Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2015, 06:07   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
Greece Reciprocal Tax for non-EU boats (not the cruising tax)

As I sit aboard here in southern Sicily we are planning where to winter next year after heading east to Croatia, Greece, and possibly Turkey. In talking with some friends on a Canadian boat we found out about the Greek "Reciprocal Tax" for non-EU boats. This is DIFFERENT than the cruising tax, which is being discussed in another thread. From what I have found online this tax begins after your initial 90 days cruising in Greece. It is calculated based on your length and beam by month and collected quarterly. It does not apply to EU boats (or UK boats). We are US Coast Guard registered so it would apply to us.

The problem is all the information I have found is somewhat dated and I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with this tax (again not the cruising tax). As all things in southern Europe things appear to be different in reality than on paper so I'm interested in seeing how this tax is enforced. If we winter in Greece than we could be there a while and that tax could add up.

Any experience or thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Zoid
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 11:33   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Greece Reciprocal Tax for non-EU boats (not the cruising tax)

Have you checked Noonsite?

The tax you are talking about is part of your Transit Log and entered in on it. Non-EU boats have had to pay that tax for a long time. It is supposed to go away with the new cruising tax and is virtually identical in cost. So for us, cruising in Greece is the same with either tax. For EU boats it got more expensive.
Old 24-01-2015, 02:23   #3

So assuming the cruising tax does not get implemented or continues to stall for 2015. Then if I were to winter in Greece all of the time (say Oct/Nov through April) that I spent tied up in a marina would accrue these transit log fees every three months, right? That definitely adds to the cost of wintering in Greece versus Turkey. Turkey brings its own challenges with residence requirements, etc., but sounds like the Greece tax could be considerable. I am on a 11.5 meter (l) and 6.5 meter (b) catamaran. Anyone know what the transit log tax would be per 3 months period for a boat my size?
Old 24-01-2015, 02:50   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Zoid - i assume you are carrying an EU passport. if not how do plan to get around schengren?

we are in tunisia for the winter and will be sailing sciliy, albania and the greece this coming summer and plan to winter over in turkey.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 03:08   #5

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Zoid the answer is simple. You can get a 12 month visa or a 5 yr visa in Turkey personnely after 22 yrs living 6 months of the yr in Greece I would avoid it or avoid making the decision until after forthcoming elections and to see which way the greek government goes with all thre policy's
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 05:15   #6

And the cost question is simple also. Go to Noonsite where they tell you what the cost is per meter per 3 month period and figure it out. For me it cost 900 euro for 9 months, so approximately 100 euro per month. When you consider the cost of using municipal quays and free anchorages, it sounds downright cheap to me. But many sailors believe everything should be free everywhere in the world.
Old 24-01-2015, 10:22   #7

Boat: pelle&Peterson, Maxi95, 9,5 mètres
Send a message via Skype™ to Va2shp

Make sure you can get an extended visa prior committing to Greece, your boat can stay 18 months, but not you without the proper paper.
Va2shp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 12:23   #8

Boat: cat. robertson&caine leopard 45
Send a message via Yahoo to catamaran nadja Send a message via Skype™ to catamaran nadja
Thumbs up Re: Greece Reciprocal Tax for non-EU boats (not the cruising tax)

From my expirience leopard 45 cat it was 3 years ago 350 eur per 3 monts and they ask you to pay the tax at a local tax revenue office where theu give you a paper than back to foast guards who put a stamp onto your transit log . I was under usa flag delaware .
another point important one is if you are wintering in the marina you can deposit your transit log at a custom office and they will substract that period from a 18 months within eu borders. It theoreticali means for you and for me at that time I was 3 years with 3 x 6 months in the marina .
Hope it has helped you a bit
cat nadja
catamaran nadja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 08:32   #9

Thanks for the replies. For all the comments about Schengen, I’ve got that covered and didn’t want to get into on this thread as it usually takes over. We have US passports with long term French Visas. If you want to discuss Schengen please PM me so we can stay on topic about Greek boat taxes on this thread. I am also aware of the 18 month EU waters issue for the boat and will be resetting it Albania and Turkey, so not too concerned about that.

So for the tax, I realize with the election a lot could change. It could also just add further confusion. Time will tell, however if we assume things remain the same then it looks like non-EU boats captained by non-EU citizens will pay around 15EUR per month every 3 months. For my boat this adds about 180 EUR per quarter so to winter for 6 months would be an extra 360 EUR.

