Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-08-2010, 18:47   #1

Boat: Ranger Sloop '32 - Martigre
Cyclades Bareboat - Advance Scouting Request . . .

Aloha!

We're heading out next week to pick up a 43' Jeanneau from Athenian Yacht Brokerage on Syros for a round trip on Aug 25th. We're planning on hitting Mykonos, Naxos, Paros & Anti Paros, Serfios & Sifnos if possible before heading back to drop off the yacht at Syros.

Anyone in the northern/mid cyclades with an advance scouting report this late in the season?

How is the Meltemi right now? Forecast seems to show it building a bit to 30kts on the 23rd.

Any suggestions for anchorages? We have a few identified, but would be interested to hear your suggestions.

Also, any words of advise should we decide to port a night or two - any "must do" places?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Gregg

Old 20-08-2010, 14:01   #2

Boat: sold swan new cat under construction / Canados 50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
try this site Aegean-marinas dot eu

Old 24-08-2010, 06:01   #3

Boat: Trident Challenger- 35 feet
Thumbs up Top Spots in the Cyclades...

Ormos Livadhi at the south-east corner of Serifos is the BEST place in the Cyclades, s good anchorage or harbour berth if you prefer; then take the bus up to the Chora and walk back down the hill - it's everything Mykonos Town tries (and fails) to be.

Not keen on Mykonos - horrible harbour and the town's too 'Disneyland' and totally geared to the cruise-ship market; the nearby island of Delos is well worth visiting though and whilst you can't overnight there, there's a great/secure overnight anchorage a further 2M to the SE at the bottom of Reina Island.

Liked Naossa at the north end of Paros and if you fancy a full day ashore, I'd recommend hiring a car and touring Naxos Island.

Be wary of the cute horse-shoe shaped bay at the SE end of Sifnos (I can't remember its name) which gets rave reviews in all the Pilot Books, as the swell often rolls in making it uncomfortable.

If you get caught with a Meltimi period and sailing's unpleasant, consider catching a ferry (from Paros, Naxos and probably Mykonos) down to Santorini/Thira for the day.

Enjoy yourselves.
Old 24-08-2010, 06:20   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martigre View Post
Aloha!

We're heading out next week to pick up a 43' Jeanneau from Athenian Yacht Brokerage on Syros for a round trip on Aug 25th. We're planning on hitting Mykonos, Naxos, Paros & Anti Paros, Serfios & Sifnos if possible before heading back to drop off the yacht at Syros.

Anyone in the northern/mid cyclades with an advance scouting report this late in the season?

How is the Meltemi right now? Forecast seems to show it building a bit to 30kts on the 23rd.

Any suggestions for anchorages? We have a few identified, but would be interested to hear your suggestions.

Also, any words of advise should we decide to port a night or two - any "must do" places?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Gregg
We just had 35+ knots for 3-4 days in a a row, now back to normal 15-20 knots
remember to give yourself enough time to return the yacht, if your late they really hit you hard
Old 24-08-2010, 08:54   #5

Paros and Antiparos

I was in the Cyclades from about 25 June - 3 July this year (and small world, met Ram in Iraklia in the Little Cyclades). I was in the Southern Cyclades (Paros, Iraklia, Koufunissi, Amorgos and Santorini) on a Beneteau 54 so it seems you are concentrating on an area North of where I was sailing, with the overlap being Paros. Here is what I can you about Paros:

Parikia -- There is a large rock that is marked by a black and white hazard marker that is past (further into the harbor of Parikia) the ferry dock. The holding ground in Parikia for anchoring in the inner harbor seemed quite good. The marina for cruising boats is filled to the brim with charter boats on Friday - Sunday. During the week if you can get inside, you will roll less at night. However, I did spend my last night Med Moored on the outside wall and donít remember really rolling, I was wedged in very tight by returning charter boats at that point.

If some of your crew wants a night ashore, I recommend the Hotel Paros (youíll see its blue sign from the water, 4 minute walk from the Marina). Nice, extremely well kept and affordable, the proprietors are terrific and will clue you into the Local scene.

Best restaurants are not along the waterfront (although they are good) but within the alleys and along the town square situated behind the ferry dock and windmill.
If there for a couple of days, Iíd rent a car (30 Euros a day) from Athinia Car Rental (along the water, past the Hotel Paros out of town). Naussoua is beautiful (you can also take the boat there, but I didnít) and in the South part of the Island, Aliki Beach and the adjoining town were pretty darn nice (can't really take the boat there).

As for Antiparos, by almost all accounts, you should avoid the channel between Paros and Antiparos (I drew 2.3 meters, so I never really considered it). Actually, if you rent a car from Athinia Car rental, they allow you to take the car over by ferry (there is a small ferry that runs between the islands that leaves from the west coast of Paros). I did not have the chance to do that and I wish I had.

Afros Marine is now located right by the Atlantic Super Market (just across the street from the Marina). Afros can arrange for fuel and water. Ask for Graham if you need to trouble shoot anything. He is the most knowledgeable. Atlantic is very good for provisioning.

It is almost guaranteed you will have some breeze. Plan lay days for that eventuality. I went in June to avoid the Meltemi and high season crowds. It worked.

The Cyclades are the best place I have ever chartered (including BVI, Grenadines, Leewards, Whitsundays and Bay of Islands). Have fun.

Tags
bareboat, Cyclades

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: