Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 01:31   #511
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifePart2 View Post
The transit log is the same. However, we were specifically told that we only needed to get the stamp every 30 days unless, of course, you are actually tied up at a town quay in which case you are supposed to go and check in and pay your harbour dues.y.
Interesting. This conflicts with the new PP reporting provisions introduced in April - once per year.

So, either Rhodes hasn't caught up with the new rules, or else non-EU boats are being given different PP treatment from EU boats.

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:20   #512
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran

JimB, I believe it is the latter - EU boats are different. The rules are all new and the staff have to keep checking with their bosses to be sure they are doing it right.

My impression was that the new piece of paper, which we hand in when we leave, will probably replace the transit log, but at the moment they are both operative.

BTW, if you do check in with the port police, make sure you also check out again. They get upset if you don't have a checkout-stamp as it may mean you left without paying your bills! It happened to us because Rhodes forgot to stamp us out (they usually do it the same time, if you are staying only one night) so the next place, Milos, had to phone them to check we had paid.

Palarran, we paid 15 euro when we checked in, the same as the previous year. Don't know what exactly that is for though.

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:02   #513
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Lifepart,
Your supposed to pay a tax when you leave Greece on a Transit long also but I haven't heard of many (any?) cruisers actually paying it.

And sorry, I disagree with "Get down here and go cruising before they do actually implement the new tax :-) ". Stay away - doom and gloom - the Greeks are trying to screw you!!
Old 11-05-2014, 06:57   #514
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
In Greece, more commonly known as a "transit log". Given to non-EU boats instead of a DEKPA. Extendable up to 18 months on payments every 3 months.

JimB

No I know that, but that was really nothing to do with TIR

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2014, 15:00   #515

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

This Friday gone (9th May, 2014) a number of boats were being held at the quayside in Preveza because their insurance did not meet the new requirements as stated in the CA's web update.

Owners were busy trying to get their insurance brokers to fax an updated insurance certificate to the port police in order that they could go cruising.

Reportedly the Port Police do not believe that the new tax will be implmented until June at the earliest.
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 18:57   #516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenka View Post
This Friday gone (9th May, 2014) a number of boats were being held at the quayside in Preveza because their insurance did not meet the new requirements as stated in the CA's web update.

Owners were busy trying to get their insurance brokers to fax an updated insurance certificate to the port police in order that they could go cruising.

Reportedly the Port Police do not believe that the new tax will be implmented until June at the earliest.
ohhh great... I just put together a package of documents to send to my father for when he takes my boat out late next week and now I see my insurance document has the old limits. Need to call Pantaenius first thing in the morning.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 18:58   #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenka View Post

Thanks for that info. Of course I checked and don't have high enough limits. Amazing really because I thought they where pretty high. But its and easy problem to solve.

FYI others, here are the requirements:

Insurance Certificates
Insurance certificates should cover the amounts listed below:
Ships of total tonnage smaller than 300 gt are obliged to have insurance for:
i) civil liability for bodily harm or death of the passengers and third parties because of collision, crash, sinking or any other cause. The insurance sum is fixed to fifty
thousand (50.000) euros per passenger and cannot be less than five hundred thousand (500.000) euros per event.

ii) civil liability for material damage of the passengers and third parties because of collision, crash, sinking or any other cause. The insurance sum is fixed to one
hundred and fifty thousand (150.000) euros.

iii) Cause of sea pollution. The insurance sum is fixed to one hundred and fifty thousand (150.000) euros.
b. The insurance contract is drawn up in Greek or English.
The old limits (which is what most policies currently cover) were €300,000 for bodily injury or death, €150,000 for third-party, and €90,000 for sea pollution. You should probably contact your insurers and get an updated insurance document before checking out with the port police (for your one year stamp).
Old 13-05-2014, 03:54   #518

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Thanks for that info. Of course I checked and don't have high enough limits. Amazing really because I thought they where pretty high. But its and easy problem to solve.

FYI others, here are the requirements:

Insurance Certificates
Insurance certificates should cover the amounts listed below:
Ships of total tonnage smaller than 300 gt are obliged to have insurance for:
i) civil liability for bodily harm or death of the passengers and third parties because of collision, crash, sinking or any other cause. The insurance sum is fixed to fifty
thousand (50.000) euros per passenger and cannot be less than five hundred thousand (500.000) euros per event.

ii) civil liability for material damage of the passengers and third parties because of collision, crash, sinking or any other cause. The insurance sum is fixed to one
hundred and fifty thousand (150.000) euros.

iii) Cause of sea pollution. The insurance sum is fixed to one hundred and fifty thousand (150.000) euros.
b. The insurance contract is drawn up in Greek or English.
The old limits (which is what most policies currently cover) were €300,000 for bodily injury or death, €150,000 for third-party, and €90,000 for sea pollution. You should probably contact your insurers and get an updated insurance document before checking out with the port police (for your one year stamp).
Thanks for posting that. I just received my Green card days ago and incredibly the values were the old ones. I am leaving to Italy for sailing to Greece/Turkey and I have phoned them to send the new Green card to the shipyard. That post save me a lot of trouble
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 04:42   #519
Nearly an old salt

This is aimed at European insurers. I've found it difficult to get marine pollution insurance in the past added to my insurance and currently it's not there.

Are new policies available with it commonly available.

Dave
Old 13-05-2014, 06:15   #520

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
This is aimed at European insurers. I've found it difficult to get marine pollution insurance in the past added to my insurance and currently it's not there.

Dave
With mine it is included. I have to say that my insurance agent is the absolute best. I e-mailed him last night and woke this morning with answers and action. He will probably have my coverage increased by tomorrow. Anyone from the States looking for great boat insurance pm me and I'll pass on his contact info.
Old 13-05-2014, 09:16   #521
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Dave
We're currently insured with Norwich Union and will be moving to Y Yacht next month. Both have marine pollution insurance included as standard. One phone call to our broker about the new Greek limits resulted in an amended policy e-mailed to us within the hour.
Old 13-05-2014, 09:56   #522

I called Pantaenius this morning and they immediately emailed me the updated coverage certificate.
Old 13-05-2014, 10:00   #523
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
We're currently insured with Norwich Union and will be moving to Y Yacht next month. Both have marine pollution insurance included as standard. One phone call to our broker about the new Greek limits resulted in an amended policy e-mailed to us within the hour.
Sounds like I need to have a word with my insurers.

dave
Old 13-05-2014, 10:40   #524

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I called Pantaenius this morning and they immediately emailed me the updated coverage certificate.
The same.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 02:43   #525

Boat: between boats

So Palaran your saying you have your transit log back and your back in the water and PP didnt require you to visit the tax office?

so far all transit log boats ive come across that have been in greece more than one quarter have been asked to do so and come back with a receipt or they dont get departure clearance....

how did you do that?

(im due for another 3 month installment but when i found out the last port police office was some 80km from the nearest tax office necessitating hiring a car and losing most of a day I neglected to check in for some reason)
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece, water, yacht