Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2013, 16:57   #1

Croatia (Split/Dubrovnik) vs Turkey (Bodrum/Gocek)

Would appreciate advice on which region offers superior sailing experience based on:

1) Wind conditions
2) Charter companies and boat condition
3) Local attractions
4) Cost

Many thanks - am considering a bareboat 38 ft cat via charter in 2014 summer and need help deciding.
Nomad2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 12:09   #2

Boat: Gitana 43
Turkey is considered to have the best winds, certainly over the years we get better sailing. Both are very interesting, Turks are probably the friendlier. Can't comment on prices though
Aquarius74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 07:36   #3

Re: Croatia (Split/Dubrovnik) vs Turkey (Bodrum/Gocek)

I can give you some information about croatia :
- in croatia there are two type of winds bora and scirocco, normally expire in 2/3 days, the wind perhaps is between 10/30 kns, and the waves aren't a problem because you have 1.300 islands where you can put in protection your boat.
- the best place where you can rent a boat is between Zara-Spalato, and some agency are: eckeryachting Ecker Yachtcharter -*Ecker Yachting*-*Home - Neno Vulic Adriaboat.Croatia yacht charter EUagent sailing boats motor yacht charter Croatia megayachts - normally you can choose the boat age;
- I belive that you can find the best attractions on Internet, but if you mean sea attraction I suggest you these places: Split, Trogir, Hvar, Vis, Korcula, Sibenik, Koronati, ecc;
- Please don't wait special prices in croatia, expecially in the summer.
stebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 08:29   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius74 View Post
Turkey is considered to have the best winds, certainly over the years we get better sailing. Both are very interesting, Turks are probably the friendlier. Can't comment on prices though
I've chartered in both of these places, in Turkey multiple times.

They are both gorgeous.

Turkey is (was -- it's been a few years) more civilized, more efficient, cheaper, better infrastructure. We had better wind and sailing. The cruising grounds around Bodrum are wonderful. People are very friendly. Food is wonderful.

Croatia -- we sailed out of Split -- was incredibly beautiful, interesting, with very interesting ancient towns besides beautiful nature. But a little wild -- poor infrastructure, rapacious taxi drivers, etc., etc. And in those days (about a decade ago) more expensive. Wind was flukier, and we went through a nasty katabatic storm, and had days of dead calm.

You probably can't go wrong either way. Both are not-to-be-missed cruising grounds. If I were forced to choose one or the other and leave tomorrow, I'd probably choose Croatia, despite the several disadvantages compared to Turkey.

Either way -- make sure and take as much time as you can. A week is not enough -- two bare minimum to actually range about a bit, get into the mood, really experience the country.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 09:24   #5
cruiser

Boat: crabber pillot cuter 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebc View Post
I can give you some information about croatia :
- in croatia there are two type of winds bora and scirocco

Actually in Croatia (Adriatic) there are 8 (eight) types of winds, but prevailing wind in the summer is the Maestral (Mistral).The predominant winter winds are the Bura and Šilok (Bora and Sirocco)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebc View Post

- the best place where you can rent a boat is between Zara-Spalato.
and where is that. i was cruising croatia for two months this summer. never heard of those places...Zara, Spalato
crabber30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 09:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabber30 View Post
Actually in Croatia (Adriatic) there are 8 (eight) types of winds, but prevailing wind in the summer is the Maestral (Mistral).The predominant winter winds are the Bura and Šilok (Bora and Sirocco)

and where is that. i was cruising croatia for two months this summer. never heard of those places...Zara, Spalato
Sorry I have used the italian name, international Zadar and Split
stebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 00:43   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad2013 View Post
Would appreciate advice on which region offers superior sailing experience based on:

1) Wind conditions
2) Charter companies and boat condition
3) Local attractions
4) Cost

Many thanks - am considering a bareboat 38 ft cat via charter in 2014 summer and need help deciding.
The specific regions from each country, best for charter, are Dalmatia (Adriatic) and the SW corner of Turkey between Bodrum and Fethiye. More wind around Bodrum!

Highly competitive chartering in both areas, so you're unlikely to be disappointed.
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia, ovni, rum, Turkey