Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2013, 22:18   #1

Boat: Oyster 45
Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

Anyone planning to visit Greece in the future should be aware of this...

New Greek Cruising Tax proposed | CA
Old 14-11-2013, 22:22   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Greek Tax !!!!!!

Great way to not get cruisers to come to your country. Our boat would be 1400 euros. Turkey must be pleased.
Old 14-11-2013, 22:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Great way to not get cruisers to come to your country. Our boat would be 1400 euros. Turkey must be pleased.
I doubt some people in Turkey would be pleased.. they have just bought out a lot of the Greek marinas!!!
Old 14-11-2013, 23:34   #4
cruiser

$200 per month to visit Greece? Well, that will certainly encourage us to spend more time in Turkey, less time in Greece. Well done Greece.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 23:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
$200 per month to visit Greece? Well, that will certainly encourage us to spend more time in Turkey, less time in Greece. Well done Greece.
Your right, we would have to cut down on the wine. That is 100 bottles a month we would have to loose to pay for it. Doesn't bare thinking about.

The Greeks seem to have gone mad. They reduce the tax on restaurants to encourage tourism and then want to tax boat owners so much they will never go there.
Old 15-11-2013, 02:47   #6

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

This is not surprising.....when have be auroras ever had any understanding of how business works.
When boat tourism drops off radically they will be forced to rethink this issue.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 04:55   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Never been there, but seems like the anchorages would be a lot less crowded. I've been saying for 10 years this is the coming model. Clearance and ports fees, tax whatever are going to skyrocket world wide.

For my boat would be a lot less and also for a whole year.

But seriously, it's like "why do you rob banks" not to hard for these countries with prime cruising grounds to figure out who to charge more.

The sad thing is no doubt huge whores of the sea cruise ships will be exempted.
Old 15-11-2013, 05:30   #8

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Guess I won't be going to Greece. Too bad, I'll just spend my money elsewhere.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 06:01   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

I will just add this to my planning and pay the tax if needed. I just don't believe that that for me going to the Med and not going to Greece as a desired option.

But till it is really approved there isn't any reason to get all in a panic. The coastal towns and businesses that depend on cruisers are going to push back like last time and I bet changes are going to be made to the law.tax.
Old 15-11-2013, 06:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
But till it is really approved there isn't any reason to get all in a panic. The coastal towns and businesses that depend on cruisers are going to push back like last time and I bet changes are going to be made to the law.tax.
Agreed. It´s a dead horse from my sight, because since many years the same story comes up again and again. Meanwhile turkish investors have bought some greek marinas. They wouldn´t invest if they had to fear that marinas will be empty in future. Even Greeks live from income not only from sunshine.
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 07:07   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

It's a very hight amount to pay when we would be on a shengan visa thus only allowing a maximum of six moths per year in the EU.

Not only this, it makes it quite a passage to avoid stopping in Greece on a transit from italy to turkey or visa versa. Med weather is quite variable.... And one would be inside Greek Territorial waters a lot too....

Bizarre they could expect 400 euros of a 39 foot boat and 1,200 euros of a 40 footer... Madness.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 07:08   #12

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

this will get bounced right out of parliament once again over the past 4 yrs they have tried to introduce this and it has not passed the final stages what you will see more of is port fees being Charged where by the port police will start charging you on top of the marina fees ie a good example was this yr in Syros at finnikas bay you pay 10 euros a night mooring fee which will give you 200 liters of water and so much elec but on top of the mooring fee say for a 12 meter yacht boat you will pay 17 euros port fee . this was being done on several islands and where it was done they all ask what your last port of call was , they where in fact carrying out a survey so they can hopefully implement the port fees .
one island that is at a stalemate is Ios the port police want to start charging boats but the current mayor does not want charges introduced because he feels it will detract from boats calling and spending money but the port police see that to many boaters like the brits and aussies seem to park up for a few weeks here and prevents other boats getting a berth.

But all in all yes you will be hit with variety of new charges next yr
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 07:16   #13
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I will just add this to my planning and pay the tax if needed. I just don't believe that that for me going to the Med and not going to Greece as a desired option.
I agree. Also there is a 30% discount if you are long term, which I am. It's still a lot but I've got to look at what you get also. In Croatia it costs 200 euro for one night on a village quay. In Greece, it's free or less than 25 euro. In Turkey you will have to install a gray water holding tank to cruise there, not so in Greece. The food and drink is substantially less than anywhere else we have been in the Med.
Old 15-11-2013, 07:17   #14

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

this is why it will get thrown out and local charges will apply the hellenic seaways union are outraged and will start causing probs

Bizarre they could expect 400 euros of a 39 foot boat and 1,200 euros of a 40 footer... Madness.
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 07:22   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I agree. Also there is a 30% discount if you are long term, which I am. It's still a lot but I've got to look at what you get also. In Croatia it costs 200 euro for one night on a village quay. In Greece, it's free or less than 25 euro. In Turkey you will have to install a gray water holding tank to cruise there, not so in Greece. The food and drink is substantially less than anywhere else we have been in the Med.
Sounds like the south of France and Monaco will be the new cheap places to cruise... Along with Porto Fino and the Italian riviera...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece, water, yacht