Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2014, 04:42   #1

Boat: Morgan 461
Croatia ... Pula Croatia, marinas

We are going from Sardinia to Croatia in about a week and plan to winter there. Have found open berths in several places, including at SM-MEDITERAN MARINA in Pula. The only info I can find (one post) is at least 2 years old, but says the water is dirty, possibly smelly, and the marina is noisy. 777 Harbors and Anchorages says water is dirty and noisy but last updated 2010/2011.

Has anyone been to Pula recently? If so, how was this marina? How are the other marinas there?

THANKS!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-10-2014, 07:08   #2

Re: Croatia ... Pula Croatia, marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sher9016 View Post
We are going from Sardinia to Croatia in about a week and plan to winter there. Have found open berths in several places, including at SM-MEDITERAN MARINA in Pula. The only info I can find (one post) is at least 2 years old, but says the water is dirty, possibly smelly, and the marina is noisy. 777 Harbors and Anchorages says water is dirty and noisy but last updated 2010/2011.
...wintering in Northern Adriatic / Istria ?? - No way,
look: Bora (wind) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:01   #3

Thanks for the feedback. Are you speaking from personal experience or from research on the subject? We really only have two choices for Winter; Turkey or Croatia, as we need to reset the Schengen clock and our insurance won't cover Tunisia. Turkey would be a long sail but Croatia would be a series of short hops along the Italian coast then over to Croatia. We are also looking at Korcula, just north of Dubrovnik. Any thoughts about that area?

Old 12-10-2014, 03:19   #4

We wintered in Turkey, it was the highlight of our 2 years in the Med..mostly down wind for you guys and an easy sail if you get at it.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sher9016 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Are you speaking from personal experience or from research on the subject? We really only have two choices for Winter; Turkey or Croatia, as we need to reset the Schengen clock and our insurance won't cover Tunisia. Turkey would be a long sail but Croatia would be a series of short hops along the Italian coast then over to Croatia. We are also looking at Korcula, just north of Dubrovnik.
Some ten years ago we came from Tunisia to Trogir Marina near Split first week of November, on our way back home to Austria by car felt snow in Slovenia.
Marinas often are closed for winter in upper Adria. It 's better to stay more south, perhaps Albania. Ask Capt. Irene for more Info SAIL ALBANIA - www.sail-albania.com
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:39   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I have listened to a French couple that visited Croatia this summer. They hated it there. They said it was dirty, expensive and they felt like "walking credit cards". I do not know which parts they visisted.

They said Greece was way less expensive, better food and nicer people.

Just opinions, and not first hand.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:49   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Korcula is a nice town and decent marina. I met a couple there last year that wintered there and I think they also took an off season apartment overlooking the marina for when it gets cold. They were on a tight budget but said it was cheap to do both. Dubrovnik is also an option, not too pricey off season, or Montenegro or Albania. All those places will get cold, ie rain, wind and snow..proveza Greece would be a good option and land travel Albania, Montenegro Croatia etc to stay out of shenghan..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:53   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Also I think turkey might be just as accessible considering you will probably have a pretty slow upwind sail up the Adriatic at this time of year, and I think turkey would have 1-2 months longer sailing season with its climate
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:05   #9

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

You don't state whether you want to live aboard for the winter or just leave the boat in the water and go home or possibly even lift her out. If you can indicate which, I could give you some suggestions for wintering in Croatia.

GORDON KNIGHT
Old 12-10-2014, 07:53   #10

Thanks to all; really appreciate the feedback. We want to live aboard and do some land based excursions also. We may choose Turkey for the reasons cited in some of the responses. We spent last winter in New York, shoveling snow off the decks and don't really want to do that again; just a long sail to Turkey with few stops available, compared to hoping up Italy's east coast.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:28   #11

If you do decide to winter in Turkey let me know and I'll send you a spread sheet we did on marina winter cost. Its over a year old and I`m sure some things have changed but it would give you some insight. If you plan on wintering and traveling you just can not beat Turkey as they have excellent transportation and its cheap. The general everyday costs are also cheap and the food is the best in the Med in our opinion. We traveled all over the place during the winter and really enjoyed ourselves.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:23   #12
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

What about Porto Montenegro?

If you are going to Turkey, contact Yeloya, a fellow CF member. He owns Offshore Sailing in Marmaris and may be willing to give you some really good advice.
Old 14-10-2014, 22:01   #13
DtM

Yeloya has been very quiet of late. Where is he?
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 05:18   #14
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Working. An internet friend of mine had lunch with him yesterday. He's probably burned out on the CF and needs a break.
Old 15-10-2014, 05:59   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Unless someone waits until November, the passage from Croatia to Turkey shouldn' t be problematic, but yr call..

Busy times, David.. The hard standing is being filled up, mostly with cats. Yr friend is about to buy the L 500 and will soon come to us; the boat is in very good shape but needs to be equipped for the Atlantic trip asap, as they want to make it this season. They've asked me to skipper their boat up to Las Palmas. Nice people, if I can organise my work load, I can go with them..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia, marinas