Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 02:31   #511
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK winter, Greece summer
Boat: Charter vessels!
Posts: 314
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifePart2 View Post
The transit log is the same. However, we were specifically told that we only needed to get the stamp every 30 days unless, of course, you are actually tied up at a town quay in which case you are supposed to go and check in and pay your harbour dues.y.
Interesting. This conflicts with the new PP reporting provisions introduced in April - once per year.

So, either Rhodes hasn't caught up with the new rules, or else non-EU boats are being given different PP treatment from EU boats.

JimB
__________________

__________________
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:20   #512
Marine Service Provider
 
LifePart2's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ex Canada - now on the boat
Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran
Posts: 125
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

JimB, I believe it is the latter - EU boats are different. The rules are all new and the staff have to keep checking with their bosses to be sure they are doing it right.

My impression was that the new piece of paper, which we hand in when we leave, will probably replace the transit log, but at the moment they are both operative.

BTW, if you do check in with the port police, make sure you also check out again. They get upset if you don't have a checkout-stamp as it may mean you left without paying your bills! It happened to us because Rhodes forgot to stamp us out (they usually do it the same time, if you are staying only one night) so the next place, Milos, had to phone them to check we had paid.

Palarran, we paid 15 euro when we checked in, the same as the previous year. Don't know what exactly that is for though.
__________________

__________________
Noel Swanson

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:02   #513
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'
 
Palarran's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Me - Michigan / Boat - Tenerife
Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Posts: 2,641
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

Lifepart,
Your supposed to pay a tax when you leave Greece on a Transit long also but I haven't heard of many (any?) cruisers actually paying it.

And sorry, I disagree with "Get down here and go cruising before they do actually implement the new tax :-) ". Stay away - doom and gloom - the Greeks are trying to screw you!!
__________________
Not all who wander are lost

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:57   #514
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
In Greece, more commonly known as a "transit log". Given to non-EU boats instead of a DEKPA. Extendable up to 18 months on payments every 3 months.

JimB

No I know that, but that was really nothing to do with TIR

Dave


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 16:00   #515
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Greece
Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Posts: 163
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

This Friday gone (9th May, 2014) a number of boats were being held at the quayside in Preveza because their insurance did not meet the new requirements as stated in the CA's web update.

Owners were busy trying to get their insurance brokers to fax an updated insurance certificate to the port police in order that they could go cruising.

Reportedly the Port Police do not believe that the new tax will be implmented until June at the earliest.
__________________
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 19:57   #516
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenka View Post
This Friday gone (9th May, 2014) a number of boats were being held at the quayside in Preveza because their insurance did not meet the new requirements as stated in the CA's web update.

Owners were busy trying to get their insurance brokers to fax an updated insurance certificate to the port police in order that they could go cruising.

Reportedly the Port Police do not believe that the new tax will be implmented until June at the earliest.
ohhh great... I just put together a package of documents to send to my father for when he takes my boat out late next week and now I see my insurance document has the old limits. Need to call Pantaenius first thing in the morning.
__________________
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 19:58   #517
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'
 
Palarran's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Me - Michigan / Boat - Tenerife
Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Posts: 2,641
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenka View Post
This Friday gone (9th May, 2014) a number of boats were being held at the quayside in Preveza because their insurance did not meet the new requirements as stated in the CA's web update.

Owners were busy trying to get their insurance brokers to fax an updated insurance certificate to the port police in order that they could go cruising.

Reportedly the Port Police do not believe that the new tax will be implmented until June at the earliest.
Thanks for that info. Of course I checked and don't have high enough limits. Amazing really because I thought they where pretty high. But its and easy problem to solve.

FYI others, here are the requirements:

Insurance Certificates
Insurance certificates should cover the amounts listed below:
Ships of total tonnage smaller than 300 gt are obliged to have insurance for:
i) civil liability for bodily harm or death of the passengers and third parties because of collision, crash, sinking or any other cause. The insurance sum is fixed to fifty
thousand (50.000) euros per passenger and cannot be less than five hundred thousand (500.000) euros per event.

ii) civil liability for material damage of the passengers and third parties because of collision, crash, sinking or any other cause. The insurance sum is fixed to one
hundred and fifty thousand (150.000) euros.

iii) Cause of sea pollution. The insurance sum is fixed to one hundred and fifty thousand (150.000) euros.
b. The insurance contract is drawn up in Greek or English.
The old limits (which is what most policies currently cover) were €300,000 for bodily injury or death, €150,000 for third-party, and €90,000 for sea pollution. You should probably contact your insurers and get an updated insurance document before checking out with the port police (for your one year stamp).
__________________
Not all who wander are lost

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 04:54   #518
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,757
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Thanks for that info. Of course I checked and don't have high enough limits. Amazing really because I thought they where pretty high. But its and easy problem to solve.

