Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2018, 04:03   #31

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch
Re: Greece Update

Sailed 2 weeks ago for 10 days in the small Cyclades and Dodekanese. Saw altogether 4 other boats, 3 of them in Patmos. Off-season the crowds disappear completely.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 09:31   #32

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Hi Guys.
I don't often post here but I will try and keep this forum up to date with what is happening.

Today we filed our document on the tax with the authorities. The Swedes are filing the same document and working in harmony with us. Technically its not a tax -its a duty or something - but who cares about words.

This sets out to raise all the issues in different areas - from Registering to payment to the monthly operation to inappropriate fines. If you want a copy - you will have to join the CA! But seriously - the organisation is worth it with so much in the way of very up to date Cruising information on Captains Mate App.

So who is going to run the odds that this time the law will actually be turned on? My bet is that if they design this system on a "Handraulic" basis, it will involve the Port Police too much, and they will refuse to get involved - thats what happened last time.

Where we stand now, it has the basics of being a proper E-system, and if they follow our comments in implementing it, then they will be successful. Oh dear, I hear you cry...... why cant the CA advise them to make a cockup? Well cockups = fines and rather large ones.

Its early days and we shall see what we get. We will be blunt and talk about the unacceptability of fining innocent people - I hope they take it to heart.
Chris Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 10:04   #33

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Thank you for helping Chris.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:20   #34

Whoever may be thinking of leaving Greek waters because of this new taxation should NOT (!!) consider Croatia as their new cruising ground.
Cruising permit prices in CRO are relatively reasonable, but all other costs are outrageous.
The tourist tax for boats up to 10 meters LOA is 770€/yr for 2018 which is 2.6 times higher than the new Greek tax. It is supposedly being reduced in 2019 due to strong protests from the nautical community. But it will still be 30% higher than the Greek tax (400€ for 10 m vs. 300€ in Greece). Payable mooring buoys are everywhere, and expensive, there is no such thing as free tying up in villages and towns, scarce free anchoring possibilities, they charge double for catamarans on mooring buoys! Croatia has many marinas, but their prices are high and still growing.
I am leaving Croatia. Maybe for Greece.
Dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:36   #35
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Hello Dare and welcome to the cruisers forum.
I had said the same thing often when the freak out happens with the Greek Cruising Tax. Croatia was the most expensive place we visited. I paid $400 per night at the ACI marina in Dubrovnik.
Have fun in Greece.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:39   #36

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare View Post
Whoever may be thinking of leaving Greek waters because of this new taxation should NOT (!!) consider Croatia as their new cruising ground.
Cruising permit prices in CRO are relatively reasonable, but all other costs are outrageous.
The tourist tax for boats up to 10 meters LOA is 770€/yr for 2018 which is 2.6 times higher than the new Greek tax. It is supposedly being reduced in 2019 due to strong protests from the nautical community. But it will still be 30% higher than the Greek tax (400€ for 10 m vs. 300€ in Greece). Payable mooring buoys are everywhere, and expensive, there is no such thing as free tying up in villages and towns, scarce free anchoring possibilities, they charge double for catamarans on mooring buoys! Croatia has many marinas, but their prices are high and still growing.
I am leaving Croatia. Maybe for Greece.
I agree with most you say but the tax Yale for boats over 12 meters is the double in Greece compared with Croatia.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece