Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2014, 13:13   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,899
Egyptian navy vessel attacked by terrorist

Interesting development...

BBC News - Egypt sailors missing after navy ship attacked in Med


Quote:
Gunmen have attacked an Egyptian navy ship in the Mediterranean Sea, state media say, leaving five servicemen injured and eight more missing at sea.

The vessel reportedly caught fire in the assault, some 70km (45 miles) off the northern port of Damietta.

In two further attacks in northern Sinai, militants killed five policemen and soldiers, officials said.

A three-month state of emergency was declared in northern Sinai last month after 31 soldiers were killed.

Jihadists have stepped up attacks against police and soldiers since the overthrow of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi last year.

However, direct attacks on Egyptian naval vessels are unusual.
__________________

__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 13:47   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,899
Re: Egyptian navy vessel attacked by terrorist

And then I stumble across this, not Med but West aFrica.

BBC News - Danger zone: Chasing West Africa?s pirates

Pirates around the Gulf of Guiana/Nigeria.

Sheesh!
__________________

__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 19:57   #3
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Egyptian navy vessel attacked by terrorist

Another good reason to realise GOA, Red Sea and North Africa is not safe.
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 00:41   #4
Registered User
 
miyagimoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Any Where there is Blue Water
Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Posts: 79
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon
Re: Egyptian navy vessel attacked by terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Another good reason to realise GOA, Red Sea and North Africa is not safe.
Sorry Sir but IMHO you are talking absolute rubbish!

Unless you have not noticed Terrorists are all over the world and as for Piracy Check out:

Key Facts | Eunavfor

https://www.icc-ccs.org/piracy-repor...ive-piracy-map
__________________
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 01:21   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: liveaboard
Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Posts: 392
Re: Egyptian navy vessel attacked by terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyagimoon View Post
Sorry Sir but IMHO you are talking absolute rubbish!

Unless you have not noticed Terrorists are all over the world and as for Piracy Check out:

Key Facts | Eunavfor

https://www.icc-ccs.org/piracy-repor...ive-piracy-map

Well said Albert. Facts is what are needed
__________________
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 03:26   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Underway in the Med -
Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Posts: 1,904
Images: 1
Re: Egyptian navy vessel attacked by terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Another good reason to realise GOA, Red Sea and North Africa is not safe.
Rubbish on North Africa -- we are in Tunisia and safer here than in spots in USA>
__________________
just our thoughts and opinions
chuck and svsoulmates
In Marmaris Turkey for the winter
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 03:12   #7
Registered User
 
svBeBe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Posts: 946
Re: Egyptian navy vessel attacked by terrorist

In defense of the original posting, this has nothing to do with piracy or the history or lack thereof of any attacks on pleasure yachts transiting the Suez Canal or cruising the northern half of the Red Sea. This attack on the Egyptian naval vessel about 30 NM from the northern entrance to the Suez Canal is just one more jihadist attack in that vicinity recently. The other attacks that have occurred in the vicinity of the Suez Canal have all been land based. Remember the 31 Egyptian soldiers killed a month or so past. The point is that jihadist activity has increased in that region since Morsi was toppled and these attacks likely will increase. This does not mean that any pleasure yacht has been attacked. It does mean that sailors wishing to cruise that area need to keep informed of current activity and remain alert. YMMV.

Judy
__________________
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 04:38   #8
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Africa
Boat: catalac 10m
Posts: 351
Re: Egyptian navy vessel attacked by terrorist

Piracy and misconceptions galore. I want to add that living in the Western affluent hemisphere doesn't excuse simple mindedness. I have had many peopke querying me about my liveaboarding in Eastern Africa. I haven't encountered any problem but inform myself, like one has to check fir weather windows, now we can check lots of info on political problems like piracy on the net. If an Egyptian naval cessel gets attacked in med that diesnt mean entire med is unsafe! I get extremely annoyed that tourism in Eastern African countries at 3000 miles from Kenya can be affected because some Western tourists think bonbs, al shabab on Kenyan coast affects Mozambique. Please add geography to primary school education.
__________________
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 04:42   #9
Registered User
 
miyagimoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Any Where there is Blue Water
Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Posts: 79
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon
Re: Egyptian navy vessel attacked by terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
In defense of the original posting, this has nothing to do with piracy or the history or lack thereof of any attacks on pleasure yachts transiting the Suez Canal or cruising the northern half of the Red Sea. This attack on the Egyptian naval vessel about 30 NM from the northern entrance to the Suez Canal is just one more jihadist attack in that vicinity recently. The other attacks that have occurred in the vicinity of the Suez Canal have all been land based. Remember the 31 Egyptian soldiers killed a month or so past. The point is that jihadist activity has increased in that region since Morsi was toppled and these attacks likely will increase. This does not mean that any pleasure yacht has been attacked. It does mean that sailors wishing to cruise that area need to keep informed of current activity and remain alert. YMMV.

Judy
I do not think anyone has any issues with the original post nor probably the second post which referrs to piracy. It's the fly away comment from MarkJ.

We are all aware (or at least we should be) of possible terrorist activities. But let us get things in perpective. In 2014 to date there has been over 230 terrorist attacks throughout the world. 9 of which are associated with Egypt (Red Sea / Suez Canal), thats less than 4%.

