Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 04:53   #1

French med bareboat locations

Happy new year all
I am looking for your help.
My intention is to bareboat charter in France.
I have ten people coming .Eight are inexperienced three dont like strong winds.
last year we were subjected to 30 knots all but one day. the joys of the Tremontayne!
Do any of you have an experience in June or July in a French marina with less gusty wind conditions.
I would consider Spain as a last resort.
look forward to any assistance.
thanks
Millar
Millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:24   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: French med bareboat locations

I would suggest looking at the French Riviera (eastwards from Toulon): it is rather well sheltered from the mistral.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:27   #3

Talking Re: French med bareboat locations

Alain
thanks I will start investigating that area now.
Merci.
regards
Millar
Old 05-01-2014, 15:08   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

What do you mean by " strong winds". The med kicks up a blow in the summer from time to time. I was based near nice for several years. You can be unlucky. If you want calm , I suggest the Ionian

Dave
Old 05-01-2014, 21:23   #5

Dave
I will try and be brief. Swmbo and my youngest want to sail but are nervous passengers, any form of heeling and its "end of the world stuff" .
Myself and son and one other live to sail and are fine with a bit of a blow and a swell.
As for unlucky, we were that soldier , St Cyprien last year the calm day was 25 knot with gusts to 35
the other 6 days 35 with gusting 45 to 50. the beach was a sandstorm. swmbo agreed with my decision(did as i was told! ) not to go out .
The owner of the charter Company explained that we were very unlucky that it is not normal at the end of June to have the Tremontayne blowing.
but as we all know you cannot depend on the weather.
So in summary
This year I have two that dont want to sail unless the area is not subjected to a local wind.
5 that want to go to France because they speak the language but also THIS year sail every day.
Myself and my son just want a sailing holiday.
Lastly Dave we are in Ireland and getting to Greece can be more complicated and expensive than going direct flights to France.
Thanks best regards
Millar
Old 06-01-2014, 15:36   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Ok. There are a few charters company google for bareboat charter around nice. I can't imagine where I find berths for overnights though on the cote dazure I never could.

Alternatively Croatia ( but beware bora. )

In my experience sailing the med there is always a quantifiable risk of excessive wind.

I'm in Ireland myself at the moment.

Have you considered turkey. I found more reliable winds there.

Dave
Old 07-01-2014, 13:47   #7

Thankyou Dave
I will propose both Greece and Turkey this weekend.
I will also look for charters as suggested near Nice.
I think maybe some historic data on wind trends may avoid potential rows.
thanks again
regards
Millar
Old 11-01-2014, 02:48   #8

Boat: between boats

Hi Millar

We have been in France last 3 seasons over parts of summer (canet en roussillion) and I would say the charter operator is not fibbing. Last year was particularly bad for the tramontane and so I wouldnt necessarily use it as my guide for the region. ie in may we had 4 back to back tramontane with no more than 3 day break between them. That got tedious. I would expect one every 6 weeks in june/july more typically from what local sailors have told us.

If one pops up around our neck of the woods we just head the other side of the pyrenees and its calm weather usually. Further north around Nice the wind is usually a little milder as others have said and with quite a few shelter options available.

Greece is great but we miss the French food!

Enjoy
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:54   #9

Barra
Thank you also for your reply.
My party are all stuck on France, food drink Language and people , so it looks like the more northern end.
thank you all for your posts, much appreciated.
safe sailing for 2014 to you all
Best regards
Millar
Old 06-02-2014, 14:30   #10

We had a great experience chartering with Nautica Escapes (Nautica Escapes) in 2013. The marina is walking distance from Nice airport, at Port St Laurent du Var (Port Saint Laurent Du Var | Bienvenue à Port Saint Laurent du Var), which makes for a very romantic image of stepping off the plane and onto the boat. The Beneteau Oceanis 37 was well maintained and nicely outfitted.

Of all the charter companies in the area, what set Nautica Escapes apart was personal attention from the owner Michel. In my first email, I had asked for itinerary recommendations, and he was the only charter owner to reply with a detailed answer to my specific questions -- and to recommend the best idea of the summer: time the charter to coincide with one of the Cannes firework festival shows. The personal touch was apparent on arrival, too. Michel has put together a lovely little black book of sailing tips for the area, which we depended on during our charter.

Nautica Escapes is best for experienced bareboat sailors, as they don't maintain a staffed local office to assist with rescues and repairs. We had a small issue which we were very happy to sort out with the local chandler ourselves and tell Michel about afterwards.

I've been meaning to come back and post this recommendation for months now, and your question knocked me out of my complacency. We'll be back in Nice to sail again with them this summer; tell Michel I sent you. Have a great time!
The Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:48   #11

Boat: 33ft sloop

@ Millar

The "Tramontana" blows only in Spain. It is the hot wind from the mountains. The Levante comes from the east and the 'Mistral' comes from the Northern mountainrange in France.

However, the Med can be a very dangerous place to be when bad weather is coming up.
Even cruisships will have a tough time when they land in a Force 9-10 Mistral or Levante.

I would choose your travel & charter carefully and with so many people on board you may need a vessel over 43 feet wich is not that easy to sail. You need at least another experienced person to help you.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:16   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

I agree that east of Toulon is your best bet.

A lot of detail for planning your cruise at JimBsail
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:30   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: French med bareboat locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
@ Millar

The "Tramontana" blows only in Spain. It is the hot wind from the mountains. The Levante comes from the east and the 'Mistral' comes from the Northern mountainrange in France.

However, the Med can be a very dangerous place to be when bad weather is coming up.
Even cruisships will have a tough time when they land in a Force 9-10 Mistral or Levante.

I would choose your travel & charter carefully and with so many people on board you may need a vessel over 43 feet wich is not that easy to sail. You need at least another experienced person to help you.
In the Balearics the wind from the N is refered to as the Tramontanas and they sweep down from the Golfe de Lyon... maybe this will be some help

Tramontane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, enc