Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2013, 23:16   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Greek Government To Introduce A Fine To Cruise Greece?

Searching for ways to prop up a failed economy the Greek Government plan on penalising cruisers for visiting their country.

Last year we spent over 15,000 Euros in Greece slipping/maintenence/food and drink now we learn we will have to now pay in excess of 400 Euros to visit again.

Who dreams up these dumb ideas of penalising cruisers who fork out cash in every town they go?

Will a similar 'Arrival Tax' be implemented as well at the airports?

Stupid is as stupid does…..

Yachts cruising in Greece face up to €400 annual tax | Pbo
__________________

__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 23:40   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,927
Re: Greek Government To Introduce A Fine To Cruise Greece?

Makes even less sense to those of us that can only stay 3 months.
__________________

__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 23:49   #3
Registered User
 
Stuarth44's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 147
Images: 3
Send a message via Skype™ to Stuarth44
Re: Greek Government To Introduce A Fine To Cruise Greece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Searching for ways to prop up a failed economy the Greek Government plan on penalising cruisers for visiting their country.

Last year we spent over 15,000 Euros in Greece slipping/maintenence/food and drink now we learn we will have to now pay in excess of 400 Euros to visit again.

Who dreams up these dumb ideas of penalising cruisers who fork out cash in every town they go?

Will a similar 'Arrival Tax' be implemented as well at the airports?

Stupid is as stupid does…..

Yachts cruising in Greece face up to €400 annual tax | Pbo
I cruised Gr, in a --motor home
I even thought abt starting my company there, until I learned , you pay, bribes
The rubbish dumped on the land, place does nothing for me
For me now after a life sailing, I,ll stick to the Euro rivers
Sorry to hear this (stupid) news, now watch people object, by staying away
Its like Tr, they open a new Marina and then think they can charge an arm, a leg, for berthage
So it stays empty
__________________
Stuarth44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 02:03   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: Greek Government To Introduce A Fine To Cruise Greece?

Just makes you wonder why a country that has such obvious problems would want to shoot themselves in the foot the very foot they need to walk on.

National pastime of the Greek people is avoiding paying taxes so instead of getting rid of the corruption that allows this they fine cruisers bringing in USD AUD POUNDS & EURO.

Every restaurant puts a bill in a small bottle on the table you sit at so if raided by the officials theres evidence of a charge for the food or drink BUT when you go to pay it's a different handwritten bill you are given. Dumb as dogs-hit!

Get your own people working, collect your taxes, give the population value for money and build your tourism so the restaurants/hotels/tours are full and paying there way.

Staying for 90 days and being fined 400 Euro's has whiskers on it…...
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 04:18   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Corsica (France)
Boat: Bavaria 37
Posts: 239
Re: Greek Government To Introduce A Fine To Cruise Greece?

What is written at the end of the only document we have :
"A final decision on the proposed tax is due to be made in the Greek parliament by the end of November".
It looks like the best thing to to do is to wait for the end of the month, isn't it ?
__________________
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 19:15   #6
Registered User
 
Barra's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western Australia
Boat: between boats
Posts: 808
Re: Greek Government To Introduce A Fine To Cruise Greece?

Frank

Dont remember you being so fired up about the cruising taxes in Croatia when you were there mate! (the so called sojourn tax to make up for the fact we brought our own bed in our boat instead of pay for a hotel was the stupidest yet IMHO)

We are wintering in Greece and I think we will wind up about the same as current laws being a non EU boat but wait to see the details I guess as some reports are 400 euro for 12 m and 1200 euro for 12.01m. Surely they cant be that dumb? (Montenegro was though from memory with a step change at 12m i think)

Agree its a stupid tax dont get me wrong but at least under this rule the EU and non EU boats that stay more than 3 months get treated the same.

What did you end up paying in Turkey for a haul out in the end?
__________________
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 22:08   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: Greek Government To Introduce A Fine To Cruise Greece?

Maybe this is their way out of getting funds from the myriad of English yachts based there where they are visited by the poms when the weather is foul at home?

140Euro's will be the go for us as we transit our way through.

Today i get the bill for haul out and store, it happens tomorrow busy busy busy...
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 22:09   #8
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Searching for ways to prop up a failed economy the Greek Government plan on penalising cruisers for visiting their country.

Last year we spent over 15,000 Euros in Greece slipping/maintenence/food and drink now we learn we will have to now pay in excess of 400 Euros to visit again.

Who dreams up these dumb ideas of penalising cruisers who fork out cash in every town they go?

Will a similar 'Arrival Tax' be implemented as well at the airports?

Stupid is as stupid does…..

Yachts cruising in Greece face up to €400 annual tax | Pbo
I think in fairness frank , the target is not cruisers , but the Greek and other wealthy owners who keep there boats there all the time. Cruisers are just getting caught in the net.

The Greek finance officials know that just like in Italy there are loads of boats bought with undeclared income, this is a way of hitting them in the pocket. It's a wealth tax , not a tourist tax.

