Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2013, 22:16   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 - Times like these. Port: Mooloolaba, Australia
Delos ruins (near Mykonos) by private yacht

We’re picking up some friends in Mykonos soon and they are interested in going to see the ruins at Delos, but I understand private yachts aren’t allowed to moor / anchor there?

I was thinking we could cruise up fairly close and send them in via Dinghy, then head around to Rinea and drop the hook until they are ready to be collected?

If anyone has been to the Delos ruins via a private yacht, could you please provide some tips?

Cheers

Burls
Old 17-06-2013, 22:38   #2

Boat: Roughwater 33
Re: Delos ruins (near Mykonos) by private yacht

Rhinia - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

The anchorage at Delos may only be used between 0800 and 1500 for the purpose of visiting the archaeological site. It is entered from the S between the islet of Megali Rematia and Delos (while there is a narrow passage between the N end of Megali Rematia and the breakwater of Delos, depths are reportedly as little as 2.0 metres and this passage is not for the fainthearted). Megali Rematia should be given a good clearance on entry, especially on the SE side, as there are dangerous reefs around its shores. Proceed up the channel between Megali Rematia and Delos in the direction of the small tripper boat harbour, which is protected from northerlies by a 200 metre long breakwater. Depths are better on the port side of the channel (but only once past the dangerous reef at the SE end of Megali Rematia) and shoal rapidly from 15-18 metres at the entrance to only 3.0 - 4.0 metres or less near the breakwater. Most yachts anchor about 100 metres due S of the breakwater end in 4.0 - 5.0 metres. The holding here is only moderately good in sand and rock and it is advisable to use at least 35 metres of chain and snub your anchor carefully before leaving your yacht. Dinghies are directed to land at the steps at the NE end of the breakwater, clear of the tripper boat quay.
Warning: Proceed north, up the shallow channel between Delos and Rhinia watching out for the many reefs.
csmithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 07:43   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

We visited Delos last November. We anchored in the shallow channel near the harbour (terrible holding but the weather was settled and we were the only boat there) and the island staff had no problem with us being there. That may be because we were out of season though. There are day trips from Mykonos to Delos if that helps. Rinia was a lovely anchorage with clear water and no-one else there!
Old 24-06-2013, 08:44   #4

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

I can confirm the information on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki, since I posted it. The yacht in the photo is in fact our Oyster 435 Athene of Lymington.

You have no problems anchoring during the times stated for the purpose of visiting the archaological site, but note that you are meant to leave by 1500, since that is when the site closes. You can then go across to one of the anchorages on Rhinia for overnight.

Don't miss the climb to the top of the island - the views are superb (that's where the photo was taken from).

GORDON KNIGHT
Old 28-06-2013, 03:15   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380 - Times like these. Port: Mooloolaba, Australia

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Burls

Tags
yacht