Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2011, 13:26   #46

Boat: twinkeels, 9m
Re: Cruising in Brittany and South West Coast of France in Spring / Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcorjeau View Post
Hello Pete, I just called the German side of Hydrographic and they said they have charts in English. However, chart 5045 she said that the chart with the beacons and buoys and their definitions is Chart 5011 or Intl Chart 1, is this correct? How much are paper charts over there? she said they cost 29.95 Euros here. Thanks
the chart ref for Rade de Brest is 7400L in the SHOM site:
SHOM - Service Hydrographique et Ocanographique de la Marine - Informations nautiques, cartes marines pour navigation

for me, no problem in good weather to sail on the rade de Brest, of course go with the tide flows, especially with an unsinkable boat, and good and personal safety equipment.

your boat will be registered in GB or elsewher?

bil (french from rade de Lorient)
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 04:37   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil56 View Post
the chart ref for Rade de Brest is 7400L in the SHOM site:
SHOM - Service Hydrographique et Ocanographique de la Marine - Informations nautiques, cartes marines pour navigation

for me, no problem in good weather to sail on the rade de Brest, of course go with the tide flows, especially with an unsinkable boat, and good and personal safety equipment.

your boat will be registered in GB or elsewher?

bil (french from rade de Lorient)

Hi Bil

Sorry it took me so long. I am very sick with the flu and was not online for many days, Still not well.

My boat will be registered in Germany. I understand now that boats registered outside of Brest or France are NOT allowed to fish in French waters meaning the salt waters not rivers.

Go with the tide flows means go in the water when the tide is flowing back in and not ebbing out? Most flows occur so late in the afternoon early evening tho. I dont wnat to be out on the water at night under any condition. Not sure the boat is unsinkable, the Titanic was suppose to be and it sank, these are only air supported if all tubes are damaged I am sure it will sink
portcorjeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 04:41   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise Pim View Post
Thanks, Bil.

I do have some books on the area and am doing some research but local knowledge is always so useful.

Louise

Hi Louise, didnt mean to hijack your thread but I found the opportunity to get vital information from the locals that was not possible. Local knowledge is the only way to go. They know the waters and the conditions weather etc.
Old 25-02-2011, 05:29   #49

Quote:
Hi Bil

Sorry it took me so long. I am very sick with the flu and was not online for many days, Still not well.

My boat will be registered in Germany. I understand now that boats registered outside of Brest or France are NOT allowed to fish in French waters meaning the salt waters not rivers.

Go with the tide flows means go in the water when the tide is flowing back in and not ebbing out? Most flows occur so late in the afternoon early evening tho. I dont wnat to be out on the water at night under any condition. Not sure the boat is unsinkable, the Titanic was suppose to be and it sank, these are only air supported if all tubes are damaged I am sure it will sink
I confirm for unauthorized fishing (officially ...)
but there remains walking fishing on shore: shells, oysters,....

your small inflatable boat has probably 3 compartments , under normal conditions, as covered by wave, it must be considered unsinkable.
if one compartment is punctured, it can continue to float.
with automatic inflatable lifejackets, no worry!
I wanted to say: as you know, the tide shifts about one hour each day, so you'll often find a moment to go with the tide flow and return with the other

hope you'll be healthier, read you soon ....

bil
Old 25-02-2011, 05:36   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil56 View Post
I confirm for unauthorized fishing (officially ...)
but there remains walking fishing on shore: shells, oysters,....

your small inflatable boat has probably 3 compartments , under normal conditions, as covered by wave, it must be considered unsinkable.
if one compartment is punctured, it can continue to float.
with automatic inflatable lifejackets, no worry!
I wanted to say: as you know, the tide shifts about one hour each day, so you'll often find a moment to go with the tide flow and return with the other

hope you'll be healthier, read you soon ....

bil

Bonjour Bil

Are you saying that auto inflatable lifejackets is the way to go and not the standardized orange ones?

Not sure what you mean by the tide shifts. I know it comes in and out every six hours more or less per day. But What is this shifting one hour per day, what exactly is this in relation to Eb an FLow or tide?

What do you mean unauthorized fishing? I was told you can fish in parts of the Rade de Brest. I am not interested in shoe fishing or shell fishing for that matter. Am I not allowed then to fish from my inflatable on the bay in designated areas that is?