The 90 days of course is the maximum tourist stay allowed , so that's why that's used as a cutoff.


Some allowance should be made for bonafide cruisers , but how do you differentiate.
Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 22:15   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: Greek Government To Introduce A Fine To Cruise Greece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Searching for ways to prop up a failed economy the Greek Government plan on penalising cruisers for visiting their country.

Last year we spent over 15,000 Euros in Greece slipping/maintenence/food and drink now we learn we will have to now pay in excess of 400 Euros to visit again.

Who dreams up these dumb ideas of penalising cruisers who fork out cash in every town they go?

Will a similar 'Arrival Tax' be implemented as well at the airports?

Stupid is as stupid does…..

Yachts cruising in Greece face up to €400 annual tax | Pbo
If you spent 15,000 euro in Greece, then what's another 400?

The problem is with all those who evade taxes in Greece. I certainly don't advocate taxes on cruisers, but they need to collect somehow.

Would I pay a premium to cruise in Greece or Italy vs other European locales? Probably.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 23:22   #10
Registered User
 
Barra's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western Australia
Boat: between boats
Posts: 808
Re: Greek Government To Introduce A Fine To Cruise Greece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I think in fairness frank , the target is not cruisers , but the Greek and other wealthy owners who keep there boats there all the time. Cruisers are just getting caught in the net.

The Greek finance officials know that just like in Italy there are loads of boats bought with undeclared income, this is a way of hitting them in the pocket. It's a wealth tax , not a tourist tax.

The 90 days of course is the maximum tourist stay allowed , so that's why that's used as a cutoff.


Some allowance should be made for bonafide cruisers , but how do you differentiate.
Dave
Spot on. Greece = a poor country full of rich people not paying taxes.

Cart before the horse solution though. Instead they should do an audit of declared income on all greeks that own boats boats over 12m - that would turn up some revenue - "so how did you buy this 1 million euro gin palace yet only declare a taxable income of 10,000 euro in the past 5 years???? "

It would be funny except for the human tragedy of 20% plus youth unemployment etc etc
__________________
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 23:35   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: Greek Government To Introduce A Fine To Cruise Greece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Spot on. Greece = a poor country full of rich people not paying taxes.

Cart before the horse solution though. Instead they should do an audit of declared income on all greeks that own boats boats over 12m - that would turn up some revenue - "so how did you buy this 1 million euro gin palace yet only declare a taxable income of 10,000 euro in the past 5 years???? "

It would be funny except for the human tragedy of 20% plus youth unemployment etc etc
As in Turkey a hell of a lot are registered in DELAWARE by a corporation, searches then reveal nothing about ownership.

This tax is a fine on visiting boats caught in the web, it will crucify existing charter boat companies investors. Sailing Holidays etc….

Greeks are lazy compared to their neighbours, rubbish litters the streets and they walk out and throw more on. The islands are much better where the locals have pride in their environment.
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 03:59   #12
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Greek Government To Introduce A Fine To Cruise Greece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Greeks are lazy compared to their neighbours, rubbish litters the streets and they walk out and throw more on. The islands are much better where the locals have pride in their environment.
Looks like you won't miss not going then .

You spent EUR15k in Greece? whoopy do . The average Greek spends more than that - pays the same consumption taxes you do and gets a tax bill (at least of some sort ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 04:02   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: Greek Government To Introduce A Fine To Cruise Greece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Looks like you won't miss not going then .

You spent EUR15k in Greece? whoopy do . The average Greek spends more than that - pays the same consumption taxes you do and gets a tax bill (at least of some sort ).
David all cruisers spend similar on repairs etc etc Greece is shooting its self in the foot by fining people who want to visit. Turkey is a way better option and cheaper by far with much better service Whoopty doo and all.
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 04:05   #14
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post

Spot on. Greece = a poor country full of rich people not paying taxes.

Cart before the horse solution though. Instead they should do an audit of declared income on all greeks that own boats boats over 12m - that would turn up some revenue - "so how did you buy this 1 million euro gin palace yet only declare a taxable income of 10,000 euro in the past 5 years???? "

It would be funny except for the human tragedy of 20% plus youth unemployment etc etc
I suspect in time Greece will get around to doing just that , but such information is difficult to access and requires detailed tax audits. In the meantime far easier to slap a wealth tax on the boats in the marina and extract some of that missing tax.

The fact that bonefide people like frank get caught up in it ,is unfortunate , but unlikely to concern the tax authorities who are busily frying bigger fish

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 04:39   #15
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Greek Government To Introduce A Fine To Cruise Greece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
David all cruisers spend similar on repairs etc etc Greece is shooting its self in the foot by fining people who want to visit. Turkey is a way better option and cheaper by far with much better service Whoopty doo and all.
You staying in Turkey sounds like it would be best for all concerned .
__________________

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Greece, cruise, men, government

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:31.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.