Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-06-2015, 14:18   #1

Boat: Trader 39 11.8mts. Carlina
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian Streten
Costs implemented for mooring in Sami Harbour.

Today in Sami we were asked to pay a mooring fee. We point blank refused & quoted Law 4526 that was introduced in April 2014. This stated that you should not have to pay a fee if the harbour does not offer electricity, mooring lines & metered watered. We were told that this new law was introduced just today. We were not shown any official paperwork, just a hand written reference on the front of a book of receipts. We were told that all Greek harbours & Mariners will now be charging for mooring boats. Has anybody else be subjected to this?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 19-06-2015, 14:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Costs implemented for mooring in Sami Harbour.

How much?

Old 19-06-2015, 21:59   #3

1 per metre

Old 19-06-2015, 22:28   #4

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Back in 1960, I was stationed on the USCGC Courier (VOA transmitter ship) in Rhodes, if you are in need of some fine Greek expletives, I'm sure I could furnish you with a few.
I even remember our Captain using them (and a few "pente"s) once when a Greek fisherman cut us off.
Old 19-06-2015, 23:38   #5

Boat: between boats

If by mooring fees you mean port dues then yes we have been paying these off and on since we entered greece 3 years ago. Not always collected but nothing new at all. 1 euro per meter is a bit higher than average but its the same as here in Pythagorion where we are anchored off right now.(double for a cat though which is not the norm)

Not sure about the law 452 and mooring lines as you wont often find them in harbours.

Its still way way cheaper than any marina you will come across and usually pretty good value for the location to towns etc.
Old 20-06-2015, 02:40   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

the greeks need to raise 1.8 billion by Friday...............
Old 20-06-2015, 02:43   #7

Correction. Law4256 not 4526.

Yes have got to agree re. not much compared to other marinas/harbours, but when you have been coming to a port for several years & then charges are introduced for exactly the same services as before it is hard to swallow. I understand that we are in Greece, & enjoying all that it has to offer, but to arrive at a familiar port & without any previous notification told that as of today you must pay is not how it should be done. Also to be told by the port police that we still have to report with our ships papers every time we enter a port when it is quite obvious they do not know the latest legislation or don't want to know!!

Old 20-06-2015, 02:59   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Streten View Post
Correction. Law4256 not 4526.

Yes have got to agree re. not much compared to other marinas/harbours, but when you have been coming to a port for several years & then charges are introduced for exactly the same services as before it is hard to swallow. I understand that we are in Greece, & enjoying all that it has to offer, but to arrive at a familiar port & without any previous notification told that as of today you must pay is not how it should be done. Also to be told by the port police that we still have to report with our ships papers every time we enter a port when it is quite obvious they do not know the latest legislation or don't want to know!!

If Greece exits the EU-I would be inclined to exit for a while as well. They will be desperate for money and boaters have money... jes saying......
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 10:44   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 411

Got back from the Ionian three days ago - two weeks sailing tounpd Ithaca, Lefkas cephalonia, kastos, Kalamos etc.. Spoke to lots of liveaboards and others.. No inkling of this.. I think someone is trying it on!
Old 20-06-2015, 16:18   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Summer 1 sailing in the Aegean, summer 2 in Australia (earning $ to pay for summer 1)
Boat: FP Lipari 42, Katmazu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Streten View Post
Today in Sami we were asked to pay a mooring fee. We point blank refused & quoted Law 4526 that was introduced in April 2014. This stated that you should not have to pay a fee if the harbour does not offer electricity, mooring lines & metered watered. We were told that this new law was introduced just today. We were not shown any official paperwork, just a hand written reference on the front of a book of receipts. We were told that all Greek harbours & Mariners will now be charging for mooring boats. Has anybody else be subjected to this?

I have been paying port fees for past 3 years in Greek harbours and considering how cheap it is have been very happy to pay. Water and electricity has almost always been extra. They have tended not to push it in most places ie if you didn't go to the office they didn't come to you but my understanding is that there has always been a port fee payable, usually less than 10 Euro for my 12m cat. Last year in August was told that the Port Police was handing over responsibility for fees to the local council but didn't manage to work out who to pay after that. Have always been asked to report with ships papers so they can calculate the fees due and procedure didn't seem onerous.
Not sure how you expect them to communicate with you in advance but you can always vote with your feet and go somewhere in the Western Med where they really know how to make you bleed.

TwT
Old 23-06-2015, 09:30   #11

Boat: between boats

Well the council rent collector is especially insistent at pythagoria on Samos. We pulled up at the town quay 2 days ago and were asked to pay 20 euro for a 20 minute stay.

"but im not staying" I said.
"doesnt matter - 5 minutes or 1 day the charge is the same" he said
"ill leave then" i said
"you must still pay as i have written the ticket now or you must come to the port police AND BE ARRESTED"

The port police backed him up so I paid.

So be warned for this little town. ive never had anything like this elsewhere in greece but maybe the financial strife and the outsourcing of collections is going to mean more of this.

Also they charged a higher than usual port fee by adding a separate power and water fee that was compulsory bringing my eventual 1 1/2 hours to 20 euros for 12m cat.

Anyone ever experienced a charge for a short stay in Greece like this?
Old 23-06-2015, 10:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys_with_time View Post
I have been paying port fees for past 3 years in Greek harbours and considering how cheap it is have been very happy to pay. Water and electricity has almost always been extra. They have tended not to push it in most places ie if you didn't go to the office they didn't come to you but my understanding is that there has always been a port fee payable, usually less than 10 Euro for my 12m cat. Last year in August was told that the Port Police was handing over responsibility for fees to the local council but didn't manage to work out who to pay after that. Have always been asked to report with ships papers so they can calculate the fees due and procedure didn't seem onerous.
Not sure how you expect them to communicate with you in advance but you can always vote with your feet and go somewhere in the Western Med where they really know how to make you bleed.

TwT

You seem to have totally missed the point that I was trying to put across. Firstly it is well documented that you now only need to report to the PP once a year to validate your Dekpra & consolidate your boat papers. So this particular Port Policeman, like so many, was not fully aware of his countries own legislation. Secondly, yes I am fully aware of if you don't like it vote with your keel comment but again you seem to have missed the point that is not the issue. A law was introduced last April (4256) & like so many in Greece is not being adhered to. I am not anti with regard to paying for facilities but I wish those people trying to implement it had some better training & consistences with it's application. Also your comment with regard to "How can you expect them to communicate with you" I was moored up in Sami the previous week with no mention or posted notification of this impending charge.

Old 24-06-2015, 03:48   #13

Boat: Fortune 30

In cases like this, and after over 30 years of traveling and sailing in Greece, I would say this is pretty normal. Occasionally out of the blue you can get ripped off. And when it happens there's not much you can do about it. Read about our experience in Zakintosh three years ago.

We love Greece and the Greek people and if the cost we're being unfairly charged isn't high, then we swallow our frustration and pay it. Sometimes we stay one night and then avoid the place or the official in the future.

Robyn
Yofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 11:09   #14

The mooring fee for 45 ft catamaran was 8 eur last week , not to much I suppose

Tags
men, mooring

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: