Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2018, 07:01   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS
Cleaners for plastic spray hood windows?

After four summers the plastic in our spray hood’s windows went opaque and sticky and had to be replaced. Now, with new plastic, we are wondering what you wise folk use to clean your plastic dodger windows?

The supplier/maker of the spray hood believed the household window cleaners with alcohol in them which we had been using was too strong, and suggested an industrial alcohol (but with no suggestion of strength). Clear water only and a soft cloth, or clear water with a little vinegar has also been suggested.

Or was the damage normal as a result of four summers in the Mediterranean sun?
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 07:21   #2

Re: Cleaners for plastic spray hood windows?

Plexus is what we use.

Have you considered covers? Having been here in BC for just about only two years, I am fascinated by the number of dodgers and complete cockpit enclosures I see without any covering over the glazing compared to what I've seen elsewhere (lived in California, traveled a lot). Mybe it's just a "local custom" with a short sailing season (May-Oct) but the sun is strong and with unused boats sitting in the sun, all the glazing uncovered seems odd to me. I know how much it costs.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 09:53   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Depends on what the "plastic" material is. "Clears" are not generic.

For example, Stratoglass recommends only Imar #301 and #302... but other makers may specify different cleaners.

Start with learning from your supplier/maker what your exact material is (Regalite? Makrolon? EZ2CY? whatever), then ask them (or perhaps their website will have that info already posted).

-Chris
Old 20-06-2018, 10:41   #4

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

I believe a lot of the clear,flexible, materials are badly affected by aerosol sun tan lotion and also insect repellant,be warned!
I use IMAR, protective cleaner and also protective polish.Says it’s safe for all clear vinyl.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 11:11   #5

Boat: Catalina 36

My last windows were StratoGlass and it was very specifically noted that only IMAR products could be used.
I just had the StratoGlass windows replaced after 11 years to Makrolon but they do not mention IMAR products in any of their cleaning instructions - anyone know if IMAR products are safe for Makrolon? Or what would people suggest to use on Makronlon?
mikeo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 09:21   #6

try toothpaste on a small are

people have been using it for plastic headlamp lenses on cars with great success
Old 21-06-2018, 09:55   #7

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43

Vingar diluted in fresh water, hoseoff and dry with asoft bath towel. Works a treat in Scandinavia.
Happy lead free sailing from Lucky
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 09:56   #8

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

As previously stated, and Practical Sailor recommends Imar products, it's all I ever use. It costs too much time, and money to replace our windows, (I've done it), to use make-do, or cheap products. IMHO
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 09:57   #9

Having refurbished and repaired canvas on sailboats for the past 40years, I can tell you that there is only one product that can do both.
It is called Plexus, www,plexusplasticcleaner.com, and is used by all major aircraft manufacturer to keep the glass in the cockpits in perfect condition.
cptandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 10:10   #10

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y

This was recommended to me 15 years ago and I still use it. I buy it at a local plastic fabricator that also sells Plexus, but this is the stuff they use on their own work https://www.amazon.com/Brillianize-P...lastic+cleaner
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 10:41   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Cleaners for plastic spray hood windows?

I believe it’s actually ammonia that really does the damage.
However I learned long ago with aircraft you use only your clean hand with soap, and flush with plenty of clean water, any rag can hold grit and scratch plastic, your hand I guess is less likely to do so, and gentle soap won’t hurt anything much.
After it’s clean is when you use your polishes.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 11:11   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
After four summers the plastic in our spray hood’s windows went opaque and sticky and had to be replaced. Now, with new plastic, we are wondering what you wise folk use to clean your plastic dodger windows?

The supplier/maker of the spray hood believed the household window cleaners with alcohol in them which we had been using was too strong, and suggested an industrial alcohol (but with no suggestion of strength). Clear water only and a soft cloth, or clear water with a little vinegar has also been suggested.

Or was the damage normal as a result of four summers in the Mediterranean sun?

First, the supplier doesn't know. Don't ask him anymore questions. No, they should last a lot longer than that, even in the Med. Double, anyway.

I just finished five years of testing, including working with window restorers and vinyl vendors. Waxing and monitoring 45 test panels every month.

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...chapter-8.html

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...s_11395-1.html

There is no short answer, as the topic is complex. Subscribe; way cheaper than a set of windows.

• Covers are best, but make sure they cannot chafe.
  • Protection by waxes and protectants is very limited and full of caveats. They are mostly useful after the damage is done.
  • Plexus is a good choice for removing plastisizer goop. Armanda 210 is arguably better. Imar products are very good, particularly the cream. All are safe in the long run. However, they will not remove yellowing inside the plastic or restore flexibility, and after vigorous cleaning--and you will need to use some elbow grease--the windows will tend to fog inside the plastic in rainy weather.
  • Ammonia is bad. Solvents vary--stay away unless you are ready to do a lot of testing. Vinegar removes calcium spots but not much else. Pledge and other furniture waxes can cause a terrible build-up over time.
Yes, you can do some restoration, but you need to be very careful. Keep the vinyl wet. Use a low speed buffer (drill) and do not overheat the plastic. Be very careful to keep the bonnet free of grit. Try a really good cleaning before you move on to compounds, since they do some permanent damage to the vinyl in the process of removing scratches. I've buffed windows, and they came out fine, but I'm still not a fan.
Old 21-06-2018, 13:36   #13

I sent you a long message suggesting that you use water only but it will not reach you because the following pop up did not let it reach you.

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was invalid.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."
iliasgeorgiadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 14:20   #14

My dear friend,
My boat is in Athens Flisvos Marina (in a berth of the NOPF Yacht Club). When it rains the deck of my Moody is red colored from the African sand it brings along lately. The transparency (acrylic) of my spray-hood is like brand new after 10 years of use, however. How? I use water only. Never detergents.
What else can there be on a spray-hood? Salt, dust, sand usually. Birds are a menace. To exaggerate, a crew member may spit or vomit, drinks or food remnants may fall, etc. etc.
Plain water is good enough to clean it perfectly. Water only. When I wash my deck using detergent I pay attention not to contaminate the spray hood. When I have a helper I do not trust, I remove the spray hood and then we wash the deck.
I am not one of the wise folks. If I am, my wisdom is common sense and subsequent experience.
Avoid detergents on the new acrylic of your spray hood. From now on use plain water only and if you feel you have to rub it use the soft side of a dish cleaner or a soft foam or sponge. Listen to my advice. You will not regret it and you will not spend your money on spray hood acrylics.
Fair winds and seas,
Ilias
iliasgeorgiadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 16:25   #15

Boat: Beneteau 43

We use Dr Klears clear to sea foam for routine cleaning and use other products for deep scratches. Ours is 11 years old and people can't believe how perfect it looks. Main thing we have learned is constant cleaning and rinsing. Salt and dirt particles scratch and make it blurry..
sailorbobdeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood, wind