Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2018, 12:51   #1

Boat: BENETEAU Oceanis 48
Clearing out of Italy

We are planning to sail from Italy to Malta. We are a non EU boat/non EU crew. We would like to clear out of Italy for a short trip to Malta. Marzamemi has been suggested, but it doesn’t look like it has customs. Any input/suggestions?
LJScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 11:57   #2

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Re: Clearing out of Italy

Provided you and your crew have valid Schengen passports there is no need to clear out of Italy as Malta is also a Schengen country. Just sail across!

There is a different regime for the boat: Your boat can stay in "Schengenland" for 18 months, then it has to leave for a non-Schengenland country for at least 1 day and then can return and the 18 months clock starts again. This has nothing to do with the above crew situation.
Old 28-08-2018, 12:23   #3

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

I am sorry, but I must offer a different viewpoint. As a United States vessel you are required to check out of Italy and turn in your Transito. This is definitely true if you do not plan to return to Italy.

Now I will say that when we left Italy to go to Malta for a two-week trip I did not check out of Italy. I did check into Malta, at Gozo. And then when I left Malta to come back to Italy I only informed them by radio.

We returned to our birth in Marina de Ragusa without informing the authorities that we had ever left the country.

Vessels registered in the EUdo not have to jump through these hoops, but as a US vessel you do.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 12:21   #4

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat

My vessel is registered in South Africa and I am a South African citizen. When I am in Italy with my boat I have never been issued a "transito" document by the authorities.

In Greece though I do require a Transit Log.
Old 06-09-2018, 00:04   #5

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
I am sorry, but I must offer a different viewpoint. As a United States vessel you are required to check out of Italy and turn in your Transito. This is definitely true if you do not plan to return to Italy.

Just realized - "Constituto", not "Transito". This is the equivalent of a transit log that US vessels are issued when they arrive in the first port in Italy.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Italy