I am not sure I will be well in the next days as doctor didnt give me antibiotics for the infection or fever, but I am using my grand mother's secret recipe Cognac, fresh lemon and Honey, all equal parts and warmed and sipped. It helps the throat and also relaxes the coughing. Of course I wont be able to drive
Old 25-02-2011, 06:04   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising in Brittany and South West Coast of France in Spring / Summer

[QUOTE=portcorjeau;628161]
Not sure what you mean by the tide shifts. I know it comes in and out every six hours more or less per day. But What is this shifting one hour per day, what exactly is this in relation to Eb an FLow or tide?

Basically each High Water and Low Water are roughly 6hrs 20mins apart so on..
Monday for example HW is at 10.00...
LW is 16.20...
HW is 22.40...
LW.. 05.00...
Tuesday HW is now 11.20
LW is 17.40
HW is 23.59
LW is 06.20
Wens HW is 12.40
The above is a rough approximation... actual local variations of +/- 10mins apply...
The 15-30mins difference is the time it takes for the flood to stop and for the water to reverse course and begin to ebb

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 06:10   #52

[QUOTE=boatman61;628183]
Quote:

Basically each High Water and Low Water are roughly 6hrs 20mins apart so on..
Monday for example HW is at 10.00...
LW is 16.20...
HW is 22.40...
LW.. 05.00...
Tuesday HW is now 11.20
LW is 17.40
HW is 23.59
LW is 06.20
Wens HW is 12.40
The above is a rough approximation... actual local variations of +/- 10mins apply...
The 15-30mins difference is the time it takes for the flood to stop and for the water to reverse course and begin to ebb

Hi Boatman

So when its lowwater at 17.40 in the afternoon he means come in with the new incoming tide which will make way each hour on the hour until it becomes highwater again? Is this it?

What is the average daylight in the month of August in Bretagne?

So putting a boat on the water at a HW at say 12 noon when its still going out is not a good idea if I do not want to get sucked out to sea?
Old 25-02-2011, 06:25   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising in Brittany and South West Coast of France in Spring / Summer

[QUOTE=portcorjeau;628193]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Hi Boatman

So when its lowwater at 17.40 in the afternoon he means come in with the new incoming tide which will make way each hour on the hour until it becomes highwater again? Is this it?

What is the average daylight in the month of August in Bretagne?

So putting a boat on the water at a HW at say 12 noon when its still going out is not a good idea if I do not want to get sucked out to sea?
At HW the tide starts to turn and runs out for 6hrs then takes about 20mins to reverse course and begin the flood again..
If you have a good little engine I would not worry to much about being swept out to sea.. I would worry more about your location... near rocks etc... also if your fishing you'll probably want to drift with the tide anyway... also get an 7lb anchor with a couple of metres of chain and a 20m length of 6mm line... don't worry so much you'll be fine..
Start close in and expand your area as your skill and confidence grow.. lets face it.. even if the motor dies you'll still have oars(hopefully).

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 25-02-2011, 06:39   #54

[QUOTE=boatman61;628205]
Quote:

At HW the tide starts to turn and runs out for 6hrs then takes about 20mins to reverse course and begin the flood again..
If you have a good little engine I would not worry to much about being swept out to sea.. I would worry more about your location... near rocks etc... also if your fishing you'll probably want to drift with the tide anyway... also get an 7lb anchor with a couple of metres of chain and a 20m length of 6mm line... don't worry so much you'll be fine..
Start close in and expand your area as your skill and confidence grow.. lets face it.. even if the motor dies you'll still have oars(hopefully).

Boatman, I dont want to drift out to sea at any time whatsoever. I have a 5 HP engine small and not at all something to save me from being swept up to the UK.

Does the tide change schedules come summer months? For example, will we then see low tide at say 8 or 9 and then high tide at around 3 and thereafter? I noticed in Plougerneau in particular, there are days the tide takes on a different pattern and then at 2 to 3 we have high tide in the bay La Grieve Blanche, other times its low water all day long until well into 6pm.

I am hoping it will take a change for summer so I can at least enjoy some of the fishing.

