Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2015, 06:34   #1
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Cruising the Med has become a lot cheaper

Anyone watching the fall of the Euro vs Dollar lately - wow. Three years ago when we entered the Med I was paying a buck forty per euro, now its $1.16. Cruising is about 17% cheaper if your from the States.

Anyone know what the price of a liter of diesel is now in the Med?
Old 16-01-2015, 07:45   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Cruising the Med has become a lot cheaper

yep - sure is and we are loving it. and if the greeks do something dumb like deciding they are not going to repay it may get even cheaper.

now to get schengren fixed.
Old 16-01-2015, 07:52   #3
cruiser

My favorite 23 cent Spanish beer keeps getting cheaper! Just wish I'd waited until summer to fill up the fuel tanks.

I just checked online, the euro has fallen to $1.15 since you started the post 90 minutes ago.
Old 16-01-2015, 11:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
yep - sure is and we are loving it. and if the greeks do something dumb like deciding they are not going to repay it may get even cheaper.

now to get schengren fixed.
The Greeks are never going to repay the loans - everyone including the Germans know that. It's impossible even with a country that actually intended to. But we as American's probably shouldn't snicker too much because I don't think were going to pay ours either.
Old 16-01-2015, 12:12   #5

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

They will keep paying the loans As for diesel prices see here gives prices across current price of fuel Fuel-prices-europe.info - Current Fuel Prices in Europe
Old 16-01-2015, 12:25   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Shengan will be fixed this year to give 12 months in with a 12 month extension! But wont be effective till late this year. So I am putting off my trip to the EU till 2016.

This year I will be mooching around the USA east coast

Maybe I can pick up a hottie and learn to eat burgers...

Interestingly, with both the Cuba thing, the Euro and Shengan the American cruising grounds could change quite dramatically in the next year. Exciting times for all.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 16-01-2015, 12:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Shengan will be fixed this year to give 12 months in with a 12 month extension! But wont be effective till late this year. So I am putting off my trip to the EU till 2016.

This year I will be mooching around the USA east coast

Maybe I can pick up a hottie and learn to eat burgers...

Interestingly, with both the Cuba thing, the Euro and Shengan the American cruising grounds could change quite dramatically in the next year. Exciting times for all.
I can't believe were going to let you in... Without a doubt you can learn to eat a burger, the other, well, it depends on what you consider a "hottie".

Oh, just kidding, damit. I've seen the blog and was jealous.
Old 16-01-2015, 12:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
They will keep paying the loans As for diesel prices see here gives prices across current price of fuel Fuel-prices-europe.info - Current Fuel Prices in Europe
Of course they will keep paying the loans. As long as they can borrow the money to make the payment. Same as us. Good lord it will be interesting to see what happens when the merry-go-round stops.

If diesel is at € 1,045 that's € .45 less then I paid in Pilos last year. Thanks for the link.
Old 16-01-2015, 13:43   #9

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

For those of you in the UK and Ireland

Monthly Fuel Price Tracker
Old 16-01-2015, 14:49   #10
med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Of course they will keep paying the loans. As long as they can borrow the money to make the payment. Same as us. Good lord it will be interesting to see what happens when the merry-go-round stops.

If diesel is at € 1,045 that's € .45 less then I paid in Pilos last year. Thanks for the link.
That may be the price at supermarket pumps. At a marina it will costs a fair bit more. About €0.20 more may be. In France marina prices are about the same as autoroute prices which are about that much more than super market prices.
Old 16-01-2015, 15:10   #11

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Anyone watching the fall of the Euro vs Dollar lately - wow. Three years ago when we entered the Med I was paying a buck forty per euro, now its $1.16. Cruising is about 17% cheaper if your from the States.

Anyone know what the price of a liter of diesel is now in the Med?
Prices varies according with the country but in all prices are coming down following the fall of the price of oil barrel. They lowering has been significant.
Old 16-01-2015, 15:19   #12

Quote:
The Greeks are never going to repay the loans - everyone including the Germans know that. It's impossible even with a country that actually intended to. But we as American's probably shouldn't snicker too much because I don't think were going to pay ours either.
Unless they go out of the Euro (and that would be really bad for them) they have no alternative as to pay. if they were a lonely case it could happen but then there is Italy, Portugal, Spain, Ireland, France and more countries with big bills to pay. If they were allowed not to pay the markets would lose confidence on all indebted countries and the consequences would be disastrous with interests going to impossible numbers.

With the US it would be the same. If the market lost confidence on the US as a trustworthy partner the interests for the money to pay the deficit would rise sharply and the economic consequences would be disastrous for the US economy.
Old 16-01-2015, 15:38   #13

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Quote:
Originally Posted by med View Post
That may be the price at supermarket pumps. At a marina it will costs a fair bit more. About €0.20 more may be. In France marina prices are about the same as autoroute prices which are about that much more than super market prices.
Yes that is true but even if the price has dropped from 1.57 in Greece last yr to around 1.24 it's still a saving when I left porto di Roma Marina in August 2014 price of diesel was 1.88 euros , I have been in contact with family in Oz and my brother who is a big wiggy a Esso Australia believes the current price of oil will remain low for awhile
Old 16-01-2015, 16:10   #14

Probably one of the best Diesel prices on the Med are in Spain, now about 1.06/1.08 euros/L
Old 16-01-2015, 16:35   #15

Boat: between boats

Giddyup! Might add another year to the med cruise if this keeps up. Carib got 15% more expensive for us aussies this year and the eurozone another 10% cheaper.

Greece will never repay the loans but frankly thats just a side show to the real issues and right now with the swiss bailing on the euro peg the whole mess is beginning the inevitable unravelling.

Where this all ends is anyones guess but you can be sure there will be many more unintended consequences worldwide yet. We are in uncharted waters.

Great time to be swiss - take your francs and buy a boat in euros and come sailing in the med thats my tip!
Closed Thread

Tags
cheap, cruising