FYI others, here are the requirements:

Insurance Certificates
Insurance certificates should cover the amounts listed below:
Ships of total tonnage smaller than 300 gt are obliged to have insurance for:
i) civil liability for bodily harm or death of the passengers and third parties because of collision, crash, sinking or any other cause. The insurance sum is fixed to fifty
thousand (50.000) euros per passenger and cannot be less than five hundred thousand (500.000) euros per event.

ii) civil liability for material damage of the passengers and third parties because of collision, crash, sinking or any other cause. The insurance sum is fixed to one
hundred and fifty thousand (150.000) euros.

iii) Cause of sea pollution. The insurance sum is fixed to one hundred and fifty thousand (150.000) euros.
b. The insurance contract is drawn up in Greek or English.
The old limits (which is what most policies currently cover) were €300,000 for bodily injury or death, €150,000 for third-party, and €90,000 for sea pollution. You should probably contact your insurers and get an updated insurance document before checking out with the port police (for your one year stamp).
Thanks for posting that. I just received my Green card days ago and incredibly the values were the old ones. I am leaving to Italy for sailing to Greece/Turkey and I have phoned them to send the new Green card to the shipyard. That post save me a lot of trouble
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 05:42   #519
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

This is aimed at European insurers. I've found it difficult to get marine pollution insurance in the past added to my insurance and currently it's not there.

Are new policies available with it commonly available.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 07:15   #520
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'
 
Palarran's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Me - Michigan / Boat - Tenerife
Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Posts: 2,641
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
This is aimed at European insurers. I've found it difficult to get marine pollution insurance in the past added to my insurance and currently it's not there.

Are new policies available with it commonly available.

Dave
With mine it is included. I have to say that my insurance agent is the absolute best. I e-mailed him last night and woke this morning with answers and action. He will probably have my coverage increased by tomorrow. Anyone from the States looking for great boat insurance pm me and I'll pass on his contact info.
__________________
Not all who wander are lost

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 10:16   #521
Marine Service Provider
 
NornaBiron's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greece
Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
Posts: 644
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
This is aimed at European insurers. I've found it difficult to get marine pollution insurance in the past added to my insurance and currently it's not there.

Are new policies available with it commonly available.

Dave
We're currently insured with Norwich Union and will be moving to Y Yacht next month. Both have marine pollution insurance included as standard. One phone call to our broker about the new Greek limits resulted in an amended policy e-mailed to us within the hour.
__________________
Sail repairs by cruisers for cruisers
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 10:56   #522
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

I called Pantaenius this morning and they immediately emailed me the updated coverage certificate.
__________________
S/Y Jessabbé http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 11:00   #523
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
We're currently insured with Norwich Union and will be moving to Y Yacht next month. Both have marine pollution insurance included as standard. One phone call to our broker about the new Greek limits resulted in an amended policy e-mailed to us within the hour.
Sounds like I need to have a word with my insurers.


dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 11:40   #524
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,757
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I called Pantaenius this morning and they immediately emailed me the updated coverage certificate.
The same.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 03:43   #525
Registered User
 
Barra's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western Australia
Boat: between boats
Posts: 808
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

So Palaran your saying you have your transit log back and your back in the water and PP didnt require you to visit the tax office?

so far all transit log boats ive come across that have been in greece more than one quarter have been asked to do so and come back with a receipt or they dont get departure clearance....

how did you do that?

(im due for another 3 month installment but when i found out the last port police office was some 80km from the nearest tax office necessitating hiring a car and losing most of a day I neglected to check in for some reason)
__________________

__________________
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Greece, water, yacht

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thrane and Thrane Fishery Capsat steve.garlick Marine Electronics 10 20-07-2017 10:26
One More Question About Personal Property Tax capcook Dollars & Cents 27 25-04-2012 13:26



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:04.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.