Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2014, 16:01   #361

Boat: between boats
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

yeah im just kidding mate - makes little diff to me as a non eu boat actually - but im certainly not thinking this delay will save me money - quite the opposite as ive posted re the penalties etc
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 16:03   #362

Boat: between boats

correction makes little diff to me as a LONG TERM non eu boat. does make a big diff to shorter stay (say just the summer) non EU's
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 12:29   #363

Boat: Fortune 30

Does anyone know if this new tax law will be enforced in Cyprus? I know Cyprus is part of Greece but there can be differing rules.

It would definetly impact on the number of Israeli boats sailing to Cyprus this year. Its a popular destination for sailors who only have a week for a sailing vacation and I can't see anyone being willing to pay an extra 1200. (I'm talking about privately owned sailboats not charter boats).

Manny
Yofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 12:39   #364
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yofy View Post
Does anyone know if this new tax law will be enforced in Cyprus? I know Cyprus is part of Greece but there can be differing rules.

It would definetly impact on the number of Israeli boats sailing to Cyprus this year. Its a popular destination for sailors who only have a week for a sailing vacation and I can't see anyone being willing to pay an extra 1200. (I'm talking about privately owned sailboats not charter boats).

Manny
cyprus is about as much part of greece as israel is a british protectorate!

though both israel and cyprus were both british colonys in the past,cyprus has never been part of greece!,though they speak the same language.

so no worries there
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 12:40   #365
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yofy View Post

Manny
Cyprus is not part of Greece, it is an independent country made up of four parts: The Republic of Cyprus in the south, Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, a 'buffer' zone between the two areas and British Sovereign Base Areas. Greek laws do not apply there.
Old 16-01-2014, 12:41   #366
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
cyprus is about as much part of greece as israel is a british protectorate!

though both israel and cyprus were both british colonys in the past,cyprus has never been part of greece!,though they speak the same language.

so no worries there
You beat me to it, by seconds!
Old 16-01-2014, 12:48   #367
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
You beat me to it, by seconds!
having lived in cyprus for a while was going to answer as a cypriot would to that assumption........think it goes like this...."pusti mallacka you greek we are cypriots!".........................
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 13:12   #368
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
having lived in cyprus for a while was going to answer as a cypriot would to that assumption........think it goes like this...."pusti mallacka you greek we are cypriots!".........................
Lol! You'd have to put it in capitals so that we would all know that you were shouting!
Old 18-01-2014, 02:53   #369

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht
NOW IT'S BACKDATED!

Just seen the latest revision of the Cruising Association page on the new Greek circulation tax and was alarmed to see the new addition that there is 'no rebate for periods spent on the hard'. This seems to mean that skippers like me arriving back at their laid up (on the hard) boats in May have five months backdated tax to pay! I thought at worst it would cost me one month's tax (I'm 12.98 metres); now it looks like I'll be required to shell out €650 for the privilege of exiting Greek waters!

Worse still, if they appoint marinas and boatyards as 'agents' for the collection of the tax, in addition to port police and tax offices (in the way they've made marinas in Croatia responsible for checking for payment of VAT), there'll be no escape, even if one exits Greek waters immediately on arrival.
Old 18-01-2014, 03:04   #370

How do you figure 6 months back taxes? Thought this was an annual tax? Wouldn't that mean that you owe the full years tax??
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 04:22   #371

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
How do you figure 6 months back taxes? Thought this was an annual tax? Wouldn't that mean that you owe the full years tax??
No. We're over 12 metres, which means we have the option of paying by the month.

Anyway, it appears that I was alarming everyone unnecessarily, since I now understand that the 'non rebate' for months spent on the hard only applies if you've already paid the annual tax, not if you're paying by the month, in which case you just stop paying when you lift out (source: Cruising Association). However, I guess if you've wintered in the water you may well have back taxes to pay.

As a codicil, I've just received the email below from our marina in Preveza:

Cleopatra marina as member of Greek Marinas Association and Mr. Tefas owner and member of the Board of Greek Marinas Association (www.greek-marinas.gr) wish to inform you that, according to latest update, the new Tax applies only when a boat is afloat/moored, not on dry docking.

To give you an idea about the charges, a 12m boat for a period of 3 months afloat, will pay 300,00euro. The exact articles of the Tax have not been announced yet.

We will inform you with any update.
Old 18-01-2014, 04:34   #372

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

This just in this morning (18.1.14)

"Cleopatra marina as member of Greek Marinas Association and Mr. Tefas owner and member of the Board of Greek Marinas Association (www.greek-marinas.gr) wish to inform you that, according to latest update, the new Tax applies only when a boat is afloat/moored, not on dry docking.
To give you an idea about the charges, a 12m boat for a period of 3 months afloat, will pay 300,00euro.
The exact articles of the Tax have not been announced yet".

I will try to get this confirmed by my contact in Athens.
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 05:32   #373

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

the above still does not make sense to me but then i am not a greek --
but if i had a 11.9m boat i would try to make it 12m -- therefore i would have to pay only 100eu instead of 400eu to sail for a month
now maybe this is greek logic but i simply don't get it - big boats pay less than small boats
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 05:45   #374

Boat: LM 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
but if i had a 11.9m boat i would try to make it 12m
Time to add that bowsprit...
madsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 05:49   #375
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenka View Post
This just in this morning (18.1.14)

"Cleopatra marina as member of Greek Marinas Association and Mr. Tefas owner and member of the Board of Greek Marinas Association (www.greek-marinas.gr) wish to inform you that, according to latest update, the new Tax applies only when a boat is afloat/moored, not on dry docking.
To give you an idea about the charges, a 12m boat for a period of 3 months afloat, will pay 300,00euro.
The exact articles of the Tax have not been announced yet".

I will try to get this confirmed by my contact in Athens.
That's really good news. Especially for marinas that have large amounts of land and haul out capacity. Hopefully it doesn't mean that the price for a haul out is going up substantially.

An interesting twist in my thinking is that if I'm paying for a year anyway, I may skip going to Turkey for the 3 weeks I'd planned this summer. I also got an e-mail from Milta Bodrum Marina that they are fully enforcing the gray water blue card collection system. I'd cost too much money and time to modify my boat to collect the gray water.

Tags
Greece, water, yacht