foreign Boat Owners Given Tax breaks"

Bit dramatic perhaps but you get the picture.

Peter
Maybe you should consider a career in politics... miss the point completely while highlighting an emotive, twisted irrelevancy. (We've got a PM who needs replacing if you fancy some warmer weather)

The politicians there need to be lobbied heavily by the chambers of commerce or equivalent, mayors and councils of the towns who's businesses benefit from the cruisers' dollar.
Unfortunately this takes co-ordinating and a big push. I've no idea if Turkish culture lends itself to this approach.
The cruisers themselves have no voice.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 15:43   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Perhaps it is better to send the letter to US govt? Then your govt can ease visa requirements for Turks, then Turks will ease requirements for US citizens in return.

If Turks can come to US and stay longer than you can stay in Turkey, then send to letters - simply ask them to be nice and give you the same rights they are already enjoying when visiting US!

I am sure this would work.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 16:28   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Perhaps it is better to send the letter to US govt? Then your govt can ease visa requirements for Turks, then Turks will ease requirements for US citizens in return.

If Turks can come to US and stay longer than you can stay in Turkey, then send to letters - simply ask them to be nice and give you the same rights they are already enjoying when visiting US!

I am sure this would work.

b.
Ahemmmm.... feeling a little left out here...
No doubt you could get all the rest of us a temporary honorary green card, just for Turkey...

Old 03-02-2012, 16:56   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Maybe you should consider a career in politics... miss the point completely while highlighting an emotive, twisted irrelevancy.
What did I miss ?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 17:12   #20

Quote:
What did I miss ?
If those 5000 foreign cruisers are spending on average a thousand dollars a month, that's five million dollars a month into the Turkish economy. Groceries, repairs, tourist attractions, fuel, services, etc.

Why would you want 2500 boats?

Short of the administrative fees, where is Turkey losing money? And if there is some overhead associated with cruisers that is exceeding their contributions (which I have a hard time imagining), then they can charge for cruising permits.

Go to a Turkish harbor and ask the residents if they want more or less people buying their goods and services. That's exactly what this whole thing boils down to.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 17:58   #21

Quote:
What did I miss ?
Hi Pete,

A few things...
The OP was looking to solicit support, in conjunction with the efforts of the local harbour master... not a lecture on 'unreasonable' cruiser interests
The implication that cruisers don't pay their way.
The implication that 90 days is enough 'freeloading' (my word)
The implied assumption that cruisers would expect a longer cruising permit to be free.
The idea that more than 90 days is unreasonable just because the Euro countries have it. Australia = 12 months.

I thing Rebel's response was on the money, but I would have used some political hyperbole and said 5000 cruisers staying for a year would have to spend $40k on average... that's $200,000,000 (by the way this kind of logic fits very comfortably with the rationale behind the sovreign debt solutions being bandied around the globe at the moment )

Tags
cruising, Turkey, turkey