Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2017, 02:40   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Greek Tax coming?

Just saw this

https://www.theca.org.uk/news/greek_tax_update_nov_2017

So if I read this correctly if you are 12m or under you pay about 3eu per day but if you are over 12m you pay 8eu per day

We are 40' so 12.1m - we have already sailed most of Greece thankfully - We will not be going back period.

Is Greece trying to kill what business they have started to develop - If Turkey can get it's act together they can get all the businsess back that they lost to Greece over the past couple of years.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 03:31   #2
cruiser

Re: Greek Tax coming?

I'm not going to let a 360 euro tax over a three month period (120 euros per month) keep us from cruising Greece. If it's a problem for some, maybe they need to re-evaluate their cruising/live style/finance choices.

That's less than the cost of one beer in a cafe in America per day. Maybe we should be looking at the high cost of American booze taxes instead, which make cruising in the US much higher than Greece.

Cruising Greece or Croatia is a bargain compared to America even with the cruising tax.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 04:10   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

In the Seychelles you pay 3.45 euro/day, I just accept it, then again I'm only one of two cruising boats here!
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 04:19   #4

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Wait and see what happens, they been talking about boat taxes for years and nothing has happened. Think it was even in the Greek budget one year but still no tax.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 04:33   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

I'm not a lawyer but I can imagine a tax like that would be an infringement of the freedom of movement of EU citixens within the EU.
Then again, all Greece ever did in the EU was to suck all the money they possibly could and get away with it.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 04:55   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'm not going to let a 360 euro tax over a three month period (120 euros per month) keep us from cruising Greece. If it's a problem for some, maybe they need to re-evaluate their cruising/live style/finance choices.

That's less than the cost of one beer in a cafe in America per day. Maybe we should be looking at the high cost of American booze taxes instead, which make cruising in the US much higher than Greece.

Cruising Greece or Croatia is a bargain compared to America even with the cruising tax.
I could not agree with you more Ken. Every time this tax issue comes up there's a bunch of squawking from cruisers who threaten to leave. After 5 seasons, I have but not because of the tax, it was just time. Greece is so inexpensive to cruise compared to anywhere I've been, to pay 360 euro for the privilege to be there is an absolute bargain. When I was there I always wished they did increase the tax so the freeloaders would leave so there was more room at the village keys.

And, as an FYI, my first year in Greece was taxed at 1000 euro per year for a foreign flagged boat. So really they are just going back to what they used to charge.
Old 18-11-2017, 04:59   #7

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

Where is Odysseus when you need him?
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 22:13   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I could not agree with you more Ken. Every time this tax issue comes up there's a bunch of squawking from cruisers who threaten to leave. After 5 seasons, I have but not because of the tax, it was just time. Greece is so inexpensive to cruise compared to anywhere I've been, to pay 360 euro for the privilege to be there is an absolute bargain. When I was there I always wished they did increase the tax so the freeloaders would leave so there was more room at the village keys.

And, as an FYI, my first year in Greece was taxed at 1000 euro per year for a foreign flagged boat. So really they are just going back to what they used to charge.
Not sure when you last cruised there but we just finished 3 months there and IT IS NOT INEXPENSIVE compared to where we have been - the 24%vat on everything is a killer - glad we are in Turkey where we can live reasonably
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 23:05   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Just saw this

https://www.theca.org.uk/news/greek_tax_update_nov_2017

So if I read this correctly if you are 12m or under you pay about 3eu per day but if you are over 12m you pay 8eu per day

We are 40' so 12.1m - we have already sailed most of Greece thankfully - We will not be going back period.

Is Greece trying to kill what business they have started to develop - If Turkey can get it's act together they can get all the businsess back that they lost to Greece over the past couple of years.
Kind of a confusing article. It refers to costs per day and then uses a chart that shows it to be a cost per month. Is a 12m boat charged 3euros per day or 3euros per month per meter?
Old 19-11-2017, 00:08   #10

Boat: S&S Bluebird 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
When I was there I always wished they did increase the tax so the freeloaders would leave so there was more room at the village keys.
Yeah, keep increasing the taxes all over the place, and after a while all you will meet are your own good acquintances - with the freeloaders and other insignificant folks gone.

We will be cruising on a small budget and that kind of tax would prevent us from going, period. But at least we wouldn't be obstructing anyone's view of the town key. We'll have to take comfort in that.
South Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 00:40   #11
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

IMO if there is going to be a tax it should be per person and not by the size of your boat.
Quite a lot of difference between a charter boat with ten people on it and a couple cruising in retirement.
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 03:04   #12
cruiser

Then maybe, just maybe... the couple cruising in retirement or early retiree on a small budget should save up some more money before setting out or continue working along the way.

Like we do... Instead of complaining.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 03:27   #13

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Last time the boat tax was proposed the idea was that boats less than 12 meters would pay for a year on arrival or launching while bigger boats could pay per month.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 03:41   #14
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Then maybe, just maybe... the couple cruising in retirement or early retiree on a small budget should save up some more money before setting out or continue working along the way.

That sounds.... just like you are complaining.......
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 04:46   #15
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Not sure when you last cruised there but we just finished 3 months there and IT IS NOT INEXPENSIVE compared to where we have been - the 24%vat on everything is a killer - glad we are in Turkey where we can live reasonably
This year. And I have to totally disagree with you Chuck. You can stay at a village quay for free half the time and for around 20 euro the other half. Many of the quays now have power, which is extra, like 5 euro. A full lunch can be from 3 to 8 euro and dinner from 8 to 12. That is about 50% less than where we went in Malta (150 euro per night) Licata 100 euro, and on and on all the way to the Canaries.

Quote:

It's hard to believe Ken, but I totally agree with you again. I'm back home now - working. But next week I can leave for another 6 weeks :-)

I will never understand the complaint about this tax. While I'm no longer in Greece, I hope they implement it and good riddance to those who don't value what they have there.