Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2013, 02:37   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Greece
Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Posts: 163
Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card

Can anyone recommend a good deal for a 'Pay as You Go' data sim card for Greece.

My intention is to install a mobile Wifi hub for internet use and then use 'Viber' for telephone calls.

I don't really want to pay for telephone minutes as I will never use them.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 02:44   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Port Welshpool Australia
Boat: sold swan new cat under construction / Canados 50s
Posts: 755
Images: 16
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card

I use the vodafone package you can get a wifi transmitter thing ma jig its about half the size of a blackberry phone and can connect up to five devices to it it costs about 40 euros a month for I think up to 4 gb of data i used it every day for internet and used it to connect to skype to make phone calls
__________________

__________________
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 02:50   #3
Registered User
 
miyagimoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Any Where there is Blue Water
Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Posts: 78
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon
Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenka View Post
Can anyone recommend a good deal for a 'Pay as You Go' data sim card for Greece.

My intention is to install a mobile Wifi hub for internet use and then use 'Viber' for telephone calls.

I don't really want to pay for telephone minutes as I will never use them.

Thanks
We use Cosmote. The best coverage comes from Cosmote followed probably by Vodafone then Wind.

You will need to purchase a USB WIFI Dongle about 30 Euro, Cosmote will charge 20 euro for 5GB (30 days) or 15 Euro for 2GB, Pay as you Go.

We do similar but use skype for telephone calls.
__________________
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 02:52   #4
Registered User
 
miyagimoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Any Where there is Blue Water
Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Posts: 78
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon
Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
I use the vodafone package you can get a wifi transmitter thing ma jig its about half the size of a blackberry phone and can connect up to five devices to it it costs about 40 euros a month for I think up to 4 gb of data i used it every day for internet and used it to connect to skype to make phone calls
Hi Dale,

How you doing. Send me a PM I'll update you on what everyone is up to.

Albert
__________________
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 03:04   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Port Welshpool Australia
Boat: sold swan new cat under construction / Canados 50s
Posts: 755
Images: 16
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card

ok fat albert i am now ok sought of have lost part use of right arm at moment
__________________
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 03:12   #6
Registered User
 
PhilDuhs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Me=Dubai, Boat=Cyprus
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 54
Posts: 63
Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card

If you can have multiple people on a PM add me to the conversation - would love to catch up on what's been going on. Phil.
__________________
PhilDuhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 03:23   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Corsica (France)
Boat: Bavaria 37
Posts: 239
Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card

You do not need to buy a dongle !
With COMSMOTE, you buy only the prepaid SIM card (the one for data only) and then, on your smartphone or tablet, you can activate "connection sharing" and it will work (wifi) with 4 other items...
We did it last spring, no problem, 2 or 5 Go, and something like 20 € a month
__________________
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 03:28   #8
Registered User
 
PhilDuhs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Me=Dubai, Boat=Cyprus
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 54
Posts: 63
Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card

I do the same Jacques2 with Vodafone - means you need a spare phone though, or be willing to give up your "home" SIM card while the phone's being used with the Greek one. Some USB dongles work with multiple countries SIM cards so would be worth testing what you have already before paying for a new dongle. Another reason Vodafone is good - they're in multiple countries and one dongle will serve multiple SIM's as you travel around...
__________________
PhilDuhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 03:36   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Corsica (France)
Boat: Bavaria 37
Posts: 239
Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card

OK, it depends on the use you have. As i am concerned, I put the Cosmote SIM card in my iPad, so I can still use my iPhone for phoing function (without removing my SFR - french - Sim card inside) if necessary... When in Italy I buy a Vodaphone SIM card for the iPad, and so on...
__________________
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 09:09   #10
Registered User
 
miyagimoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Any Where there is Blue Water
Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Posts: 78
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon
Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques2 View Post
You do not need to buy a dongle !
With COMSMOTE, you buy only the prepaid SIM card (the one for data only) and then, on your smartphone or tablet, you can activate "connection sharing" and it will work (wifi) with 4 other items...
We did it last spring, no problem, 2 or 5 Go, and something like 20 € a month
What happens if you are not an up to date trendy sailor and do not own a smart phone of tablet? Dongle me thinks!!
__________________
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 14:23   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Corsica (France)
Boat: Bavaria 37
Posts: 239
Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card

What is the use of a SIM data card if you have no smartphone or tablet ?
__________________
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 15:18   #12
Registered User
 
miyagimoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Any Where there is Blue Water
Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Posts: 78
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon
Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques2 View Post
What is the use of a SIM data card if you have no smartphone or tablet ?
I'm not a telecoms expert and may be wrong. But I do believe that you need a Sim card to use in either a usb 3g / 4g dongle or a smartphone / tablet. The OP did not specify what it was to be used in.

I may be wrong but I also believe that a DATA Sim Card and a Sim Card are the same thing.
__________________
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 15:48   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Greece
Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Posts: 163
Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Just to clarify…

I'm going to be using one of those stand alone hub thingies so that more than one person can access the internet and I don't want to be swapping sims in my phone. The cost is minimal for the device.

I use around 400megs of data a month and as I only spend around 8 weeks on the boat a monthly contract is a bit of overkill so 'pay as you go' works for me at €15 for 2Gb.

I asked the question because I was told that data only sims are not really that popular in some countries and not easy to come by. I don't want a standard sim that gives 100 mins of talk time, 500 SMS messages and just 250 megs of data
because i would be paying for elemens that would never get used.

Thanks again
__________________
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 17:46   #14
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenka View Post
Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Just to clarify…

I'm going to be using one of those stand alone hub thingies so that more than one person can access the internet and I don't want to be swapping sims in my phone. The cost is minimal for the device.

I use around 400megs of data a month and as I only spend around 8 weeks on the boat a monthly contract is a bit of overkill so 'pay as you go' works for me at €15 for 2Gb.

I asked the question because I was told that data only sims are not really that popular in some countries and not easy to come by. I don't want a standard sim that gives 100 mins of talk time, 500 SMS messages and just 250 megs of data
because i would be paying for elemens that would never get used.

Thanks again
Why do you think standard sims give that setup. It varies all over the place.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 17:50   #15
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyagimoon View Post

I'm not a telecoms expert and may be wrong. But I do believe that you need a Sim card to use in either a usb 3g / 4g dongle or a smartphone / tablet. The OP did not specify what it was to be used in.

I may be wrong but I also believe that a DATA Sim Card and a Sim Card are the same thing.
Technically there is no difference , but SIM cards can be provisioned to have voice 2G 3G or other selectable combinations. However some " data cards " Are provisioned for voice. Also data cards tend to be provisioned to prioritise 3G , wherease voice cards may not. Depends on the operators priority.

Note many providers will tell you you have to have data SIM cards in tablets. Generally not true.

Dave
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:45.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.