Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2014, 08:10   #1

Croatia - first time charter

Hi everyone
I am new to the forum and wondered if anyone had some advice about sailing routes in Croatia? My soon-to-be husband and I are chartering from Split in June for a week and this will be our first solo-trip having previously always done flotillas. I'll be the only 'Day Skipper' on board so doing the wifely thing and planning this all up in advance. I was thinking of a route something like Split - Bobovisce - Stari Grad- Komiza - Solta (Marina Martinis Marchi) - Trogir - Split. Does this sound ok? In an ideal world we'd just wing it depending on the weather but given neither of us has (or particularly wants) Bora experience or much practise anchoring solo overnight, I'd prefer it if we had bookings arranged. On that note - do I need to book for the smaller anchorages such as Bobovisce and Komiza? For the larger stops is there a web site where it can be done or should I call the harbour master?
Thanks for any advice and suggestions that can be given!
Lindsay
lvmiddleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:03   #2

Boat: Selene 59
Re: Croatia - first time charter

Hi Lindsay, welcome to CF. We are headed to Croatia this year so can't give you first hand experience, yet but try this site Yacht Charter Croatia, Sailing Yacht Charter Croatia, Sailing Boats, Gulets, Motor Yachts or for more general information Frequently Asked Questions regarding yacht charter Croatia
Buena Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 17:19   #3

Boat: Comet 41s

I have cruised there several times. That zone is pretty crowded in the Summer since many charters have the base near by Split on account of the Airport. For the first night I would recommend to pick the boat as soon as possible and motor straight way (if there is no wind for good speed) for Solta, Necujan. it is an huge anchorage with several possibilities and you will have place to anchor for sure.

From there I would not go to North, as many go, but to South, passing first by Vis, just west of Solta: big bay, big anchorage and very nice small town. Then I would go South, to Korkula. Korkula should not to be missed and it has two anchorages and a marina. With some luck you will find a place. To the west you have Lastovo that has beautiful anchorages. To the South you have Mljet and his National Park (you have to see the conditions to visit) and more to the South Sipan and Lopud. The zone South of Sipan, North of Lopud is just wonderful, with great anchorages small lovelly towns and no cars.

Why I would prefer the South to the North of Split? Go to google Earth and look. On the North the Islands are bald. No vegetation, to the South they are covered with forest.

Sure Trogir is very nice to visit but the marina is dirty, the anchorage is lousy. Hvar is also very nice but the density of charters there and in all coves around is just depressing. It is very hard to find a place and I hate the pressure of looking. On that area everybody starts to look for a place for the night after lunch

Just buy this (if you do not have it) and prepare the navigation and possible options with time:

Imray 777 Harbours & Anchorages Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro & Albania - Only £38.00 - Force 4 Chandlery

Here you can have information regarding the places where you will find buoy camps (they take your garbage away and sometimes bring bread in the morning). It is useful to avoid them or in the case you want to use them to know where they are. The buoys cost about 25 Euros/ night for a 40ft boat.

Anchorages in Croatia: The Anchorages Map

Have fun
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 17:43   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we are in tunisia right now and headed that way later in the summer -- thanks for the thoughts -- as for 777 we could not get it here in the usa as there is a new edition coming out in april and could only find one old one and with the changes in that part of the world decided to wait and hope we can get it before we sail out in april some time

oh we are just visiting a new grandson in usa
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 17:48   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I would agree , go south. Korcula can be difficult to find a berth.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2014, 19:02   #6
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

for me it would depend on the weather forecast at the time, and also on your expectations for how much sailing vs time at anchor/time on land. getting to Mljet would just be doable with the right weather conditions with stops around vis and korcula. If conditions aren't good for sailing south, you could sail up to the waterfalls at Krka. Stops to the North I would recommend Primosten mooring buoys, south of kaprije restaurant buoys, drvenik vali, really nice restraunt buoys or anchor, bobovisca- good mooring
To the south, bobovisca, the bay 1m NW of hvar- restraunt buoys,the island opposite hvar (restraunt zori) , korcula, Polace - Mljet anchorage. Loviste - good anchorage. Personally I wouldn't plan too much and sail and anchor depending on the weather. The islands are all idyllic and theres no need to see them all as they're all kind of the same anyway. (beautiful harbors/restaurants/swimming) Korcula, Split and dubrovnic are nice towns to visit if you have some time there before or after your charter, as is the national park inland from Split. All speak english pretty well. I wouldn't provision for dinnertime meals, just pick up a restaurant buoy and eat out every night.
Personally if I had to plan it I would do bobovice, then the bay NW of Hvar, then the island opposite Hvar, then drvenik vali then back to Split. That allows for a surprise anchorage or for staying more than a night in some of those beautiful places. Most sails would be around 4 hrs between and if thats not enough sailing for you just head out towards Italy then tack back....
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 02:53   #7