The only question with this is that like most sites, they focus on monohulls, not cats. I wanted to know if I should expect some 1.5x multiplier or something to the 15 EUR rule because I’m a cat rather than a mono. Anyone know?

Again, everything can change, but just want to know what the current state it right now. Thanks everyone!
Old 26-01-2015, 10:14   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to catamaran nadja Send a message via Skype™ to catamaran nadja

Agin and at a condition nothing has changed from 2012 when we quit greek waters for spain where the boat is right now ...We paid around 120 eur per month payable every 3 month for the period already past , en rears , this was enforced by local coast gards who at any control of our transit log each time controled the tax revenue stamp . This was for a catamaran leopard 45 under USA flag state delaware we are non eu sitizens /serbia/ the taxt was due to be paid even if the boat is in the marina for the winter. If you nedd more real info please ask will go into my documents and check the hole stuff.
The things is every even the smallest port imaginable has a coast gard office and with the american flag believe me in 5 min there are onboard asking the documents , that was one of the reasons we left greece too many hasle with paper work , we are on holidays after alll havent we
Hope I have helped you as seed do not hesitate for real docs if needed
Nikola

Sent from my GT-P5200 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-01-2015, 11:47   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by catamaran nadja View Post
The things is every even the smallest port imaginable has a coast gard office and with the american flag believe me in 5 min there are onboard asking the documents , that was one of the reasons we left greece too many hasle with paper work , we are on holidays after alll havent we
I am not surprised at all that the greek coast guards are there in 5 min. when they see the americain flag. Did you know that 90% turkish boats are flying US flag from Delaware to avoid every possible taxes that they would otherwise liable for ? And as we are too close to Greece, most of Turkish boats don't bother about greek entry/exit procedures for daily or short visits.
So, don't take it personal and enjoy Spain, it's much less buraucratic..

Cheers

yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 14:22   #12

Agree yes to all pleasure boaters Spain is the one question documents paper work ect yes yes
Regards
Nikola

Sent from my GT-P5200 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-02-2015, 09:59   #13

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Greece has changed the Rules.

The Cruising Association had reports of a couple of New Zealand boats being fined for overstaying the 6 months limit.

So what was this 6 month limit?

On investigation we found that the Greeks has implemented a new directive where NON EU yachts could stay 6 months in 12 months and then either leave or put the boat out of use with the Port Police - ie take it out of the water.

This is in blatant contradiction of the European Customs union regulation where the limit to a stay is 18 months in the EU customs area.

We have pushed the Greek Government and the shipping ministry has agreed with us, but the finance ministry - who will make the decision has been difficult. We have threatened to take them to the commission and as a result they have said they will review the regulation (which is for aircraft!!!)

I had high hopes we were getting somewhere until the Greek elections came along......

This was the official line from the Ministry of shipping
1. A recreational boat of any type over 7 m (LOA) flying non-EU flag used by non-EU residents (regardless whether the user is or is not the owner of the boat) will be furnished with TL valid for six (6) months, consecutive or unconsecutive, over a period of twelve (12) consecutive months. So, one or more persons may use the same boat, enter and exit greek waters many times a year, provided that the total use of the boat in Greece does not exceed 6 months. Every time they enter they must obtain a TL to be redelivered to the Customs on exit. The boat may stay in Greece, in the water or ashore, as long as they wish. The restriction applies to the period of use of the boat not the period of stay.

We have been unable to find out about the tariff for the fines levied. The CA website will have updated information on this and other matters such as the detention of yachts following an emergency call or tow into harbour as soon as we get more information, Along with the never continuing story of the Cruising tax....
Chris Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:22   #14

What was the fine? I mean, if your talking 100 euro who cares? The problem really is that many boaters have gotten away without paying the tax that goes along with the transit log. Now if they charge it like they always could have been, well don't complain. Last year I paid around 900 euro for the cruising tax and will this year, provided the ATM's actually spit out euros when I get there.

The only difference I see with your post compared to past experience is the enforcement of the 6 month period out of 12. Was that always in the law?
Old 07-02-2015, 10:53   #15

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post

The only difference I see with your post compared to past experience is the enforcement of the 6 month period out of 12. Was that always in the law?
No - the law was 18 months with a 3 months TL. Changed sometime in August last year, but it seems that no-one knows what the fines are! We are endeavouring to find out. As you say if the fine is small - who cares. But why on earth are the Greeks doing this - they will be forced back to the 18 month rule.

Right now its not normal service in Greece and we are having to establish new contacts as its all change at the moment.
Chris Robb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, cruising, Greece