By the way 4 of the 230 catagorised as terrorist attacks happened in USA. Is that "Another good reason to realise USA is not safe".
__________________
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 04:52   #10
Registered User
 
miyagimoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Any Where there is Blue Water
Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Posts: 79
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon
Re: Egyptian navy vessel attacked by terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
Piracy and misconceptions galore. I want to add that living in the Western affluent hemisphere doesn't excuse simple mindedness. I have had many peopke querying me about my liveaboarding in Eastern Africa. I haven't encountered any problem but inform myself, like one has to check fir weather windows, now we can check lots of info on political problems like piracy on the net. If an Egyptian naval cessel gets attacked in med that diesnt mean entire med is unsafe! I get extremely annoyed that tourism in Eastern African countries at 3000 miles from Kenya can be affected because some Western tourists think bonbs, al shabab on Kenyan coast affects Mozambique. Please add geography to primary school education.
Well said that man / woman !!!
__________________
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 06:19   #11
Registered User
 
svBeBe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Posts: 946
Re: Egyptian navy vessel attacked by terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyagimoon View Post
I do not think anyone has any issues with the original post nor probably the second post which referrs to piracy. It's the fly away comment from MarkJ.

We are all aware (or at least we should be) of possible terrorist activities. But let us get things in perpective. In 2014 to date there has been over 230 terrorist attacks throughout the world. 9 of which are associated with Egypt (Red Sea / Suez Canal), thats less than 4%.

By the way 4 of the 230 catagorised as terrorist attacks happened in USA. Is that "Another good reason to realise USA is not safe".
The USA is not safe. I think even Americans realize that. It is no more safe than England or Germany or Australia or Fiji or Philippines. My town of Houston, TX, had 217 murders; 665 rapes; 9,385 robberies; 11,343 assaults; 26,630 burglaries; 67,978 thefts; 13,070 auto thefts; and 754 cases of arson reported during calendar year 2013. Hardly could be considered "safe."

Terrorism can happen anywhere. To pretend otherwise is foolish. Just as foolish to pretend that what has happened in a certain region is not an indication of that area being dangerous. Egypt is in turmoil. It is politically very unstable. These attacks are happening and are likely to continue to happen until they once again have a stable government.

Judy
__________________
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 06:26   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: liveaboard
Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Posts: 392
Re: Egyptian navy vessel attacked by terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
The USA is not safe. I think even Americans realize that. It is no more safe than England or Germany or Australia or Fiji or Philippines. My town of Houston, TX, had 217 murders; 665 rapes; 9,385 robberies; 11,343 assaults; 26,630 burglaries; 67,978 thefts; 13,070 auto thefts; and 754 cases of arson reported during calendar year 2013. Hardly could be considered "safe."

Terrorism can happen anywhere. To pretend otherwise is foolish. Just as foolish to pretend that what has happened in a certain region is not an indication of that area being dangerous. Egypt is in turmoil. It is politically very unstable. These attacks are happening and are likely to continue to happen until they once again have a stable government.

Judy
Hi Judy,

That is too broad a statement. I think to put it into perspective would be to say. "certain parts of any country are not safe".There are parts of the USA that are safe as there are in England.
__________________
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 06:57   #13
Registered User
 
Sand crab's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Posts: 3,157
Re: Egyptian navy vessel attacked by terrorist

Bozeman, Montana averages one half of a murder per year. I'd hate to be the other half.
Don't come here, it's not safe.
__________________
We don't need no stinking badges.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 02:11   #14
Registered User
 
svBeBe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Posts: 946
Re: Egyptian navy vessel attacked by terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivonia View Post
Hi Judy,

That is too broad a statement. I think to put it into perspective would be to say. "certain parts of any country are not safe".There are parts of the USA that are safe as there are in England.
No, Peter. Terrorism can happen anywhere at any time. Even in tiny rural villages or towns. If there is a target worth getting international attention (could be as simple as a school or hospital or retirement home), then terrorism can happen there. As to stats of crimes, my mother was murdered in a robbery in a tiny town in the USA. The first murder since the town had been incorporated 39 years earlier. Statistically highly unlikely that this could happen, yet it did. And there has not been another murder in that little town since she was killed in 1981. Crime also can happen anywhere at any time. I still maintain that it is not prudent to ignore that attacks are taking place in a region, such as has happened in Egypt near the Suez Canal several times this year.

Judy
__________________
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 04:05   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: liveaboard
Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Posts: 392
Re: Egyptian navy vessel attacked by terrorist

Hi Judy,

realy sorry to hear of that dreadful news about your mother.
__________________

__________________
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Egypt, navy

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual Vessel Views -vs- Single Vessel View on Dual Cummings MV WOLFPACK Marine Electronics 0 12-04-2014 07:45
Buy a Navy Sail Training Vessel Vasco Monohull Sailboats 1 01-11-2013 09:25
For Sale: 75 foot ex navy vessel for sale JoseJoe Classifieds Archive 0 14-05-2012 16:17
Vessel on a Vessel rj_whitten Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 7 27-03-2011 09:10
pirate/terrorist Aescleah Health, Safety & Related Gear 3 10-01-2007 16:07



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:45.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.