Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 15:38   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2
Greek Islands heavy fines for IONIAN Yachtsmen

Our boat recently anchored off a beach for lunch much more than 200 meters from the shore.

Subsequently the Lefkas Police found us and said that a law had been bought in on August the 1st ....It was August the 1st that we had been reported by bathers and boats mooring 200 meters for the beach would be fined 500. We were told to report to Lefkas police station the next day made to wait for four hours and told to report again in four days then we were fined 150 for a first offence. There were no swimming bouys or any bouys marking the beach and we were a subjective 200m distance from the beach. The law had not been published or promoted . BTW the boat is a 32ft Beneteau so its not some leviathan. Finally we were told this only applies to 6 beaches in the ionian but not which beaches it applies to.

Be Aware
__________________

__________________
the_wafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 15:51   #2
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,198
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Greek Islands heavy fines for IONIAN Yachtsmen

Someone's compensating for his wage cut...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 16:14   #3
Registered User
 
simonmd's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sant Carles, S Spain
Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Posts: 876
Re: Greek Islands heavy fines for IONIAN Yachtsmen

Crazy, as Boatman said, another short sighted and desperate way to raise funds from 'easy' targets, with no thought for the damage the will do to future passing trade that will go elsewhere instead.
__________________
Previous owner of a 1994 Catalac 900, now sadly SOLD
simonmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 16:22   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Greek Islands heavy fines for IONIAN Yachtsmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wafu View Post

(...)
Well, if you are German, then I can understand their attitude after you lent them some 100 billion EUR to their govt to pay their salaries. Only a dog does not bite the feeding hand. (Well, I know one that DOES!)

If you are not, then I am afraid they took you for Germans.

Seriously though, the same sad scenario visible elsewhere in the Med. I heard similar stories from the Balearics, Canarias, etc.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 18:02   #5
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Its a fine for anchoring within the new beach zones. Its not a tax. Your all talking rubbish. There is an EU initiative to set standards for boating areas close to beaches or bathing areas.

Stop linking everything to macro economics , especially what you read from ' red tops' , sheesh.


Ps its a fiat currency , the Germans didn't actually lend anything to anybody. Read up on money supply !

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 18:15   #6
Registered User
 
Teknav's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas - USA
Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Posts: 1,838
Re: Greek Islands heavy fines for IONIAN Yachtsmen

Hiya Boating! I'm sending you a gallon of ice cream; choc choc chip, my favorite flavor. I don't let anything, on here, get me excited. Some folks just like to argue, just for the sake of arguing. It's important to realize when your chains are being yanked. Lotsa people, should be on Valium/Librium to calm them down. Enjoy a double scoop, with my compliments!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
__________________
Retired - Don't Ask Me To Do A Damn Thing!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 18:25   #7
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,198
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Greek Islands heavy fines for IONIAN Yachtsmen

Teknav... I'm on my fortnight off... Dave has the 'Grumpy' shift till I 'get back'...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 18:34   #8
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Teknav... I'm on my fortnight off... Dave has the 'Grumpy' shift till I 'get back'...
I'm back from my fortnight sailing, you wonder why I'm grumpy !

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 18:38   #9
Registered User
 
Teknav's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas - USA
Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Posts: 1,838
Re: Greek Islands heavy fines for IONIAN Yachtsmen

Safe travels, Boatie!

Mauritz
__________________
Retired - Don't Ask Me To Do A Damn Thing!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 18:51   #10
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,198
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Greek Islands heavy fines for IONIAN Yachtsmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Safe travels, Boatie!

Mauritz
Actually I'm kinda nervous... its a 600Km coach ride down to the Algarve...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 02:52   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: liveaboard
Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Posts: 392
Wink Re: Greek Islands heavy fines for IONIAN Yachtsmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wafu View Post
Our boat recently anchored off a beach for lunch much more than 200 meters from the shore.

Subsequently the Lefkas Police found us and said that a law had been bought in on August the 1st ....It was August the 1st that we had been reported by bathers and boats mooring 200 meters for the beach would be fined 500. We were told to report to Lefkas police station the next day made to wait for four hours and told to report again in four days then we were fined 150 for a first offence. There were no swimming bouys or any bouys marking the beach and we were a subjective 200m distance from the beach. The law had not been published or promoted . BTW the boat is a 32ft Beneteau so its not some leviathan. Finally we were told this only applies to 6 beaches in the ionian but not which beaches it applies to.

Be Aware

Call me supicious but I suspect that YOU were lot closer than stated OR you upset them?

Peter
__________________
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 03:10   #12
Registered User
 
CarinaPDX's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Posts: 1,673
Re: Greek Islands heavy fines for IONIAN Yachtsmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Ps its a fiat currency , the Germans didn't actually lend anything to anybody. Read up on money supply !
Actually, the fact that German banks were some of the largest holders of Greek sovereign debt probably does qualify as a loan. Just sayin'

Greg
__________________
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 03:32   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivonia View Post

Call me supicious but I suspect that YOU were lot closer than stated OR you upset them?

Peter
Haha nice one Peter your a card ! but as an ex Winchman on SAR Helicopters I'm a pretty good judge of distance to talk the pilot over a pitching yacht . We did not annoy anyone and now 150 euros lighter it's just a warning to others that this nonsense is going on ..., BTW you don't work for the Greek government do you?
__________________
the_wafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 03:48   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: liveaboard
Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Posts: 392
Smile Re: Greek Islands heavy fines for IONIAN Yachtsmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wafu View Post
Haha nice one Peter your a card ! but as an ex Winchman on SAR Helicopters I'm a pretty good judge of distance to talk the pilot over a pitching yacht . We did not annoy anyone and now 150 euros lighter it's just a warning to others that this nonsense is going on ..., BTW you don't work for the Greek government do you?
Ha Ha No I am fully retired an old miserable sod, who enjoys life to it's full.

have a good one

Peter
__________________

__________________
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
greek islands, ionian, men, yacht

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:21.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.