Hello all, thanks a lot for all the thoughts, it sounds like there's a lot of options and maybe not the pressure I was expecting to get all the stops booked in advance. We'll hope for good wind and try and get to a few of those. The trip is June so I ll report back for anyone travelling after that point.
lvmiddleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 08:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmiddleton View Post
Hello all, thanks a lot for all the thoughts, it sounds like there's a lot of options and maybe not the pressure I was expecting to get all the stops booked in advance. ...
Don't do that. That takes all fun from cruising. As I said there are plenty of buoys were you can stay. Two years ago I made all Croatia, from Slovenia to Montenegro and the only region I found crowded to the point where I need to look in several bays to have a place for the night was on the Hvar region.

Just select several anchoring spots or town quays for each leg (plenty of them) and you will not have a problem. Only in what regards marinas, specially in historic cities you will have a problem and regarding those if you don't want to skip them, it makes sense to book in advance.
Old 15-03-2014, 09:35   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

passing first by Vis, just west of Solta.

Then I would go South, to Korkula.
Vis Just west, "JUST"...good three hours sailing from Solta

"Korkula"....where is that
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 12:54   #10

And 18nm are too much for a sailing day

Try Korčula. It is on the Island of the same name 42nm South of Vis. In the middle you have the town of Hvar on the Island of the same name but for stay there you would have to book otherwise only by miracle you will find a place. To the South of Hvar on the same Island you have several other anchorages.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:47   #11
Sailbeat | #1 Yacht Charter Portal

Send a message via Skype™ to SailBeat

Hi Lindsay

Heres a quick overview of Croatia. Should provide answer a few of your questions. Generally you'll be ok but I would suggest heading in a bit earlier then usual to make sure you get a place and can use the light to anchor.

Yacht Charter Croatia | Sailing Holidays Croatia
Old 12-11-2014, 00:42   #12

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Lindsay,
While the Bora can be a problem, the Adriatic marine forecasts are very good. We have been sailing in Croatia from Split for 5 years and first experienced a true strong Bora 2 weeks ago. Weather in June should be good and bad weather rare and short lived. Choose your harbours based on the forecast, Bora from the NE and Yugo from the SE. You have had some good advice so far. My advice:
  • get 777 Harbours and Anchorages which is all you need as a pilot book
  • Forecast is 0745, 1445 and 2145 summer time, announced on CH16. 777 shows a map where the transmitters are to choose the channel. Take heed of any warning issued at the start and act accordingly. Also on internet Weather forecast for the Adriatic. You get good wind etc charts on DHMZ
  • I never book ahead and few people do although some popular places like Primosten this happens more.
  • Your proposed route sounds fine and they are all nice places. One of the joys of sailing the area is swimming in warm water off the boat, and apart from Bobovisce on the buoys, I do not willingly swim in harbours. Suggest a lunch anchor at Maslinica on the way into Stari Grad; Vinogradisce bay on the Pakleni (stunning bay) on the way to Vis and places like Sesula (Solta), Krknas (Drevenik Veliki), Vinisce (Mainland) when in vicinity of Maslinica (Solta) and Trogir. For you first week solo, that will be enjoyable and achievable.
  • Stern to moorings on lazylines is a bit daunting the first time. Suggest you go and find a buoy and practice motoring astern up to it. All the modern boats handle well astern, where it usually goes wrong is either being too timid (stopping too soon) or slack work with the lines. You need 1 line each side at the stern and the boat hook extended plus fenders down each side at boat hight. Normal procedure is to motor in astern and harbourmaster will tension lazy line on weather side. Crew picks up lazy line with boathook and takes it smartly forward and pulls in to hold bow from swinging, meanwhile driver stops boat 1m from quay and lobs weather stern line to harbourmaster who will take through ring and return. Other stern line ditto then adjust. Gets more interesting with a side wind.
You should have a great time
Stephen
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 11:35   #13

We chartered last year from Primosten. We went up to Sibenik and Skraden then south to Milna, Komiza, Stari grad. Initially was upset that most of the marinas were booked, but then realised that most anchor or use moorings outside the marinas and then use the dingy to go ashore. It was fantastic - friendly people, wonderful food, beautiful country - we are considering going back again this year and visiting Korcula. You wont be disappointed where ever you end up. Enjoy
shrimpydancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, Croatia