Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2011, 08:16   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibye View Post
Hi is it true that the larger yacht with a deep keel might have trouble grounding as the canals are not all getting dredged regular,5ft 6" max???
Nope... a deep keel yacht will have 'no trouble at all grounding' in the French canals... if you've more than 5ft draft your pushing your luck in the Northern sectors...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 09:23   #17
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
For non-residents of ECM countries, how does one obtain an ICC Certificate of Competence and write the CEVNI? If it has to be done in France, are the exams only available in French? Regardless, are there study booklets available?

In addition, in past I had understood that the maximum total stay in the ECM for non-residents was 12 months (and less than 6 months in any one country) prior to the need to import the boat and pay VAT - was I misinformed, or is that something which has changed?

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 10:56   #18

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Oh Well, I guess I'm stuck going the long way round from England to the Med. I was thinking on the canals, It would be a hell of a trip but Sabre Dance draws 6'9" or 2.06 meters. Having already spoken to the designer it is possible to saw some off the keel and 26cm sure doesn't seem like a lot of material to cut off. One more thing to look at this summer during the refit.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 11:03   #19

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Don't want to miss Biscay, do you Sabre?

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 11:05   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
Oh Well, I guess I'm stuck going the long way round from England to the Med. Sabre
Yes but the cruising area you are going through is just fabulous so don't rush. Whilst the Bay of Biscay has a reputation, closer inshore to the NE is Frances premier cruising grounds and offshore islands. Don't just sail past any part of France, Spain or Portugal.

Gulf of Morbihan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Belle Ile en Mer France Travel Information, Places to Visit and hotels near Belle Ile, Brittany

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brittany-belle-ile-en-mer.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	22965  
Attached Images

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 11:07   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
For non-residents of ECM countries, how does one obtain an ICC Certificate of Competence and write the CEVNI? If it has to be done in France, are the exams only available in French? Regardless, are there study booklets available?

In addition, in past I had understood that the maximum total stay in the ECM for non-residents was 12 months (and less than 6 months in any one country) prior to the need to import the boat and pay VAT - was I misinformed, or is that something which has changed?

Brad
The RYA will shortly ( Early Feb) begin holding exams and issuing ICC;s to non nationals whoses countries do not issue ICCs. I dont know the exact details. Other ICC issuing countries will no doubt do teh same as the rules were modified for all. Presumably it means a visit to such a country.

Temporay Import Relief was raised from 12 months to 18 months ( actually with a further 6 month extension on agreement to 24 months) some years ago. Note this ONLY applies to the boat, you the owner, must not be a EU tax resident and in Schengen countries ( ie all of the EU except UK and ireland) you are only allowed to stay a total of 90 days in 180 totalled accross all countries visited. SO the boat can stay for nearly two years the crew gets 3 months!.

PS the term ECM, or European Common Market is long gone, the correct name is the European Union ( since the Mastricht act in 1993)!

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 11:12   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 12m River Cruiser
ICC and CEVNI

The situation is as I noted in a previous post here, and see my page on the subject at Regulations and Licences | Cruising the French waterways, canals and rivers by boat .
The RYA has recently announced that it has received approval to test and qualify non-UK residents, in the UK, in English (provided those examined are not residents of a country itself able to test and issue the ICC/CEVNI).
Tam and Di Murrell are a very experienced English couple, able to instruct and test ICC/CEVNI in France - see Barge Handling
Grehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 11:14   #23
Marine Service Provider

VAT

For an overview of VAT and some related tax issues relating to boating, see VAT, Boats and the E.U. | Cruising the French waterways, canals and rivers by boat
Old 20-01-2011, 11:16   #24
Marine Service Provider

Routes through France, Depths of French canals

For information about potential routes through (not around!) France, see
Canal and River Routes Through France | Cruising the French waterways, canals and rivers by boat
For information about depths, widths, etc., see
Waterway Depths, Heights and Widths | Cruising the French waterways, canals and rivers by boat
Old 31-01-2011, 05:39   #25
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Thanks Dave. Just so that I have it clear, when you say 90 days out of 180 does that mean out of each 6 months you can spend up to 90 days in any one country? So, for example, it one were to cruise the French canals you would need to spend less than 9o days, but then could go to Spain, Portugal, Italy etc. for several months and return to France for another 90 (keeping in mind the 18 month total maximum)?

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 06:55   #26
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Thanks Dave. Just so that I have it clear, when you say 90 days out of 180 does that mean out of each 6 months you can spend up to 90 days in any one country? So, for example, it one were to cruise the French canals you would need to spend less than 9o days, but then could go to Spain, Portugal, Italy etc. for several months and return to France for another 90 (keeping in mind the 18 month total maximum)?
No unfortunately, For countries within the Schengen area, its 90 days cumaltive accross all countries out of 180, so if you spend 90 days in france, you must leave the schengen area ( which includes spain, portugal, iltaly) for another 90 days before returning to the Schengen area.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 07:26   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Brad, if your looking to break your time in Europe then Egypt from a month onwards will be superb. No I haven't lost my marbles, they will have a quick revolt, install someone new in power and then be keen to get back their tourist industry, a major income generator for them. So lots of bargin holidays and prices because few will be willing to travel there. Potentially you could have a pyramid to yourself to walk around and rather impressive they are too.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 10:34   #28

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi,
If anyone wishes to learn the CEVNI regs its easy enough to do that on line today. Go to RYA Interactive where you can practice the test as often as you like and then when you feel confident, you can approach any of the approved schools (again on line) pay them and get access to do the test (on-line) and print off your certificate.
We've had to go through this process as we've just sold our longer range sailing / cruiser and bought a coastal / river power boat so we can begin to explore the canals and rivers of Europe from later this year.
Once we start we'll keep our own blog updated with detail of what it's like for 'newbie' river cruisers.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 31-01-2011, 13:25   #29
Nearly an old salt

Yes but the cevni rules themselves are not sufficient you need an ICC as well

Dave
Old 01-02-2011, 01:26   #30

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes but the cevni rules themselves are not sufficient you need an ICC as well

Dave
Correct. This bit you sadly cannot do on line - you send your CEVNI certificate to the RYA by snail mail and they then update your ICC - and post a new one back.
JOHN

Tags
french waterways