Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 07:54   #1
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Costa Smeralda

I'm looking for any first hand advice in regard to the anchor spots in these photo's. I have friends who are looking at booking a hotel in the Costa Smeralda area while we are there. The marina's charge somewhere north of 400 euros per day so I'm looking for good anchor spots. The Italian Waters Pilot shows these are acceptable spots.

Does anyone know if there are restrictions on anchoring in them? Goggle Earth shows boats moored in both locations but I'm wondering if the area marine patrols will hassle me about anchoring for a week there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor Spots 1.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	39767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor Spots 2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	39768  

Old 10-04-2012, 08:09   #2

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht
Re: Costa Smeralda

Anchorage 1 is beautiful, but the shelter is not very good with anything north in the wind (which is not uncommon around the Maddalena Islands). Shelter in anchorage 2 is much better, but there is quite thick weed on the bottom and you may need two or three attempts to get your anchor through. A pointy anchor like a Delta, Fortress or CQR is better than a plough anchor such as a Bruce. There were no restrictions on anchoring when we were there, but you need to pay for a permit if you cruise north to the Maddalena Islands, which are a national park. If you get a bad forecast in the anchorage, there's a small marina at Cannigione at the head of the Gulf of Arzachena where you can get shelter. It wasn't too costly when we were there, but then that was in 2003. Anyway, better an expensive night or two in a marina than a costly boat repair!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:14   #3

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I'm looking for any first hand advice in regard to the anchor spots in these photo's. I have friends who are looking at booking a hotel in the Costa Smeralda area while we are there. The marina's charge somewhere north of 400 euros per day so I'm looking for good anchor spots. The Italian Waters Pilot shows these are acceptable spots.

Does anyone know if there are restrictions on anchoring in them? Goggle Earth shows boats moored in both locations but I'm wondering if the area marine patrols will hassle me about anchoring for a week there.
Ok,

I was there during early September 2010.

Anchor 1 is called Cala di Battistone. You can anchor in 5 meters outside of the buoys (rope line for swimming etc) which are there during the summer, However it's on rock and sand so you may need to re-set a few times otherwise you'er going to find the holding poor. The upside is that the water is very clear so the crew member at the bow can direct you straight over the sands.

Anchor 2 is called North Bay. It's quite well sheltered but you can get swell coming in from the northwest. You anchor in 3-5m on sand and weed.

Be careful when rounding Capo Tre Monti, the headland between the two, as it's submerged-rock-ville to the west of the headland so you'll want to give it a respectful stand-off.

Only 1 kilometer to the east of Cala di Battistone is Marina dell'Orso with 410 berths. We only put our nose in there for a look but appeared to have a fuel dock at the enterance, a crane, toilets and water/electricity stands at each berth.

You should be quite free to anchor, however, you may want to invest in one of the "Marine Reserve" tourist cards which are a form of tourist tax, they're inexpensive and over you for a week at a time. I can't remember the the exact name and cost exactly but you can get them at one of the capitainerie when you check in - this also permits you to anchor in some of the other more-restricted anchorages up towards Maddalena and Caprera.

Hope this answered your questions,

Phil
Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

iv'e only used the bay south of palau to anchor in,which is great and very well protected.

the 2 anchorages you have pointed out will both be very exposed,the wind is regulary over 35 knots from the nw in the strs of bonafacio and the maddelena peninsula .

would think there is no anchoring restriction,apart from inshore swimming area,and the depth which drops off quite sharply.

you may get away with anchoring outside porto cervo!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I have friends who are looking at booking a hotel in the Costa Smeralda area while we are there.
Forgot to mention 2 things:
1) I'm jealous that you're going to be around the area - the cruising around there is fantastic, the same can be said for Corsica too!
2) I recommend "Corsica and North Sardinia" by John Marchment. It's an Imray pilot guide but covers the title's namesake in greater detail than Rod's Italian Waters Guide, IMHO especially when it comes to anchorages etc. ISBN 978-085288914-5... it looks pricey but you can get a good second-hand one for around $35-$38: Amazon.com: Used and New: Corsica and North Sardinia
Old 10-04-2012, 08:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
iv'e only used the bay south of palau to anchor in,which is great and very well protected.

the 2 anchorages you have pointed out will both be very exposed,the wind is regulary over 35 knots from the nw in the strs of bonafacio and the maddelena peninsula .

would think there is no anchoring restriction,apart from inshore swimming area,and the depth which drops off quite sharply.

you may get away with anchoring outside porto cervo!
Atoll raises a good point: we once got stuck in Bonifacio for 6 days while we waited for the wind to drop below 40knots outside in the strait.. this tends to happen more as you move outside of peak-season.. so when you move into September/October, the chance of the tail-end of the mistral punching through the North West to mid parts of Sardinia, especially though the Bonafacio straits, increases dramatically. The mistral comes down and vears with phenomenal fetch from southern France, and is funneled between and over the islands of Sardinia and Corsica - this results in the swell you can experience in Anchorage 1, so you need to be sure that your holding is good as you're going to have a lee-shore to your SouthEast. If it's forecast for wind over 20-25 knots I would recommend that you consider putting into the marina I mentioned to the East of your friend's hotel for a couple of nights: It's well protected and the prevailing wind blows mostly over the top of the marina as it's down in a gully
Old 10-04-2012, 09:28   #7

Wow, that's some great information. My primary anchor is a Delta with 350' of chain so that should help with the holding. Cavalier, that marina to the East, Poltu Quatu, is where my friends had initially looked at staying and me getting a berth for 4 days. It cost more to berth my boat then stay in a suite!! 400 euro per night!

