Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2008, 08:44   #16

Boat: Albin Vega 'FAIRWINDS' 27FT
Don't miss the West Coast

Don;t miss the West Coast of Scotland whatever you do - it is one of the best cruising grounds in the world. Take a one-way trip through the Caledonian Canal then explore the NW as you work your way back round the top of Scotland, calling in at the Orkneys on the way. You won't regret it.

- W
webcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:41   #17

Boat: Mac 26x
webcraft

are you moored up at Oban? the boat that i go sailing in when im on the west coast is moored at the "Water boards moorings",its a 35ft franz maas raider,before that my buddies had a vega
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:34   #18

Location: Winters: UK, Southampton. Summers, Greece, Finikounda.
Boat: Oyster 406, 12.3m, RAPAZ
For a general picture of the cruising cruising areas from Amsterdam through the Channel, up the W Irish coast, to Scotland, have a look at my web site, which also has some very brief comments on Baltic Sailing.

I'd rush past the crowded Solent (S England) and start to slow down after Lyme Bay, pottering along the English SW coast to the Scillies. That'll take 3 weeks for a reasonable look.

Then off to Cork, S Ireland, followed by a very gentle 6 weeks working your way around the SW coast of Ireland (what a sociable place that is!), then the rather sparsely populated NW coast.

Depart from the NE corner of N Ireland to Scotland, and allow a further 6 weeks to work north from Ardnamurchan (I'd miss the Clyde, it's good, but the northern areas are better). Speed the whole thing up if you will, but you'll miss some great cruising grounds.

Scandinavia? Next year. The Baltic season is short (long days, short nights), so you should aim to arrive there by late May, leaving by mid-September at the latest. Excellent support in the Baltic from the Cruising Association (Baltic Section), look Cruising Association Home Page - I think around $100 a year for overseas membership.

Jim B
Google 'jimb sail' to find my site
Compares the Cruise areas of Europe
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:14   #19

Boat: Bavaria 38 Ocean
Norwegian pilot books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
The question to those who are experienced with these areas is what cruising guides or pilots do you consider "must have"?
The official pilot-books of the Norwegian coast can be downloaded from
the Norwegian Coastal authority. Kart.kystverket.no - Adaptive - 1.6.0.902
You will have to do the free registration first.
This is done bye clicking on the little yellow icon behind "Switch to simple mode". (near top left of the map).
After registration is done login via the same Icon.
After login look for a link on right-hand side of the map which says: Download DNL
When link is opened you will see a list of all the pilot books.
These can be downloaded as PDF files. They are in Norwegian and English, and gives detailed descriptions of all there is worth knowing along the Norwegian coast.

Geir
S/Y Destiny, Flekkefjord, Norway
la5zo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 16:26   #20

Boat: Albin Vega 'FAIRWINDS' 27FT
Oban

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastonjock View Post
webcraft

are you moored up at Oban? the boat that i go sailing in when im on the west coast is moored at the "Water boards moorings",its a 35ft franz maas raider,before that my buddies had a vega
Hi BJ

Our Vega lives in Balvicar on teh Isle of Seil, about twelve miles SOuth of Oban.

- Nick
webcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Denmark, Norway, Scotland, Germany, Sweden