Alain also mentioned rocks, which areas of the bay are notorious for rocks that are submerged? Map does not show rocks outwards but near the coast and I am wondering if this is at MHW or when the tide is out?
Old 25-02-2011, 06:57   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=portcorjeau;628218]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Boatman, I dont want to drift out to sea at any time whatsoever. I have a 5 HP engine small and not at all something to save me from being swept up to the UK.

Does the tide change schedules come summer months? For example, will we then see low tide at say 8 or 9 and then high tide at around 3 and thereafter? I noticed in Plougerneau in particular, there are days the tide takes on a different pattern and then at 2 to 3 we have high tide in the bay La Grieve Blanche, other times its low water all day long until well into 6pm.

I am hoping it will take a change for summer so I can at least enjoy some of the fishing.

Alain also mentioned rocks, which areas of the bay are notorious for rocks that are submerged? Map does not show rocks outwards but near the coast and I am wondering if this is at MHW or when the tide is out?
I don't know the area so cannot comment... I'll leave that to someone more local... I was just trying to explain the times which is a cycle that is continuous all years round.... and 5hp should be ok as long as your not overloaded and stay away from races..
5hp is all I had cutting through the Ushant area inshore.. the secret is learning the tide times and staying in the 'safe areas' until your more experienced.
Also have a plan B... don't just rely on getting back to where you started from... have an alternative you can run to for shelter/whatever in an emergency or just to wait till the tide turns in your favour again..

Old 25-02-2011, 09:25   #56

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

Quote:
Since I reside in Germany I am not allowed to get a VHF unless I take the VHF course here in Germany and this cant be obtained until I get my Sea and Lake and River License which will be next year I hope. I will keep both cell phones charged and accessible should we need help.
Take a cheap handheld anyway, its more important to be safe than law-abiding
Old 25-02-2011, 09:38   #57

[QUOTE=boatman61;628232]
Quote:

I don't know the area so cannot comment... I'll leave that to someone more local... I was just trying to explain the times which is a cycle that is continuous all years round.... and 5hp should be ok as long as your not overloaded and stay away from races..
5hp is all I had cutting through the Ushant area inshore.. the secret is learning the tide times and staying in the 'safe areas' until your more experienced.
Also have a plan B... don't just rely on getting back to where you started from... have an alternative you can run to for shelter/whatever in an emergency or just to wait till the tide turns in your favour again..

I know that boatman. I will have to study it and Alain also told me about the B plan cuz you never know what may happen and suddenly at it. The boat wont have but maybe less than 1/3 of the required weight so I would imagine I can still get some little power out of it not so
Old 25-02-2011, 12:29   #58

[QUOTE=boatman61;628232]
Quote:

dear pontcorjeau,
you should really learn the principle of the tides, the sinusoidalcycle,
the daily shift, the principle of the coefficient of spring tides (sun + moon), etc ....
it would be unwise and dangerous to leave for the day at sea without knowing the basics

"...so that the salt water have no taste of tears..."
Old 25-02-2011, 14:03   #59

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Danielle,
The time and height for High Water and Low Water change every day, with the moon. During full moon and new moon, the tide amplitude is maximum and High Water occurs in the morning and the evening, with Low Water close to midday and midnight. During first and last quarters, the tide amplitude is minimum.

The "tide coefficient" is a French invention that describes the tide amplitude and the stregth of tidal streams. This coefficient fluctuates between 20 (small amplitude, weak currents) and 120 (large amplitude, strong currents).

The high water and low water times and height, as well as the coefficient, are given in tide tables, absolutely necessary for boating in Brittany. As bil56 wrote, you must make yourself familiar with all this, for safety reasons.

I agree with idpnd, it would be wise to carry a waterproof handheld VHF (beginning at 69€). The risk of being controlled by the police or Customs is nil. Moreover, they are favourable to boaters having a VHF (even an illegal one), because it is much more effective for rescue, and they are doing the rescue!

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 03:10   #60

Danielle,
you can download a freeware can calculate the tides for 4000 and 5000 major ports ports attached in the World, and add secondary ports.
The zero reference is the French maps. Results can be printed.
I think a good way to better undersanding the tides...

click on "telecharger" (download):
Tlcharger Mares dans le Monde sur 01net Telecharger.com

Tags
cruising, France, france