I am concerned about anchoring in Corsica as the bays appear more exposed then around the Maddalena Archipelago.

Thank you all, your experience is greatly appreciated.
Old 13-04-2012, 08:24   #8

Boat: Bavaria 37

IMHO, there are so many secured anchorages in a circle of 3 Nautical Miles from the hotel of your friends, that you will have the choice according to the real whether you will have at that moment. You can choice a daylight mooring to be near from your friends and a secure mooring for the night, or if the forecasts are not very good. Just of the opposite side (W side) of the (Arzachena) gulf you have an excellent one except by NE winds, Cala di Palma is protected from quite everywhere , etc...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 12:53   #9

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long

Jacques 2 is right about the choice. It's a fantastic cruising ground and you will be able to find a sheltered spot whatever the weather, but not necessarily visible from your friends' hotel window.

You will not be able to anchor at Porto Cervo. We got thrown out (along with 5 other boats) by horrid Port Police in 2010. The link is to our blog post, and if you scroll back you'll see lots about the Maddalenas.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 13:46   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
You could stay in bonefacio on Corsica. That's only a couple of hours away and reasonable.

Dave
Old 16-04-2012, 14:55   #11

Roaring Girl, It was your blog that had got me worried about where we can anchor. So I won't worry about it now. Thank you for the information and your blog, I enjoyed reading it.

Jacques, thank you for the information. We will have been cruising for about 6 weeks straight and my wife is hoping for a some extended shore time. So I'm hoping we can find a place that is secure for the boat and allows us to spend several days exploring the island interior. We will of course enjoy the archipelago also.

Dave, your advice is always appreciated. We will be coming from Bonifacio. I'd like to take my friends there for a day sail if the weather provides the opportunity.

Well, time is counting down. I head to St. Maarten in one week to do the final preperations for the crossing. It's very exciting to be so close to starting a 20 year dream.
Old 16-04-2012, 15:32   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

if you want a safe,free all weather anchorage,close to all facilities,and the airport.
the golfo aranci is ideal,nice beach's,just north of the olbia ferry terminal.
a couple of reasonably priced hotels nearby as well.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 04:04   #13

I understand that you and your wife will need some rest and shoreside pleasures, the nearest from your friends'hotel. That is the reason why you are looking for a secure spot.

So, there is another point to consider : the period you will be there.
You have to know that Costa Smeralda is crowded form mid july till end of August. I mean hundreds and hundreds of yachts and super-yachts (and among them the biggest in the world !) use to meet there in summer (You can have big waves from them in a paradisiac anchorage !).
That is one of the reason of the prices in the marinas...

I mean, if you arrive before high season you will have far more choices for anchorage.

Another point : will you have a car to visit Sardegna or not ? If yes, another solution will be to find an arrangement with one of the "pontoons holder" in Cannigione (south/end of Arzachena Gulf - be careful : not for anchorage safely when windy, it is very bad holding). It is about half an hour (in August) by car (or motoring by boat !) from the hotel of your friends. Cannigione is a more popular spot and I think it will be cheaper than a real "marina" in this area.
Old 17-04-2012, 11:58   #14

Atoll - good advice. I think we are going to Golfo Aranci for our last two nights in order to be close to the airport. It's also a good starting point for heading to Ponza.

Jacques, that is also some good advice. My friends are getting one of those large bus's for a couple days because there will be 12 of us. But what my wife and I are really looking forward to is sitting on a patio and enjoying a nice glass of wine, the sunset, and our friends without having to worry about our boat. I think anchor spot 2 is my best bet as it is only a 300 meter walk to their hotel and is fairly well protected.

So that I don't have to start another thread, does any one have some advice on this.
We will be sailing from Sardinia to the Gulf of Naples. I have one friend leaving from there and another friend arriving the next day. They are both flying back to the United States from Rome, so they will take a train from Naples to Rome. No problems on the transportation, but I'm wondering where the best place is to drop them off and pick up. We will be cruising between Ischia, Sorrento, Capri, and Positano. Are there any nice, safe marinas that you could recommend?
Thanks again.
David.
Old 18-04-2012, 12:46   #15

Only information...
I live in Corsica... Go walking this afternoon and saw very well Sardinian coasts ...
Zygrib for next days shows an example of what are the prevailing winds in Arzachena Gulf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arzachena.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	40097