Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2012, 03:44   #1

Boat: Gib sea 43
EU Boat in EU Waters Checking In ?

With a Uk flagged boat, do i need to check in/ do customs in other eu countries? or is it borderless?
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 03:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: EU boat in EU waters checking in?

You have to check in if you enter a marina/port and lay alonside a pay for berth but the stuff is usually all done by Marina staff these days if your an EU citizen..
but you still need your passport, ships papers and insurance as proof of it all...
If your on the hook I would not bother... if they're concerned they'll come to you..
In the main its all pretty relaxed... especially UK flagged..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 05:14   #3

Boat: Gib sea 43
Re: EU boat in EU waters checking in?

Cheers boatman, noonsite was kinda vague on the subject, hoping to head down to the med come april, now biscay late april?
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 05:17   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
With a Uk flagged boat, do i need to check in/ do customs in other eu countries? or is it borderless?
HM Revenue & Customs

http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/boa...rmalities.aspx

http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/boa...paperwork.aspx

http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/boa...s/default.aspx
lolarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 05:48   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: EU boat in EU waters checking in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
Cheers boatman, noonsite was kinda vague on the subject, hoping to head down to the med come april, now biscay late april?
No worse than one in December...lol..
I did one in an H22 a couple of 3 years back..

Should be okay.. get down to Falmouth and wait for a decent weather window... then run down to Bayona outside the continental shelf if the winds favour you.. the sea's are easier in deep water if it kicks up outa the blue... as it often does...
Prefer the st8 run down as opposed to going into La Coruna.. everythings easier to get to and its a good sheltered marina.. don't have to beat W and around Finisterre when you leave either...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 06:34   #6

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Effectively all the EU Med countries (and the Atlantic coast ones) are borderless and it is only Turkey that imposes immigration and customs formalities - unless you cross to the African coast. While marinas will often ask for registration documents and insurance details, it is only for their own security. We have only been asked for passports a couple of times in over ten years in the Med and that was in Greece by port police who probably didn't know the form for EU-flagged boats. Of course, it's different when you fly out to your boat as the UK is not party to the Schengen agreement and therefore you are likely to have to produce a passport at the airport on arrival. However, no airline will allow you to travel without one anyway.
Old 18-01-2012, 17:17   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Re: EU Boat in EU Waters Checking In ?

Boatman explained it well, but just remember that's for EU registered vessel with EU passport holders as crew. If you've bodies from outside the community, you'll need them to clear in as per the regulations.

And I'm sure you'll appreciate neither Turkey, (nor Croatia, Montenegro, Albania) are 'EU waters' so checking in will be required.

Enjoy
John
Old 19-01-2012, 04:17   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Just to look at what's supposed to happen.

For EU member citizens inside the Schengen area. There is no further port formalities other then those required by the marina to check in.

For EU member citizens from non Schengen countries, there is a requirement for such members to check in, at the first Schengen country, then no further check-ins are required. I think holland got tough on this a while back. But in practice this rule has been ignored in most cases.

In my experience in places like Portugal, Madeiras, canaries, the marina keeps a record of Eu passport holders and from time to time the local police check it.
Old 26-01-2012, 12:24   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
And I'm sure you'll appreciate neither Turkey, (nor Croatia, Montenegro, Albania) are 'EU waters' so checking in will be required.

Enjoy
John
regarding Croatia, this is last summer "free for all"
Old 26-01-2012, 12:36   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman
Boatman explained it well, but just remember that's for EU registered vessel with EU passport holders as crew. If you've bodies from outside the community, you'll need them to clear in as per the regulations.

Enjoy
John
No it's got nothing to do with the registration flag of the vessel. It's only the passport holders that count.

Dave
Old 26-01-2012, 12:51   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Theoretically citizenship of crew is key. But I've done many English Channel crossings with the boat full of people with dodgy, non-EU passports, and could never get the French to show the slightest sign of interest. So in practice you may find relaxed attitudes.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 13:03   #12

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Don't forget that the Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Sark, Alderney...) are not part of EU. Jersey has abolished immigration check-in for EU yachts (in 2006, IIRC) but Guernsey has not.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 06:28   #13
cruiser

something interesting regarding cruising in "EU waters"...

Sail World: Sail and sailing, cruising, boating news
Old 01-03-2012, 10:37   #14

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

As Dockhead has already confirmed, I've done similar crossings,cruised the canals and Spanish coast.with no problems at all. You need, RYA Day Skippers ticket,preferably coastal, either SSR register or full Part 1 Registration papers, Valid insurance for the boat, A VHF licence is rarely (if ever)demanded.Ports familiar with visiting traffic rarely bother but in out of the way ports you may have curiosity value. Fill your boat to the neck with red diesel and keep the receipts as Red diesel is forbidden for pleasure boats in France. Fly the correct sized flag for your boat with a neat clean courtesy flag, DON'T fly an oversized bedsheet as it causes offence.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote